M. L. Burstein, Robert Clower, Ronald Cohen, George Delehanty, Mitchell Harwitz, Sidney Mintz, and A. A. Walters made critical comments on an earlier draft. I am grateful to these anthropologists and economists, and to Heyward Ehrlich who suggested changes in style and presentation. I must acknowledge separately the kindness of Paul Bohannan and Karl Polanyi, both of whom read several drafts and insisted on improvement. Much of the paper is an elaboration of ideas contained in Polanyi's lectures and writings.
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1965 American Anthropological Association
Volume 67, Issue 1, pages 44–65, February 1965
How to Cite
DALTON, G. (1965), Primitive Money. American Anthropologist, 67: 44–65. doi: 10.1525/aa.1965.67.1.02a00040
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1957 Anthropology as history. In Trade and market in the early empires. K.Polanyi, C. M.Arensberg, H. W.Pearson, eds. Glencoe, The Free Press.
- 1924 Rossel Island money: a unique monetary system. Economic Journal 34:423–429.
- 1928 Rossel Island. Cambridge University Press.
- 1959 The impact of money on an African subsistence economy. The Journal of Economic History 19:491–503.
- 1962 Introduction. In Markets in Africa. Evanston, Northwestern University Press. and
- 1963 Money. Cambridge, Massachusetts, Shenkman.
- 1951 Fighting with property. New York, J. J. Augustin.
- 1962 Traditional production in primitive African economies. The Quarterly Journal of Economics 76:360–378.
- 1964 The development of subsistence and peasant economies in Africa. International Social Science Journal 16:378–389.
- 1939 Rank, wealth, and kinship in Northwest coast society. American Anthropologist 41:55–65.
- 1936 The wealth concept as an integrative factor in Tolowa-Tututni culture. In Essays in anthropology presented to A. L.Kroeber, R. H.Lowie, ed. Berkeley, University of California Press.
- 1948 Primitive money. London, Eyre and Spottiswoode.
- 1929 Currency, primitive. In Encyclopaedia Britannica, 14th ed.
- 1946 Malay fishermen: their peasant economy. London, Kegan Paul Trench, Trubner and Co.
- 1962 Foreword. In Politics of the kula ring, by J. P. SinghUberoi. Manchester, University Press. and
- 1962 The evolution of Arusha trade. In Markets in Africa, P. J.Bohannan and G.Dalton, eds. Evanston, Northwestern University Press.
- 1952 Economic anthropology, revised ed. New York, Knopf.
- 1960 Economic man in Africa. Food Research Institute Studies 1:107–134.
- 1956 Religion. In Man, culture, and society. Harry L.Shapiro, ed. New York, Oxford University Press. ,
- 1921 The primitive economics of the Trobriand islanders. Economic Journal 31:1–15.
- 1922 Argonauts of the western Pacific. London, Routledge.
- 1951 Two studies in applied anthropology in Kenya. London, HMSO.
- 1962 African markets and trade in the copperbelt. In Markets in Africa, P. J.Bohannan and G.Dalton, eds. Evanston, Northwestern University Press.
- 1944 The great transformation. New York, Rinehart.
- 1957a Notes on the place occupied by economies in societies. In Selected memoranda on economic aspects of institutional growth (mimeo.), Columbia University.
- 1957b The economy as instituted process. In Trade and market in the early empires, K.Polanyi, C. M.Arensberg, H. W.Pearson, eds. Glencoe, The Free Press.
- 1949 A survey of primitive money. London, Methuen and Co.
- 1959 The role of money in the Zande economy. American Anthropologist 61:39–43.
- 1963 Economics, a general introduction. Irwin, Homewood, Illinois.
- Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland 1949 Notes and queries on anthropology, 6th ed. London, Routledge and Kegal Paul.
- 1961 Economics, an introductory analysis, 5th ed. New York, McGraw-Hill.
- 1928 Economic changes in South African native life. Africa 1:170–188,.
- 1962 Trade and markets among the Kuba. In Markets in Africa, P. J.Bohannan and G.Dalton, eds. Evanston, Northwestern University Press.