All the Yoruba proverbs cited in this paper were contributed by Arewa, who learned them about 1945 in his native village of Oke-agbe in Western Nigeria. He also provided the translations and explanations of the proverbs. The authors are indebted to Dell Hymes for invaluable comments and suggestions.
Proverbs and the Ethnography of Speaking Folklore1
Version of Record online: 4 FEB 2011
1964 American Anthropological Association
Volume 66, Issue 6_PART2, pages 70–85, December 1964
How to Cite
AREWA, E. O. and DUNDES, A. (1964), Proverbs and the Ethnography of Speaking Folklore. American Anthropologist, 66: 70–85. doi: 10.1525/aa.1964.66.suppl_3.02a00040
- Issue online: 4 FEB 2011
- Version of Record online: 4 FEB 2011
- 1962 Playing the dozens. Journal of American Folklore 75: 209–220.
- 1964 Deep down in the jungle: Negro narrative folklore from the streets of Philadelphia. Hatboro, Folklore Associates.
- 1942 The principle of seniority in the social structure of the Yoruba. American Anthropologist 44: 37–46.
- 1953 Drums of the Yoruba of Nigeria. Ethnic Folkways Library, Album P441. New York, Folkways Records and Service Corp.
- 1926 Proverbs in native life, with special reference to those of the Maori. Folk-Lore 37: 134–153; 245–270.
- 1930 Kru proverbs. Journal of American Folklore 43: 225–293.
- 1950 The hypothetical situation: a technique of field research. Southwestern Journal of Anthropology 6: 32–40.
- 1936 Jabo proverbs from Liberia. London, Oxford University Press.
- 1945 Drum-signalling in a West African tribe. Word 1: 217–238.
- 1962 The ethnography of speaking. In Anthropology and human behavior, ThomasGladwin and W. C.Sturtevant, eds. Washington, Anthropological Society of Washington, pp. 13–53.
- 1929 Die folklore als besondere form des schaffens. In Donum natalicium Schrijnen: Verzameling van opstellen door oud-leerlingen en bevriende vakgenooten opgedragen ann Mgr. Prof. Dr. Jos. Schrijnen. Nÿmegen-Utrecht, Dekker, pp. 900–913. and
- 1954 Yoruba drums. Nigeria 45: 4–13.
- 1963 Structural anthropology. New York, Basic Books.
- 1935 Coral gardens and their magic. II. New York, American Book Company.
- 1959 The role of proverbs in a Nigerian judicial system. Southwestern Journal of Anthropology 15: 64–73.
- 1952 Situation and sequence in the study of folklore. Journal of American Folklore 65: 29–48.
- 1959 Folksong viewed as code and message. Anthropos 54: 141–153.
- 1960 The role of folklore in the life of the Yoruba of southwestern Nigeria. In Report on the ninth annual round table meeting on linguistics and language studies: anthropology and African studies, Willaim M.Austin, ed. Georgetown University Monograph Series on Languages and Linguistics no. 11, Washington, D. C., Georgetown University Press, pp. 45–56.