Research on this study was initiated during the summer of 1964 while the authors were members of the Summer Institute of Cross-Cultural Research, which was held by the Department of Anthropology at the University of Pittsburgh; the Institute was sponsored by a National Science Foundation grant. The authors are indebted to fellow members of the Institute and to its Director, Melvin Ember, for stimulating discussions concerning this study, and to Richard B. Darlington of Cornell University for advice on statistical procedures.
An Eye for an Eye, A Tooth for a Tooth: A Cross-Cultural Study of Feuding1
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1965 American Anthropological Association
Volume 67, Issue 6, pages 1470–1482, December 1965
How to Cite
OTTERBEIN, K. F. and OTTERBEIN, C. S. (1965), An Eye for an Eye, A Tooth for a Tooth: A Cross-Cultural Study of Feuding. American Anthropologist, 67: 1470–1482. doi: 10.1525/aa.1965.67.6.02a00070
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
If your institution is a registered Wiley Online Library customer, you can log in under your institution's name to see our content. This access is provided by Shibboleth or Athens.
Type your institution's name in the box below. If your institution is a Wiley customer, it will appear in the list of suggested institutions.
Please note that there are currently a number of duplicate entries in the list of institutions. We are actively working on fixing this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!