A reply by Spiro and further comment by Chaney appear under “Brief Communications,” pp. 1471–1476.
Typology and Patterning: Spiro's Sample Re-examined
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1966 American Anthropological Association
Volume 68, Issue 6, pages 1456–1470, December 1966
How to Cite
Chaney, R. P. (1966), Typology and Patterning: Spiro's Sample Re-examined. American Anthropologist, 68: 1456–1470. doi: 10.1525/aa.1966.68.6.02a00060
Harold E. Driver generously read this paper in draft and presented valuable comments.
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1961 Introduction to statistics for comparative research. In Readings in cross-cultural methodology. Frank W.Moore, ed. New Haven , Human Relations Area Files.
- Correlational analysis of Murdock's 1957 ethnographic sample. MS. , n.d.
- 1965 Population growth and cultural change. Southwestern Journal of Anthropology 21: 302–324.
- 1959 Man's way, a preface to the understanding of society. New York , Holt, Winston and Rinehart.
- 1965 Theory and strategy in the study of cultural adaptability. American Anthropologist 67: 402–408.
- 1935 The structure of California Indian culture. University of California Publications in American Archaeology and Ethnology 37: 1–70.
- 1962 Social structure. In Anthropology today. SolTax, ed. Chicago , University of Chicago Press.
- 1957 World ethnographic sample. American Anthropologist 59: 664–687.
- 1966 Cross-cultural sampling. Ethnology 5: 97–114.
- 1963 Ethnographic atlas. Ethnology 2: 249–268. , et al
- 1956 A preliminary index of social development. American Anthropologist 56: 687–715.
- 1966 Cultural dimensions: a factor analysis of the world ethnographic sample. American Anthropologist 68: 708–731. , and
- 1965 A typology of social structure and the patterning of social institutions: a cross-cultural study. American Anthropologist 67: 1097–1119.
- 1955 Theory of culture change. Urbana , University of Illinois Press.
- 1940 The effect of depopulation upon social organization as illustrated by the Taperapé Indians. Transactions of the New York Academy of Sciences, Series 2, 3: 12–16.
- 1960 Review: Evolution and anthropology, B. J.Meggers, ed American Anthropologist 62: 884–885.
- 1964 The study of evolution. In Horizons of anthropology. SolTax, ed. Chicago , Aldine Publishing Company.