An Index of Sociocultural Development Applicable to Precivilized Societies
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1969 American Anthropological Association
Volume 71, Issue 3, pages 454–461, June 1969
How to Cite
BOWDEN, E. (1969), An Index of Sociocultural Development Applicable to Precivilized Societies. American Anthropologist, 71: 454–461. doi: 10.1525/aa.1969.71.3.02a00040
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- Accepted for publication 12 July 1968.
- 1963a The application of scale analysis to the study of cultural evolution. Transactions, New York Academy of Sciences, II, 26:196–207. , and
- 1963b Trait list to be used for the study of cultural evolution by means of scale analysis, 4th ed. (Mimeographed). , and
- 1956 An integration of functional, evolutionary and historical theory by means of correlations. Indiana University Publications in Anthropology and Linguistics, Memoir 12.
- 1957 Societal complexity: an empirical test of a typology of societies. American Journal of Sociology 62:461–466. , and
- 1962 Notes on Technology and the Moral Order. Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill. , and
- 1966 Cross-cultural sampling. Ethnology 5 (1):97–114.
- 1964 Legal evolution and societal complexity. American Journal of Sociology 70:159–169. , and
- 1945 The role of the aged in primitive society. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- 1958 The theory and methods of scaling. New York: Wiley.
- 1965 Dynamic inferences from static data. American Journal of Sociology 70:625–627.
- 1962 The sequence and direction of community growth. Rural Sociology 27:374–386. , and