Research on which this paper is based was carried out on Malaita from December 1962 to November 1964 and in July and August 1966. Both trips were supported by the U.S. Public Health Service. In addition, analysis of Kwaio data has been supported by the National Science Foundation, Social Science Research Council, and University of California, Santa Cruz. I am greatly indebted to Jonathan Fifity for his partnership in this ethnographic venture.
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1970 American Anthropological Association
Volume 72, Issue 5, pages 991–1019, October 1970
How to Cite
KEESING, R. M. (1970), Kwaio Fosterage. American Anthropologist, 72: 991–1019. doi: 10.1525/aa.1970.72.5.02a00010
An earlier version of this paper was presented to a symposium on “Adoption in Eastern Oceania” at Santa Cruz, California, in March 1967. I am grateful to my colleagues at that meeting, and particularly to Vern Carroll, Daniel Crowl, Michael Lieber, and Harold Scheffler for helpful suggestions for revision. Finally, John Atkins suggested a complete overhaul of the original flow diagrams, and most of his suggestions are embodied in the final version.
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Accepted for publication 20 August 1969.
- 1958 Introduction. In the Developmental cycle in domestic groups. J.Goody, ed., Cambridge Papers in Social Anthropology 1.
- 1964 A structural description of Subanun “religious behavior”. In Explorations in cultural anthropology. W.Goodenough, ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- 1970 Cultural code rules in the analysis of lexical systems. In Explorations in mathematical anthropology. P.Kay, ed. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press. n.d. Decision-making and residence on Tag-tabon Island. Typescript.
- 1956 Residence rules. Southwestern Journal of Anthropology 12:22–37.
- 1961a Comments on cultural evolution. Daedalus 9:521–528.
- 1961b Review of Social structure in southeast Asia.G. P.. Murdock, ed. American Anthropologist 63:1341–1347.
- 1965 Rethinking “status” and “role”: toward a general model of the cultural organization of social relationships. In The relevance of models for social anthropology. M.Banton, ed., ASA Monographs 1. London: Tavistock.
- 1970 Epilogue: transactions in parenthood. In Adoption in Eastern Oceania. VernCarroll, ed. Hawaii: University of Hawaii Press. Hymes, D. in press On communicative competence. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- 1965 Kwaio marriage and society. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation. Harvard University.
- 1966 Kwaio kindreds. Southwestern Journal of Anthropology 22:346–353.
- 1967a Christians and pagans in Kwaio, Malaita. Journal of the Polynesian Society 76:82–100.
- 1967b Statistical models and decision models of social structure: a Kwaio case. Ethnology 6:1–16.
- 1968a Chiefs in a chiefless society: the ideology of modern Kwaio politics. Oceania 38:276–280.
- 1968b Nonunilineal descent and contextual definition of status: the Kwaio evidence. American Anthropologist 70:82–84.
- 1968c Step kin, in-laws, and ethnoscience. Ethnology 7:59–70.
- 1969a On quibblings over squabblings of siblings: new perspectives on kin terms and role behavior. Southwestern Journal of Anthropology 25:207–227.
- 1969b with Jonathan Fifi?i***. Word tabooing in its cultural context. Journal of the Polynesian Society 78:154–177.
- 1970a Shrines, ancestors, and cognatic descent the Kwaio and Tallensi. American Anthropologist 72:
- 1970b Descent, residence, and cultural codes. In Essays in Oceanic anthropology. Jayarwardena and L.Hiatt, eds..
- 1970c Formalization and the construction of ethnographies. In Explorations in mathematical anthropology. P.Kay, ed. Cambridge, Mass.: M.I.T. Press.
- 1970d Toward a model of role analysis. In A handbook of methods in cultural anthropology. R.Cohen and R.Naroll, eds..
- 1953 Social structure. In Anthropology today. A. L.Kroeber, ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.