We should like to express our thanks to Charles Starnes and Gerald Slatin, who assisted creatively in the statistical analysis upon which this article is based.
Correlational Analysis of Murdocks 1957 Ethnographic Sample1
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1967 American Anthropological Association
Volume 69, Issue 3-4, pages 332–352, June-August 1967
How to Cite
DRIVER, H. E. and SCHUESSLER, K. F. (1967), Correlational Analysis of Murdocks 1957 Ethnographic Sample. American Anthropologist, 69: 332–352. doi: 10.1525/aa.1967.69.3-4.02a00050
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1961 Matrilineal descent in cross-cultural perspective. In Matrilineal kinship. David M.Schneider and KathleenGough, eds. Berkeley and Los Angeles, University of California Press, Pp.655–727.
- 1964 Dimensions of conflict in the general assembly. American Political Science Review 58:642–657.
- 1965 A cross-cultural study of drinking: II. Relations to other features of culture. Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol 26, Supplement No. 3:29–48. , , and
- 1908 The ethnogeography of the Pomo and neighboring Indians. University of California Publications in American Archaeology and Ethnology 6:1–332.
- 1894 Indianische Sagen von der Nord-Pacifischen Küste Amerikas. Berlin, A. Asher and Co.
- 1954 Use of cluster analysis with anthropological data. American Anthropologist 56:180–199.
- 1965 Cross tabulations of Murdock's world ethnographic sample. Columbia, University of Missouri Press. , and
- 1946 Mathematical methods of statistics. Princeton, Princeton University Press.
- 1911 Objective Kriterien in der Ethnologie. Korrespondenz-Blatt der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Anthropologie, Ethnologie und Urgeschichte 42:1–5.
- 1956 An integration of functional, evolutionary, and historical theory by means of correlations. Indiana University Publications in Anthropology and Linguistics, Memoir 12.
- 1965 Survey of numerical classification in anthropology. In The use of computers in anthropology. DellHymes, ed. The Hague, Mouton. Pp.301–344.
- 1966 Geographical-historical versus psycho-functional explanations of kin avoidances. Current Anthropology 7:131–182.
- MS Correlations of economy and social organization in South America.
- 1966 Factors and clusters of kin avoidances and related variables. Current Anthropology 7:169–176. , and
- 1957 Factor analysis of ethnographic data. American Anthropologist 59:655–663. , and
- 1965 The ecology of early food production in Mesopotamia. Science 147, 3663:1247–1256.
- 1954 Measures of association for cross classifications. Journal of the American Statistical Association 49:732–764. , and
- 1959 Measures of association for cross classifications. II: Further discussion and references. Journal of the American Statistical Association 54:123–163. , and
- 1963 Measures of association for cross classifications. III: Approximate sampling theory. Journal of the American Statistical Association 58:310–364. , and
- 1962 Technology and the moral order. Indianapolis, Bobbs-Merrill. , and
- 1963 Statistics for psychologists. New York, Holt, Rinehart, and Winston.
- 1962 Dimensions of a complex concept: method exemplified. Human Organization 21:214–218.
- 1951 Factors of human physique. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 9:159–191.
- Hymes, Dell, ed. 1965 The use of computers in anthropology. The Hague, Mouton.
- 1965 Automatic classification in anthropology. In The use of computers in anthropology. DellHymes, ed. The Hague, Pp.357–378.
- Jennings, Jesse D., and EdwardNorbeck, eds. 1964 Prehistoric man in the New World. Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1959 Computer program for varimax rotation in factor analysis. Educational and Psychological Measurement 19:413–420.
- 1960 The application of electronic computers to factor analysis. Educational and Psychological Measurement 20:141–151.
- 1957 A course in multivariate analysis. London, Charles Griffin and Co.
- 1967 Why exceptions? the logic of cross cultural analysis. Current Anthropology 8:3–34.
- 1939 Cultural and natural areas of native North America. University of California Publications in American Archaeology and Ethnology 38.
- 1964 Domestication of corn. Science 143:538–545. , , and
- 1965 Statistical processing. In The use of computers in anthropology. DellHymes, ed. The Hague, Mouton. Pp.189–204.
- 1940 The cross-cultural survey. American Sociological Review 5:361–370. Reprinted in Readings in cross-cultural methodology.
- Frank W.Moore, ed. New Haven, Human Relations Area Files, 1961. Pp.45–54.
- 1949 Social structure. New York, Macmillan.
- 1951 Outline of South American cultures. New Haven, Human Relations Area Files.
- 1955 North American social organization. Davidson Journal of Anthropology 1, 11:1–11.
- 1957 World ethnographic sample. American Anthropologist 59:664–687.
- 1964 On ethnic unit classification. Current Anthropology 5:283–312.
- 1965 Computer methods for classification and grouping. In The use of computers in anthropology. DellHymes, ed. The Hague: Mouton. Pp.345–356.
- 1964 Semantic differential technique in the comparative study of cultures. American Anthropologist 66, no. 3, pt. 2:171–200.
- 1964 Cognitive aspects of English kin terms. American Anthropologist 66, no. 3, pt. 2:146–170. , and
- 1963 Dimensions of conflict behavior within and between nations. In A. R.Rapoport and L.vonBertalanffy, (eds.), General Systems: Yearbook for the Society for General Systems Research, VIII. Ann Arbor: Mental Health Research Institute.
- 1966 Cultural dimensions: a factor analysis of the world ethnographic sample, American Anthropologist 68:708–731. , and
- 1962 The 1960 term of the Supreme Court: a psychological analysis. American Political Science Review 56:90–107.
- Bibliography of factor analyses in sociology. Ms
- 1956 A factor analysis of 16 primitive societies. American Sociological Review 21:493–499. , and
- 1927 The abilities of man, their nature and measurement. New York, Macmillan.
- 1967 A cross-cultural summary. New York, Taplinger.
- 1938 Primary mental abilities. Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1947 Multiple factor analysis. Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1958 A typological analysis of axes and choppers from southeast Australia. American Antiquity 24:24–33.
- 1940 A factorial study of the components of body-build. Psychological Bulletin 37:578 (abstract).