A slightly abridged version of this paper was read at the 59th Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association in Minneapolis, Minnesota, November, 1960. The field research was conducted under a Ford Foundation Fellowship during 1956 and 1957. Sponsorship and additional aid was provided by the Program of African Studies at Northwestern University and is gratefully acknowledged. I am indebted to David Schneider for his valuable criticism of an early draft of this paper. I wish also to thank Lloyd Fallers, Marshall Sahlins, Robert Murphy, and Vernon Dorjahn for their comments and useful suggestions.
Common Principles of Variant Kinship Structures among the Gola of Western Liberia1
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1962 American Anthropological Association
Volume 64, Issue 3, pages 504–520, June 1962
How to Cite
D'AZEVEDO, W. L. (1962), Common Principles of Variant Kinship Structures among the Gola of Western Liberia. American Anthropologist, 64: 504–520. doi: 10.1525/aa.1962.64.3.02a00030
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1937 Polygamy in Mende country. Africa 10:249–64.
- 1959 Nonunilinear descent and descent groups. American Anthropologist 61:557–72.
- 1959 The setting of Gola society and culture: some implications of variation in time and space. Kroeber Anthropological Society Papers No. 21:43–125.
- 1959 The organization and functions of the Ragbenle Society of the Temne. Africa 29:156–69.
- 1960 The changing political system of the Temne. Africa 30:110–39.
- 1961 The initiation of Temne Poro officials. Man 27:36–40.
- 1959 Primitive political systems: a preliminary comparative analysis. American Anthropologist 61:200–20.
- 1929 Primitive economics of the New Zealand Maori. New York. E. P. Dutton.
- 1936 We, the Tikopia. London, Allen and Unwin.
- 1957 A note on descent groups in Polynesia. Man 57:4–8.
- 1957 The classification of corporate unilineal descent groups. The Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 87:1–29.
- 1955 A problem in Malayo-Polynesian social organization. American Anthropologist 57:71–83.
- Goody, Jack, ed. 1958 The developmental cycle in domestic groups. Cambridge Papers in Social Anthropology No. 1, New York.
- 1938 The Sherbro of Sierra Leone. Philadelphia, The University Press.
- 1955 The principles of clanship in human society. Davidson Journal of Anthropology 1:1–10.
- 1954 Political systems of Highland Burma. Cambridge, Harvard University Press.
- 1951 The Mende of Sierra Leone. London, Routledge & K. Paul.
- 1948 Social organization. New York, Rinehart and Co.
- 1950 Peoples of Sierra Leone Protectorate. London, International African Institute.
- 1926 A view of Sierra Leone. London, K. Paul, Trench, Trubner & Co., Ltd.
- 1957 World ethnographic sample. American Anthropologist 59:664–87.
- 1959 Africa, its peoples and their culture history. New York, McGraw-Hill.
- 1954 Bilateral kin groupings as a structural type. Journal of East Asiatic Studies 3:199–202.
- 1958 Social stratification in Polynesia. Seattle, University of Washington Press.
- 1928 Liberia, old and new. New York (Garden City), Doubleday Doran and Co. and
- 1921 Die Kpelle. Leipzig, J. C. Hinrichs.