The first draft of this paper was presented at the 58th Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, Mexico, D.F., 1959, under the title, “Speech Variation as an Index in the Study of South Asian Civilization.”
Speech Variation and the Study of Indian Civilization1
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1961 American Anthropological Association
Volume 63, Issue 5, pages 976–988, October 1961
How to Cite
GUMPERZ, J. J. (1961), Speech Variation and the Study of Indian Civilization. American Anthropologist, 63: 976–988. doi: 10.1525/aa.1961.63.5.02a00060
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1959 A descriptive analysis of Bundeli dialect. Doctoral dissertation, Lucknow University.
- 1950 Deutsche Mundartforschung. Heidelberg, Carl Winter.
- 1946 A preliminary attempt to determine the culture areas of Asia. Southwestern Journal of Anthropology 2:117–32.
- 1960 Cultural variability and drift in the Himalayan Hills. American Anthropologist 62:774–94.
- 1933 Language. New York, Henry Holt.
- 1960 Linguistic change in some Indian caste dialects. In Linguistic diversity in South Asia, C. A.Ferguson and J. J.Gumperz, eds. Bloomington, Indiana, Research Center in Anthropology, Folklore and Linguistics.
- 1959 Some observations on the study of intermediate societies. In Intermediate societies, social mobility and communication. American Ethnological Society, Seattle.
- 1958 Vowel systems of Scots dialects. Transactions of the Philological Society 1957:107–17.
- 1960 The language problem in East Pakistan. In Linguistic diversity in South Asia, C. A.Ferguson and J. J.Gumperz, eds. Bloomington, Indiana, Research Center in Anthropology, Folklore and Linguistics.
- 1956 Pour une sociologie du langage. Paris Editions, Albin Michel.
- 1957 India as a racial, linguistic and culture area. In Introducing India in liberal education. Chicago, The University of Chicago Press.
- 1958 Networks and centers in the integration of Indian civilization. Ranchi, Bihar, Journal of Social Research 1:1–9. and
- 1961 Incipient bilingualism. Language 37:97–112.
- 1960 Literary and colloquial Bengali in modern Bengali prose. In Linguistic diversity in South Asia, C. A.Ferguson and J. J.Gumperz, eds. Bloomington, Indiana, Research Center in Anthropology, Folklore and Linguistics.
- 1959 Diglossia. Word 15:2.
- Ferguson, Charles A. and John J.Gumperz, eds. 1960 Linguistic diversity in South Asia. Bloomington, Indiana, Research Center in Anthroplogy, Folklore and Linguistics.
- 1948 Grundlegung einer Geschichte der Deutschen Sprache. Halle (Saale), Max Niemeyer Verlag.
- 19031910 Atlas Linguistique de la France. Paris. and
- 1916 Linguistic survey of India. Volume 9:1.Calcutta, Government of India.
- 1958a Dialect differences and social stratification in a North Indian village. American Anthropologist 60:668–82.
- 1958b Phonological differences in three Western Hindi dialects. Language 34:212–24.
- 1960 Formal and informal standards in the Hindi regional language area. In Linguistic diversity in South Asia, C. A.Ferguson and J. J.Gumperz, eds. Bloomington, Indiana, Research Center in Anthropology, Folklore and Linguistics. and
- 1958 Institutional linguistics. Orbis 7:441–55.
- 1950 Age grading and linguistic continuity. Language 26:449–57.
- 1936 Aspects geographique du langage, Paris.
- 192840 Sprach und sachatlas Italiens und der Sudschweiz. Zofingen (Suisse), Ringmiret Co. and
- 1939 Cultural and natural areas of native North America. University of California Publications in American Archeology and Ethnology 38:1–242.
- 1952 The nature of culture. Chicago, The University of Chicago Press.
- 1954 Dialect. Romance Philology 8:1.
- 1958 American English dialects. In The Structure of American English, W. NelsonFrancis, ed. New York, The Ronald Press Company.
- 1952 Introduction to a survey of Scottish dialects. Edinburgh, Thomas Nelson and Sons.
- 1950 Deutsche Sprachgeschichte. Stuttgart, Curt E. Schwab.
- 1960 The short vowel systems of Northern Switzerland. Word 16:155–82.
- 1960 Tamil—literary and colloquial. In Linguistic diversity in South Asia, C. A.Ferguson and J. J.Gumperz, eds. Bloomington, Indiana, Research Center in Anthropology and Linguistics.
- 1957 American linguistic geography: a sociological appraisal. Word 12:211.
- 1955 The status significance of an isolated urban dialect. Language Supplement, Language Dissertation No. 53. and
- 1960 The marriage network and structural change in a North Indian Community. Southwestern Journal of Anthropology. 16:299–311.
- 1952 Review of A word geography of the eastern United States, Kurath. Studies in Linguistics 9:7–12.
- 1956 The phonemic patterns of Polish dialects. For Roman Jakobson. The Hague, 518ff.
- 1951 Levels of socio-cultural integration: an operational concept. Southwestern Journal of Anthropology 7:374–90.
- 1951 An outline of English structure. Norman, Oklahoma, The University of Oklahoma Press. and
- 1949 Phonologie et geographic linguistique. Principes de Phonologie, Paris 343.
- 1938 The American Indian, 3rd ed. New York, Oxford University Press.