An abbreviated version of this paper was read at the 1962 meetings of the Central States Anthropological Association. I am grateful to James W. Fernandez, Igor Kopytoff, Nancy Leis, and Carole and Jack Siegman for criticizing various drafts of this paper.
Palm Oil, Illicit Gin, and the Moral Order of the Ijaw1
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1964 American Anthropological Association
Volume 66, Issue 4, pages 828–838, August 1964
How to Cite
LEIS, P. E. (1964), Palm Oil, Illicit Gin, and the Moral Order of the Ijaw. American Anthropologist, 66: 828–838. doi: 10.1525/aa.1964.66.4.02a00060
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1950 African dependencies: A challenge to Western democracy. New York, The William-Frederick Press.
- 1956 Trade and politics in the Niger Delta; 1830–1885. Oxford, Clarendon Press.
- 1962 Traditional cultures. New York, Harper and Brothers.
- 1938 Capital investment in Africa. London, Oxford University Press.
- 1962 Notes on technology and the moral order. Indianapolis, The Bobbs-Merrill Company, Inc. and
- 1946 Problem, method and theory in Afroamerican studies. Phylon 7, 4:337–354.
- 1962 The limitation of adaptation and adjustment as concepts for understanding cultural behavior. In Culture and behavior, R.Kluckhohn, (ed.). New York, The Free Press of Glencoe.
- Linton, Ralph, (ed.) 1940 Acculturation in seven North American Indian tribes. New York, D. Appleton-Century Company.
- 1941 The folk culture of Yucatan. Chicago, The University of Chicago Press.
- 1953 The primitive world and its transformations. Ithaca, Cornell University Press.
- Spicer, Edward H., (ed.) 1961 Perspectives in American Indian culture change. Chicago, The University of Chicago Press.
- 1955 Modern homesteaders. Cambridge, The Belknop Press of Harvard University Press.
- 1951 Some psychological determinants of culture change in an Iroquoian community. Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin 149.
- 1959 The evolution of culture. New York, McGraw-Hill Book Co.