I would like to thank Professor and Mrs. John W. M. Whiting for their help with the research here presented.
A Cross-Cultural Study of Female Initiation Rites
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1963 American Anthropological Association
Volume 65, Issue 4, pages 837–853, August 1963
How to Cite
BROWN, J. K. (1963), A Cross-Cultural Study of Female Initiation Rites. American Anthropologist, 65: 837–853. doi: 10.1525/aa.1963.65.4.02a00040
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1946 Patterns of culture. New York, The New American Library.
- 1954 Symbolic wounds. Glencoe, Ill., The Free Press.
- 1950 Notes on excision. In Psychoanalysis and the Social Sciences, Vol. 2, GézaRóheim, ed. New York, The International Universities Press, Inc.
- 1931 Die Beschneidung bei Mann und Weib. Neubrandenburg, Verlag Gustav Feller.
- 1961 The absent father and cross-sex identity. Merill-Palmer Quarterly of Behavior and Development 7(2): 85–95. and
- 1927 The mystic rose. Vols. 1 and 2. New York: Boni and Liveright, Publishers. and
- A cross-cultural study of residence from infancy through marriage. Mimeographed. Cambridge, Mass., Harvard University, Laboratory of Human Development. and n.d.
- 1932 Girls' adolescence observances in North America. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. University of California, Berkeley.
- 1951 Patterns of sexual behavior. New York, Harper Brothers. and
- 1913 The golden bough. Vols. 1, 3, 10, and 12. London, Macmillan and Co., Ltd.
- 1918 Contributions to the psychology of love. The taboo of virginity. Collected papers 4:217–35. London, Hogarth Press and the Institute of Psycho-Analysis.
- 1958 Sexual division of labor and cross-cultural research. Social Forces 37(1):77–79.
- Laboratory or Human Development n.d. Code for maximum dispersion of economy, descent and political integration. Mimeographed. Cambridge, Mass., Harvard University.
- 1957 World ethnographic sample. American Anthropologist 59:664–87.
- 1960 Children of their fathers. New Haven, Yale University Press.
- 1956 Chisungu: a girl's initiation ceremony among the Bemba of Northern Rhodesia. New York, Grove Press.
- 1959 Child rearing and oedipal fears: a cross-cultural study. Published doctoral dissertation. Graduate School of Education, Harvard University.
- 1909 Les rites de passage. Paris, Libraire Critique Emil Nourry.
- 1913, The adolescent girl among primitive peoples. Journal of Religious Psychology 1914 6(4):375–421; 7(1):32–40, 75–120.
- Whiting, Beatrice B., ed. 1960 Socialization in six societies. Mimeographed. Cambridge, Mass., Harvard University, Laboratory of Human Development.
- 1960 Resource mediation and learning by identification. In Personality Development in Children, IraIscoe and Harold W.Stevenson, eds. Austin, Texas, University of Texas Press.
- 1961 Socialization process and personality. In Psychological Anthropology: Approaches to Culture and Personality, Francis L. K.Hsu, ed. Homewood, Ill., The Dorsey Press.
- 1928 Die Pubertätsriten der Mädchen mit deren Spuren in Märchen. Imago 14:199–274.