Aleut Reference Group Alienation, Mobility, and Acculturation
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1964 American Anthropological Association
Volume 66, Issue 2, pages 231–250, April 1964
How to Cite
BERREMAN, G. D. (1964), Aleut Reference Group Alienation, Mobility, and Acculturation. American Anthropologist, 66: 231–250. doi: 10.1525/aa.1964.66.2.02a00010
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1953 Innovation: the basis of cultural change. New York, McGraw-Hill Book Company.
- 1956 Reference group theory and the analysis of segmentary systems. Fifty-fifth annual meeting of the American Anthropological Association, Santa Monica, California.
- 1960 Notes on the concept of commitment. American Journal of Sociology 66:32–40.
- 1955 Inquiry into community integration in an Aleutian village. American Anthropologist 57:49–59.
- 1956a Drinking patterns of the Aleuts. Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol 17:503–514.
- 1956b Social integration. Ithaca, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Cornell University (mimeographed).
- 1960 Cultural variability and drift in the Himalayan hills. American Anthropologist 62:774–194.
- 1962 Behind many masks: ethnography and impression management in a Himalayan village. Monograph number 4. Ithaca, The Society for Applied Anthropology.
- 1963 Hindus of the Himalayas. Berkeley, University of California Press.
- 1958 Individual and mass behavior in extreme situations. In Readings in social psychology, E. E.Maccoby, T. M.Newcomb and E. L.Hartley, eds. New York, Henry Holt and Co.
- 1956 Social mobility and interpersonal relations. American Sociological Review 21:290–295.
- 1956 Primary group experience and the processes of acculturation. American Anthropologist 58:605–623.
- 1960 Culture change and integration: an Eskimo example. American Anthropologist 62:1028–1044.
- 1956 The functions of social conflict:Glencoe, The Free Press.
- 1951 Role-playing vs. role-taking. American Sociological Review 16:180–187.
- 1954 Studies in reference group behavior: I. Reference norms and the social structure. Human Relations 7:191–216.
- 1937 The reaction of primitive races to the White man's culture. The Hibbert Journal 35:537–545.
- 1960 Nationalism in Africa: an attempt at prediction. Kroeber Anthropological Society Papers 23:1–6.
- 1961 Wasco-Wishram. In Perspectives in American Indian culture change, Edward H.Spicer, ed. Chicago, The University of Chicago Press.
- 1959 The presentation of self in everyday life. New York, Doubleday.
- 1961 Encounters: two studies in the sociology of interaction. Indianapolis, The Bobbs-Merrill Company.
- 1950 The human group. New York, Harcourt, Brace and Company.
- 1957 Reference group concepts in the study of a changing Eskimo culture. In Cultural stability and cultural change. Proceedings of the 1957 annual spring meeting of the American Ethnological Society, Verne F.Ray, ed. Seattle, American Ethnological Society.
- 1958 The patterning of recent cultural change in a Siberian Eskimo village. The Journal of Social Issues 14:25–35.
- 1960 An Eskimo village in the modern world. Ithaca, Cornell University Press.
- 1942 The psychology of status. Archives of Psychology, No. 269.
- 1940 Acculturation in seven American Indian tribes. New York, D. Appleton-Century Company.
- 1956 New lives for old. New York, William Morrow and Company.
- 1957 Social theory and social structure. Glencoe, The Free Press.
- and 1950 Contributions to the theory of reference group behavior. In Continuities in social research, Robert K.Merton and P. F.Lazarsfeld, eds. Glencoe, The Free Press.
- 1957 The theory of social structure. Glencoe, The Free Press.
- 1950 Social psychology. New York, The Dryden Press.
- 1951 The social system. Glencoe, The Free Press.
- 1962 Human behavior and social processes: an interactionist approach. Boston, Houghton Mifflin Company.
- 1958 Clinical studies in culture conflict. New York, The Ronald Press Company.
- 1956 An outline of social psychology. New York, Harper and Brothers. and
- 1955 Reference groups as perspectives. American Journal of Sociology 60:562–569.
- 1961 Society and personality. Englewood Cliffs, N. J., Prentice-Hall.
- 1955 Conflict (translated by KurtWolff). Glencoe, The Free Press.
- 1937 The marginal man: a study in personality and culture conflict. New York, Charles Scribner's Sons.
- 1949 The American soldier: adjustment during army life. Vol. I. Princeton, Princeton University Press. , , , , and
- 1937 Walden and other writings of Henry David Thoreau. (Walden XVIII, Conclusion.) New York, The Modern Library.
- 1956 Role-taking, role standpoint, and reference-group behavior. American Journal of Sociology 61:316–328.
- 1956 Revitalization movements. American Anthropologist 58:264–281.