The field research for this study was supported by a National Science Foundation Institutional Grant and a grant from the Agricultural Development Council, Inc. We would like to thank both foundations. The senior author would also like to express his gratitude to the Makerere Institute of Social Research, Makerere University College, Kampala, Uganda, for their assistance during his tenure there as a Research Associate in 1967. We would also like to thank Wilifred Kawuma, Philip L. Kilbride, Vicent Matovu, Patricia Robbins, and Richard Sandee for their assistance in the collection and analysis of these materials. John Bregenzer offered comments. A version of this paper was presented at the Central States Anthropological Society Meetings, Detroit, Michigan, 1968.
Drinking Patterns and Acculturation in Rural Buganda1
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1969 American Anthropological Association
Volume 71, Issue 2, pages 276–285, April 1969
How to Cite
Robbins, M. C. and Pollnac, R. B. (1969), Drinking Patterns and Acculturation in Rural Buganda. American Anthropologist, 71: 276–285. doi: 10.1525/aa.1969.71.2.02a00070
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- Accepted for publication June 26, 1968.
- 1964 Intermediate correlational methods. New York, John Wiley and Sons.
- 1965 Acculturation, self-identification, and personality adjustment. American Anthropologist 67: 372–393.
- 1965 A cross-cultural study of drinking. Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol, Supplement 3. , et al.
- 1961 Are African cultivators to be called “peasants?” Current Anthropology 2: 108–110.
- 1964 Introduction. In Explorations in cultural anthropology. W.Goodenough, ed New York, McGraw-Hill.
- 1966 Cooperation in change. New York, Russell Sage Foundation.
- 1967a Acculturation, access, and alcohol in a tri-ethnic community. American Anthropologist 69: 306–321.
- 1967b Psychological acculturation in a triethnic community. Southwestern Journal of Anthropology 23: 337–350.
- 1954 Psychometric methods. New York, McGraw-Hill.
- 1965 Fundamental statistics in psychology and education. New York, McGraw-Hill.
- 1943 The functions of alcohol in primitive societies: a cross-cultural study. Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol 4: 199–320.
- 1968 Society, personality and deviant behavior. New York, Holt, Rinehart and Winston. , , , and
- 1962 Values and value-orientations in the theory of action. In Towards a general theory of action. T.Parsons and E. A.Shills, eds New York, Harper and Row.
- 1964 Palm oil, illicit gin, and the moral order of the Ijaw. American Anthropologist 66: 828–838.
- 1964 The alcoholic Agrigado. American Anthropologist 66: 355–361.
- 1965 Alcohol and culture. Current Anthropology 6: 281–294.
- 1964 Beer as a locus of value among the West African Kofyar. American Anthropologist 66: 375–384.
- 1957 The measurement of meaning. Urbana, University of Illinois Press. , , and
- 1960 Alcohol use in Skolt Lapp society. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Ethnological Society, Stanford, California.
- 1963 Alcohol use and dyadic interaction. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Northeastern Anthropological Association, Ithaca, New York.
- 1967 Culture and alcohol use: a bibliography of anthropological studies. 2nd session. Addiction Research Foundation, Toronto, Canada. , and
- 1962 The social functions of beer drinking in Bantu Tiriki. In Society, culture and drinking patterns. D. J.Pittman and C. R.Snyder, eds New York, John Wiley and Sons.
- 1956 Nonparametric statistics. New York, McGraw-Hill.
- 1965 The Ganda of Uganda. In Peoples of Africa. J. L.Gibbs, ed New York, Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- 1966 Gossip, drinking and social control: consensus and communication in a Newfoundland parish. Ethnology 5: 434–441.
- 1967 Drinking culture of a Nigerian community: Onitsha. Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol 28: 529–537.