We wish to express our appreciation to the Centro Nacional de Cálculo, Institute Politécnico Nacional, México, D. F., for allowing us full use of their computing facilities. And also to Herbert Barry III, University of Pittsburgh, for generously providing the punch cards. The programs were written by Ruiz Revilla, computer consultant at the Centro Nacional de Cálculo. The paper was conceived and written by Chaney as an additional project while on a field-trip (1966–1968) in San Miguel Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico, sponsored by the National Science Foundation. At that time he was a Ph.D. candidate in anthropology at Indiana University. Harold E. Driver, Joseph G. Jorgensen, LeRoy Johnson, and Miss Dale Hahn generously read the manuscript and provided valuable comments.
Sampling Methods and Interpretation of Correlation: A Comparative Analysis of Seven Cross-Cultural Samples1
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1969 American Anthropological Association
Volume 71, Issue 4, pages 597–633, August 1969
How to Cite
CHANEY, R. P. and REVILLA, R. R. (1969), Sampling Methods and Interpretation of Correlation: A Comparative Analysis of Seven Cross-Cultural Samples. American Anthropologist, 71: 597–633. doi: 10.1525/aa.1969.71.4.02a00020
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Accepted for publication 6 November 1968.
- 1963 A cross-cultural study of correlates of crime. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology 66:291–300. , , and
- 1964 Diffusion rates. In Process and pattern in culture. Robert A.Manners, ed. Chicago: Aldine pp. 351–363.
- Barry, Herbert III MS Cultural variations in development of mental illness.
- 1957 A cross-cultural survey of some sex differences in socialization. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology 55:327–332. , , and
- 1959 Relation of child training to subsistence economy. American Anthropologist 61:51–63. , , and
- 1953 Theoretical anthropology. New York: Columbia University Press.
- 1962 Determinism or indeterminism in microphysics. The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science 13:193–215.
- A comparative study of deviations from sexual mores. Ms. n.d.
- 1932 The metaphysical foundations of modern physical science. Garden City: Doubleday & Co.
- 1944 An essay on man. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- 1966a Typology and patterning: Spiro's sample re-examined. American Anthropologist 68:1456–1470.
- 1966b A reply to Spiro, or on the misplaced banderillas. American Anthropologist 68:1474–1476.
- 1967 Major aspects of the interrelationship of archaeology and ethnology. Current Anthropology 8:227–243.
- 1958 Achievement themes in folk tales related to socialization practice. In Motives in fantasy, action, and society. J. W.Atkinson, ed. Princeton: Van Nostrand. , , and
- 1964 Reason and nature. Glencoe: The Free Press.
- 1964 Introduction to mathematical sociology. Glencoe: The Free Press.
- 1965 Cross tabulations of Murdock's World Ethnographic Sample. Columbia: University of Missouri Press. , and
- 1962 Mankind evolving. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- 1956 An integration of functional, evolutionary and historical theory by means of correlations. Indiana University Publications in Anthropology and Linguistics, Memoir 12.
- 1961a Indians of North America. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1961b Introduction to statistics for comparative research. In Readings in cross-cultural methodology. Frank W.Moore, ed. New Haven: Human Relations Area Files.
- 1965 Survey of numerical classification in anthropology. In The use of computers in anthropology. DellHymes, ed. The Hague: Mouton and Company.
- 1966 Geographical-historical versus psycho-functional explanations of kin avoidances. Current Anthropology 7:131–182.
- Chaney in press Cross-cultural sampling and Galton's problem. In A handbook of method in cultural anthropology. RaoulNaroll and RonaldCohen, eds. New York: Natural History Press. , and
- 1967 Correlational analysis of Murdock's 1957 ethnographic sample. American Anthropologist 69:332–352. , and
- 1960 The Copenhagen interpretation of quantum theory. In Philosophy of science. ArthurDanto and SidneyMorgenbesser, eds. Cleveland & New York: The World Publishing Company.
- 1965 Patterns of discovery. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1942 The status of emergence. Journal of Philosophy 39:486–493.
- 1965 The use of computers in anthropology. The Hague: Mouton.
- 1966 Geographical clusterings and functional explanations of in-law avoidances: an analysis of comparative method. Current Anthropology 7:161–169.
- 1965 The superorganic: science or metaphysics American Anthropologist 67:958–976.
- 1952 New ways of presenting an old idea: the statistical method in social anthropology. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 82:129–146.
- 1967 Why exceptions? The logic of crosscultural analysis. Current Anthropology 8:3–34.
- 1917 The superorganic. American Anthropologist 19:162–213.
- 1968 Decision and the condition of man. New York: Dell Publishing Company, Inc.
- 1926 The meaning of emergence and its modes. Proceedings of the Sixth International Congress of Philosophy pp. 20–33.
- 1960 Historical and sociological interpretations of kinship terminologies. In Robert H. Lowie: Selected papers in anthropology. CoraDuBois, ed. Berkeley: University of California Press pp. 65–74.
- 1944 A scientific theory of culture. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
- 1963 Forms and problems of validation in social anthropology. Current Anthropology 4:155–169.
- 1955 Psychological statistics. New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- 1956 The concept of emergence. In The foundations of science and the concepts of psychology and psychoanalysis. H.Feigl and W.Sellars, eds. Minnesota Studies in the Philosophy of Science, 1. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press pp. 239–252. , and
- 1926 Emergent evolution. New York: Henry Holt and Company.
- 1967 Facts from figures. Baltimore: Penguin Books.
- 1940 The cross-cultural survey. American Sociological Review 5:361–370.
- 1949 Social Structure. New York: Macmillan Company.
- 1957 World Ethnographic Sample. American Anthropologist 59:664–687.
- 1961 World Ethnographic Sample. In Readings in cross-cultural methodology. Frank W.Moore, ed. New Haven: Human Relations Area Files.
- 1966 Cross-cultural sampling. Ethnology 5:97–114.
- 1967 Ethnographic atlas: a summary. Ethnology 4:109–236.
- 1962 Ethnographic atlas. Ethnology 1:533–545. , et al.
- 1963a Ethnographic atlas. Ethnology 2:109–133. , et al.
- 1963b Ethnographic atlas. Ethnology 2:249–268. , et al.
- 1951 Reflections on the causal character of modern physical theory. In Freedom and reason. Salo W.Baron, ErnestNagel, and Koppel S.Pinson, eds. Glencoe: The Free Press.
- 1961 Two solutions to Galton's problem. Philosophy of Science 28:16–39.
- 1962 Data quality control. Glencoe: The Free Press.
- 1964a A fifth solution to Galton's problem. American Anthropologist 66:863–867.
- 1964b On ethnic unit classification. Current Anthropology 5:283–312.
- 1963 Two further solutions to Galton's problem. American Anthropologist 65:1053–1067. , and
- 1959 The logic of the sciences and the humanities. Cleveland & New York: The World Publishing Co.
- 1947 Descriptive and sampling statistics. New York: Harper and Brothers.
- 1926 Emergence. Journal of Philosophy 26:241–245.
- 1926 The notion of emergence: a symposium. Aristotelian Society Supplement, 6. , , and
- 1966 Cultural dimensions: a factor analysis of the world ethnographic sample. American Anthropologist 68:708–731. , and
- 1953 Some comments on comparative method in social anthropology. American Anthropologist 55:353–366.
- 1965 An essential unpredictability in human behavior. In Scientific psychology. Benjamin B.Wolman and ErnestNagel, eds. New York: Basic Books.
- 1956 Nonparametric statistics for the behavior sciences. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company.
- 1963 Modern historical and social philosophies. New York: Dover Publications.
- 1965 A typology of social structure and the patterning of social institutions: a cross-cultural study. American Anthropologist 67:1097–1119.
- 1966 A reply to Chaney, or it all depends on whose ox is being gored. American Anthropologist 68:1471–1474.
- 1963 Theory of culture change. Urbana: University of Illinois Press.
- 1967 A cross-cultural summary. New York: Taplinger.
- 1889 On a method of investigating the development of institutions applied to the laws of marriage and descent. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 18:245–272.
- 1967 On methods of representation. In Philosophy of science. ArthurDanto and SidneyMorgenbesser, eds. Cleveland & New York: The World Publishing Co.
- 1961 The cross-cultural method. In Readings in cross-cultural methodology. Frank W.Moore, ed. New Haven: Human Relations Area Files.
- 1952 Randomness of the distribution of social organization forms: a note on Murdochs Social Structure. American Anthropologist 54:134–138.
- 1939 The society of prehistoric China. Studies in Philosophy and Social Science 8:138–186.