The authors are grateful to Fred Eggan, George P. Murdock, David M. Schneider, Marc J. Swartz, and Arthur Tuden for helpful comments on the conceptualization of this research; to Lawrence A. Messé for skillful processing of the analyses; to David L. Wallace for consultation on statistical analysis; and to Herbert Barry, Allan D. Coult, Harold E. Driver, Raoul Naroll, and Karl F. Schuessler for reactions to the manuscript. This research was partially supported by an award from the Social Science Research Committee of the University of Chicago.
Cultural Dimensions: A Factor Analysis of the World Ethnographic Sample1
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1966 American Anthropological Association
Volume 68, Issue 3, pages 708–731, June 1966
How to Cite
SAWYER, J. and LEVINE, R. A. (1966), Cultural Dimensions: A Factor Analysis of the World Ethnographic Sample. American Anthropologist, 68: 708–731. doi: 10.1525/aa.1966.68.3.02a00060
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1961 Matrilineal descent in cross-cultural perspective. In Matrilineal kinship. D. M.Schneider and KathleenGough, eds. Berkeley and Los Angeles, University of California Press.
- 1965 A cross-cultural study of drinking: II. Relations to other features of culture. Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 26, Supplement No. 3:29–48. , , and
- 1965 A cross-cultural study of drinking: I. Descriptive measurements of drinking customs. Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 26, Supplement No. 3:1–28. , , and
- 1958 A comparison of three point coefficients in factor analysis of MMPI items. Educational and Psychological Measurement 18:739–758. , and
- 1965 Cross tabulations of Murdock's World Ethnographic Sample. Columbia, University of Missouri Press. , and
- 1957 Factor analysis of ethnographic data. American Anthropologist 59:655–663. , and
- 1963 The relationship between economic and political development in nonindustralized societies. Ethnology 2:228–248.
- 1957 Societal complexity: an empirical test of a typology of societies. American Journal of Sociology 62:461–466. , and
- 1889 Comment on a paper by Edward B. Tylor: On a method of investigating the development of institutions; applied to laws of marriage and descent, Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 18:245–272.
- 1962 Notes on technology and the moral order. Indianapolis, Bobbs-Merrill. , and
- 1962 Dimensions of a complex concept: a method exemplified. Human Organization 21:214–218.
- 1958 The variraax criterion for analytic rotation in factor analysis. Psychometrika 23:187–200.
- 1960 The application of electronic computers to factor analysis. Educational and Psychological Measurement 20:141–151.
- 1935 The structure of Califorina Indian culture. University of California Publications in American Archaeology and Ethnology 37:1–70.
- 1949 Social structure. New York, Macmillan.
- 1957 World Ethnographic Sample. American Anthropologist 59:664–687.
- 1961 World Ethnographic Sample. In Readings in cross-cultural methodology. F. W.Moore, ed. New Haven, Human Relations Area Files Press.
- 1956 A preliminary index of social development. American Anthropologist 58:687–715.
- 1961 Two solutions to Galton's problem. Philosophy of Science 28:15–39.
- 1964 A fifth solution to Galton's problem. American Anthropologist 66:863–867.
- 1963 Two further solutions to Galton's problem. American Anthropologist 65:1053–1067. , and
- 1960 Types of family and types of economy. American Journal of Sociology 66:215–225. , and
- 1965 A typology of social structure and the patterning of social institutions: a cross-cultural study. American Anthropologist 67:1097–1119.
- 1955 Theory of cultural change. Urbana, University of Illinois Press.
- 1966 A cross-cultural summary. New York, Taplinger.
- 1947 Multiple factor analysis. Chicago, University of Chicago Press.