We are indebted to Rice University for financial aid in support of the research upon which this paper is based. We are also grateful to the following persons for offering information or suggestions helpful in the preparation of this paper: Robert Anderson, Paul Bohannan, Warren d'Azevedo, M. J. Herskovits, E. A. Hoebel, George P. Murdock, Trenton Wann, Leslie A. White, and Frank W. Young.
The Interpretation of Data: Puberty Rites1
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1962 American Anthropological Association
Volume 64, Issue 3, pages 463–485, June 1962
How to Cite
NORBECK, E., WALKER, D. E. and COHEN, M. (1962), The Interpretation of Data: Puberty Rites. American Anthropologist, 64: 463–485. doi: 10.1525/aa.1962.64.3.02a00010
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1933 The Tiv people. Lagos, The Government Printer.
- 1950 Acculturation and personality among the Wisconsin Chippewa. American Anthropological Association Memoir 72.
- 1923 The concept of the guardian spirit in North America. American Anthropological Association Memoir 29.
- 1954 Symbolic wounds. Glencoe, The Free Press.
- 1952 A genealogical charter. Africa, Journal of the International African Institute, 22:301–15. London, Oxford University Press.
- 1954 Circumcision among the Tiv. Man 54:2–6.
- 1957 Tiv Farm and Settlement Colonial Research Studies 15. London, Her Majesty's Stationery Ofice.
- 1953 The Tiv of Central Nigeria. Ethnographic Survey of Africa, Western Africa, Part 8. London, International African Institute. and
- 1958 Three source notebooks on Tiv ethnography. Unpublished manuscript. New Haven, Human Relations Area Files. and
- 1942 Principles of anthropology. New York, Henry Holt and Co. , and
- East, Rupert, ed. 1939 Akiga's story: The Tiv tribe as seen by one of its members. London, Oxford University Press.
- 1958 A comprehensive dictionary of psychological and psychoanalytic terms. New York, Longmans, Green & Co. and
- 1951 Patterns of sexual behavior. Harper & Bros., and Paul B. Hoeber. and
- 1938 Social and psychological aspects of education in Taleland. Africa, Supplement to Vol. 11, No. 4.
- 1945 The dynamics of clanship among the Tallensi. London, Oxford University Press.
- 1949 The web of kinship among the Tallensi. London, Oxford University Press.
- 1939 Moses and monotheism. KatherineJones, trans. London, Hogarth Press & Institute of Psycho-Analysis.
- 1938 Himalayan village. London, Michael Joseph Ltd.
- 1923 The Cheyenne Indians; their history and way of life. 2 vols. New Haven, Yale University Press.
- 1955 Culture and experience. Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania Press.
- 1927 Polynesian religion. Bernice P. Bishop Museum, Bulletin 34.
- 1938 Dahomey: an ancient West African kingdom. 2 vols. New York, J. J. Augustin.
- 1957 Araucanian child life and its cultural background.Smithsonian Miscellaneous Collections 133.
- 1960 The Cheyennes: Indians of the Great Plains. New York, Henry Holt and Co.
- 1935 The Ojibwa Indians of Parry Island, their social and religious life. Ottawa, Canada Department of Mines, National Museum of Canada, Bulletin 78.
- 1935 The head hunters of western Amazonas: the life and culture of the Jibaro Indians of eastern Ecuador and Peru. Societas Scientiarum Fennica: Commentationes Humanarum Litterarum 7:1.
- 1948 The Navaho. Cambridge, Harvard University Press. and
- 1937 The Ojibwa of Canada. Unpublished manuscript. New Haven, Human Relations Area Files.
- 1909 Ethnology of the Araucanos. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland 39:334–70.
- 1948 Children of the people. Cambridge, Harvard University Press. and
- 1950 A critique of culture-personality writings. American Sociological Review 15:587–600. and
- 1929 The sexual life of savages. New York, Halcyon House.
- 1955 Sex and repression in savage society. New York, Meridian Books. (First published 1927).
- 1902 The night chant, a Navaho ceremony. Memoirs of the American Museum of Natural History 6.
- 1960 Coming of age in Samoa. New York, Mentor Books. (First published 1928).
- 1955 Psychological statistics. New York, Wiley.
- 1938 Living with Lepchas. London, Wm. Heinemann Ltd.
- 1949 The Eastern Timbira. University of California Publications in American Archaeology and Ethnology 41.
- 1941 An Apache life-way. Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1956 Chisungu. New York, Grove Press.
- 1958 Measurement and statistics. New York, Oxford University Press.
- 1958 A profile of primitive culture. New York, Harper and Bros.
- 1956 Nonparametric statistics for the behavioral sciences. New York, McGraw-Hill.
- 1880 Notes on the Jivaros and Canelos Indians. Journal of the Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland 9:385–92.
- 1951 Mathematics, measurement, and psychophysics.In S. S.Stevens, ed., Handbook of experimental psychology. New York, Wiley.
- 1930 Die Indianer Nordost-Perus: Grundlegende Forschungen für eine Systematische Kulturkunde. Hamburg, Friederichsen, de Gruyter und Co.
- 1951 Araucanian culture in transition. Occasional Contributions from the Museum of Anthropology of the University of Michigan 15. Ann Arbor, University of Michigan Press.
- 1960 The rites of passage. M. B.Vizedom and G. L.Caffee, trans., Chicago, The University of Chicago Press. (French edition 1909.).
- 1945 Bosquejo sobre los Indios Shuaras o Jibaros. America Indigena 5:35–49.
- 1953 Child training and personality. New Haven, Yale University Press. and
- 1958 The function of male initiation ceremonies at puberty. In Readings in social psychology, E. E.Maccoby, T. M.Newcomb, and E. L.Hartley, eds. , , and
- The function of male initiation ceremonies: a cross-cultural test of an alternative hypothesis. (Unpublished manuscript). n.d.