Research supported by grants from the National Institute of Mental Health and the Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research.
A System for the Notation of Proxemic Behavior1
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1963 American Anthropological Association
Volume 65, Issue 5, pages 1003–1026, October 1963
How to Cite
HALL, E. T. (1963), A System for the Notation of Proxemic Behavior. American Anthropologist, 65: 1003–1026. doi: 10.1525/aa.1963.65.5.02a00020
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1961 Behavior units for the comparative study of cultures. In Studying personality cross-culturally, ed. by B.Kaplan. New York, Row Peterson. and
- 1954 Midwest and its children; the psychological ecology of an American town. Evanston, Row Peterson. and
- 1963. Thermography of the human body. Science 140:3569:870–877, May 24.
- 1946 The chrysanthemum and the sword. Boston, Houghton Mifflin.
- 1952 Introduction to kinesics. Louisville, University of Louisville Press.
- 1911 Introduction, Handbook of American Indian languages. B.A.E. Bull. 40. Washington, D. C., Smithsonian Institution.
- 1958 The way beyond art. New York, New York University Press.
- 1960 Family and kinship among the eastern Subanun. In Social structure in Southeast Asia, G. P.Murdock, ed. New York, Viking Fund Publications in Anthropology No. 29.
- 1962 Cultural ecology and ethnography. American Anthropologist 64:53–59.
- 1941 Escape from freedom. New York, Rinehart.
- 1950 The perception of the visual world. Cambridge, Harvard University Press.
- 1957 Alienation from interaction. Human Relations 10:1:47–60.
- 1959 The presentation of self in everyday life. New York, Doubleday.
- 1941 The sensation of space. Urbanism and spatial order. Architectural Review, November: 129–131.
- 1942 The elements of enclosed space. Architectural Review, January: 5–9.
- 1956 Residence rules. Southwestern Journal of Anthropology 12:22–37.
- 1957 Seventh annual round table meeting on linguistics and language study, Garvin, ed. Washington, Institute of Languages and Linguistics, Georgetown University. Monograph series on languages and linguistics no. 9:167–177.
- 1951 The painter's eye. New York, Rinehart.
- 1955 The anthropology of manners. Scientific American 192:85–89.
- 1959 The silent language. New York, Doubleday.
- 1963 Proxemics—the study of man's spatial relations. In Man's image in medicine and anthropology. International Universities Press. New York.
- 1964 Spatial features of man's biotope. Mss to appear in Proceedings of the Association for Research in Nervous and Mental Diseases. New York.
- 1953 The analysis of culture. Washington, American Council of Learned Societies. and
- 1962 Furniture arrangement and judicial roles. ETC 19:181–188.
- 1955 Studies of the psychology and behaviour of captive animals in zoos and circuses. London, Butterworths Scientific Publications.
- 1961 The evolution of territorial behavior. In Social life of early man, ed. by S. L.Washburn. New York, Viking Fund Publications in Anthropology No. 31.
- 1955 World distribution of certain postural habits. American Anthropologist 57:231–234.
- 1958 A course in modern linguistics. New York, Macmillan.
- 1962 The ethnography of speaking. In Anthropology and human behavior, ed. by Gladwin and Sturtevant. Washington, D. C., The anthropological Society of Washington.
- 1962 The five clocks. International Journal of American Linguistics 28:pt. 5.
- Kilpatrick, F., ed. 1961 Explorations in transactional psychology. New York, New York University Press.
- 1957 Light, color, and vision. London, Chapman and Hall Ltd.
- 1960 The image of the city. Cambridge, Technology Press and Harvard University Press.
- 1957 Linguistic transcription and specification of psychiatric interview materials. Psychiatry 20:79–86.
- 1957 Function as the basis of psychiatric ward design. Mental Hospitals:23–29.
- 1962 Evolution of signalling behavior. Behavioral Science 7:430–442.
- 1940 Conceptions of modern psychiatry. Washington, Wiliam Alanson White Founda and tion.
- 1961 A sequence-experience notation for architectural and urban space. Town planning review, April:33–52.
- 1961 On being just complicated enough. Proceedings, National Academy of Sciences 47:458–464.
- 1953 Languages in contact. New York: The Linguistic Circle of New York, Publication #1.