This article emerges from fieldwork carried out among the Tuareg during 1959-60. The research was supported by a Foreign Area Training Fellowship, granted by the Ford Foundation, and by the Social Science Research Council, which awarded me a Faculty Research Fellowship for the period 1957-60. I wish to acknowledge my gratitude to these organizations and to the Research Committee and the Institute of Social Sciences of the University of California, Berkeley, for their generous suport. Several colleagues have been of assistance to me in the formulation of this paper, but I am particularly indebted to Dr. Erving Goffman of for his stimulation and criticism.
Social Distance and the Veil1
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1964 American Anthropological Association
Volume 66, Issue 6, pages 1257–1274, December 1964
How to Cite
MURPHY, R. F. (1964), Social Distance and the Veil. American Anthropologist, 66: 1257–1274. doi: 10.1525/aa.1964.66.6.02a00020
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1938 Social distance and its practical implications. Journal of Sociology and Social Research 22:462–476.
- 1960 Tribes of the Sahara. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- 1864 Les Touaregs du nord. Paris, Challamel.
- 1956 The nature of deference and demeanor. American Anthropologist 58:473–502.
- 1955 Les Touaregs du Hoggar. Paris, Payot.
- 1934 Mind, self and society. Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1957 Social theory and social structure. Glencoe, Ill., The Free Press.
- 1962 Deviance and social control II: Coleta. Kroeber Anthropological Society Papers, no. 27:49–54.
- 1961 Essai sur la religion et la magie touarègues. Folk 3:113–62.
- 1924 Introduction to the science of sociology. Chicago, University of Chicago Press. and
- 1952 Structure and function in primitive society. Glencoe, Ill., The Free Press.
- 1961 Society and personality. Englewood Cliffs, NJ., Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- 1950 The sociology of Georg Simmel (K. H.Wolff, trans.), Glencoe, Ill., The Free Press.