The Structure of the Sinhalese Kindred: A Re-Examination of the Dravidian Terminology
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1962 American Anthropological Association
Volume 64, Issue 3, pages 548–575, June 1962
How to Cite
YALMAN, N. (1962), The Structure of the Sinhalese Kindred: A Re-Examination of the Dravidian Terminology. American Anthropologist, 64: 548–575. doi: 10.1525/aa.1962.64.3.02a00060
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1956 Society in medieval Ceylon. Colombo.
- 1960 Caste in Jaffna, In Aspects of caste in South India, Ceylon, and North-West Pakistan, E. R.Leach, ed. Cambridge Papers in Social Anthropology 2:61–77. Cambridge.
- 1953 The Dravidian kinship terminology as an Expression of marriage. Man 54.
- 1957 Hierarchy and marriage alliance in South Indian kinship. Occasional Papers of the Royal Anthropological Institute No. 12. London, Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland.
- 1937 Toda marriage regulations and taboos. American Anthropologist 39:103–12.
- 1938 Kinship and marriage among the Coorgs. Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society (Bengal), Vol. 4.
- 1941 Language and social forms In Language, culture, and personality. L.Spier, ed. Menasha, Wisconsin, Sapir Memorial Public Fund.
- 1955 Female initiation rites on the Malabar coast. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 85: 45–78.
- 1956 Brahmin kinship in a Tamil village. American Anthropologist 58:826–53.
- 1959 Review of Une sous caste de l'Inde du sud, by L. Dumont. Man, Nov. 59:202.
- 1960 Caste in a Tanjore village. In Aspects of caste in South India, Ceylon, and North-West Pakistan, E. R.Leach, ed. Cambridge Papers in Social Anthropology 2. Cambridge.
- 1928 The Indo-European kinship system. Ceylon Journal of Science, Section G, I:179–86.
- 1937 Travancore castes and tribes. (Trivandrum).
- 1951 Structural implications of matrilateral cross-cousin marriage. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute.
- 1960 The Sinhalese of the dry zone of northern Ceylon. In Social structure in southeast Asia, G. P.Murdock, ed. Viking Fund Publications in Anthropology 29, New York.
- 1961 Pul Eliya: a village in Ceylon. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.
- 1949 Les structures élémentaires de la parenté. Paris Presse Universitaires de France.
- 1949 Murngin social organization, American Anthropologist 51:45–58. and
- 1958 Sisters daughter marriage in a Mysore village. Man in India 38, no. 1.
- 1870 Systems of consanguinity and affinity of the human family. Smithsonian Contributions to Knowledge 17:1–590.
- 1935 Report of the Kandyan Law Commission. Colombo.
- 1956 Sinhalese social organization: the Kandyan period. Colombo, Ceylon University Press Board.
- 1951 Murngin social organization. American Anthropologist 53:37–55.
- 1906 The Todas. London, New York, Macmillan & Co., Ltd.
- 1907 The marriage of cousins in India. Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society.
- 1953 Caste in modem Ceylon. New Brunswick, Rutgers University Press.
- 1958 Sinhalese village. Coral Gables, Florida, University of Miami Press.
- 1957 The disintegrating village. Peradeniya. and
- 1952 Religion and society among the Coorgs of South India. Oxford.
- 1958 The structure of kinship and its relationship to land possession and residence in Pata Dumbara, Central Ceylon. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 88, Part 1.
- 1937 A black civilization. New York & London, Harper & Bros.
- 1956 Kandyans and the Sonagar. (MS in the Perne Library, Peterhouse, Cambridge).
- 1958 Kandyan marriage, landlords, laborers, and aristocrats. (MS in the University Library, Cambridge).
- 1960 The flexibility of caste principles in a Kandyan community. In Aspects of caste in South India, Ceylon, and North-west Pakistan, E. R.Leach, ed. Papers in Social Anthropology 2. Cambridge.
- 1961 The structure of Sinhalese healing rituals. Proceedings of the Berkeley Conference on Religion in South Asia, E.Harper, ed. (forthcoming).
- 1962a Sinhalese-Tamil intermarriage on the East Coast of Ceylon. Sociologus, Berlin (forthcoming).
- 1962b On the purity of women in the castes of Ceylon and Malabar. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute. 92. Part 2 (forthcoming).