The Establishment of Identity in a Social Nexus: The Special Case of Initiation Ceremonies and Their Relation to Value and Legal Systems
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1964 American Anthropological Association
Volume 66, Issue 3, pages 529–552, June 1964
How to Cite
COHEN, Y. A. (1964), The Establishment of Identity in a Social Nexus: The Special Case of Initiation Ceremonies and Their Relation to Value and Legal Systems. American Anthropologist, 66: 529–552. doi: 10.1525/aa.1964.66.3.02a00020
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1962 Types of corporate unilineal descent groups. American Anthropologist 64:313–327. and
- 1963 Social anthropology. New York, Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- 1963 A cross-cultural study of female initiation rites. American Anthropologist 65:837–853.
- 1961 The absent father and cross-sex identity. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly of Behavior and Development 7:85–95. and
- 1961 Social structure and personality: a casebook. New York, Holt, Rinehart, and Winston.
- 1964 The transition from childhood to adolescence: cross-cultural studies of initiation ceremonies, legal systems, and incest taboos. Chicago, Aldine Publishing Company.
- Macro-ethnology: large scale comparative studies. In James A.Clifton, Introduction to cultural anthropology: essays in the scope and methods of the science of man. (Forthcoming) Boston, Houghton Mifflin Company. ms.
- 1963 Unconscious inference and cultural origins. American Anthropologist 65:32–35.
- 1962 Youth: fidelity and diversity—Daedalus: Journal of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (Winter) 5–27.
- 1963 Maturation of performance with space-displaced vision. Science 141:727–728. and
- 1955 Custom and conflict in Africa. New York, Free Press.
- 1954 The law of primitive man; a study in comparative legal dynamics. Cambridge, Harvard University Press.
- 1955 Social change and social character: the role of parental mediation. Journal of Social Issues 11 no. 2:12–23.
- 1960 Industrial man: the relation of status to experience, perception and value. American Journal of Sociology 66:1–31.
- 1944 The anabolic effects of the androgens and somatic growth in man. Annals of Internal Medicine 20:632–654. , , and
- 1938 The induction of premature puberty with androgenic substance. Endocrinology 23:661–665.
- 1950 The nutritional and endocrine control of growth in children. In Progress in clinical endocrinology, SamuelSoskin, ed. New York, Grune and Stratton.
- 1963 Nyansongo: a Gusii community in Kenya. In Six cultures: studies of child rearing, B. B.Whiting ed. New York, John Wiley and Sons. and
- 1959 Character structure and character disorders. In The American handbook of psychiatry, S.Arieti ed., Vol. 1:353–377. New York, Basic Books.
- 1963 Pregnancy cravings (dola-duka) in relation to social structure and personality in a Sinhalese village. American Anthropologist 65:323–342.
- 1940 Preface. In African political systems, M.Fortes and E. E.Evans-Pritchard eds. London, Oxford University Press.
- 1952 Primitive Law. In Structure and function: essays and addresses of A. R. Radcliffe-Brown. New York, The Free Press.
- 1889 On a method of investigating the development of institutions. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 18: 245–269.
- 1960 The rites of passage (V by Monika Vizedom and G. L. Caffee). Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- WFMH1957 Identity. Introductory study no. 1. London, World Federation of Mental Health.
- 1962 Comment (to Frank W. Young 1962). American Journal of Sociology 67:391–394.
- 1958 The function of male initiation ceremonies at puberty. In Readings in social psychology, E.Maccoby, T. M.Newcomb, and E. L.Hartley, (eds.). New York, Holt, Rinehart and Winston. , and
- 1962 The function of male initiation ceremonies: a cross-cultural test of an alternative hypothesis. American Journal of Sociology 67:379–391.