My thanks are due to Professor J. C. Mitchell of the University College of Rhodesia and Nyasaland, who kindly read the manuscript before publication and made valuable suggestions.
Migrancy and the Study of Africans in Towns1
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1962 American Anthropological Association
Volume 64, Issue 3, pages 576–592, June 1962
How to Cite
MAYER, P. (1962), Migrancy and the Study of Africans in Towns. American Anthropologist, 64: 576–592. doi: 10.1525/aa.1962.64.3.02a00070
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1958 Politics in an urban African community. Manchester, Manchester University Press.
- 1958 Analysis of a social situation in modern Zululand. Rhodes-Livingstone Paper no. 28.
- 1960 Tribalism in modern British Central Africa. Cahiers d'études africaines No. 1, 55ff. Paris.
- 1961 Anthropological problems arising from the African industrial revolution. In Social change in modern Africa, A.Southall, ed. Oxford University Press.
- 1957 Labour migration in a rural economy. Kampala. East African Studies No. 6. East African Institute of Social Research.
- 1961 Townsmen or tribesmen. Cape Town, Oxford University Press, for Rhodes University Institute of Social and Economic Research.
- 1956 The Kalela dance. Rhodes-Livingstone Paper 27. Manchester, Manchester University Press.
- 1959a The causes of labour migration. Bulletin of the Inter-African Labour Institute, Vol. VI, no. 1.
- 1959b The study of African urban social structure. Unpublished paper for CCTA Conference on Housing and Urbanisation, Nairobi.
- 1959c Social change and the new towns of Bantu Africa. Unpublished paper for Round Table Conference on Social Implications of Technological change. Paris, Social Science Council.
- 1960a Tribalism and the plural society. Inaugural lecture, University College of Rhodesia and Nyasaland. London, Oxford University Press.
- 1960b The anthropological study of urban communities. Johannesburg, African Studies, 19, 3:169–72.
- 1957 The theory of social structure. London, Cohen and West.
- 1947 Migrant labour and tribal life. Oxford University Press.
- 1957 Townsmen in the making.Kampala, East African Studies, No. 9. East African Institute of Social Research. and
- 1958 Tribal cohesion in a money economy, Manchester, Manchester University Press.
- 1941 Economics of detribalisation in Northern Rhodesia: Part I. Rhodes-Livingstone Paper 5. Livingstone, The Rhodes-Livingstone Institute.
- 1942 Economics of detribalisation in Northern Rhodesia: Part II. Rhodes-Livingstone Paper 6.
- 1960 Labour migration as a positive factor in the continuity of Tonga tribal society. In Social change in modern Africa, A.Southall, ed. Oxford University Press.