An earlier version of this paper was presented at the Fourth International Conference on Asian History held at the University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 5–10 August 1968. I should like to thank B. A. V. Peacock, W. G. Solheim II, H. L. Movius, Jr., and I. S. McRae for helpful comments. Final responsibility for the content of the paper is, of course, mine alone.
Cultural Evolution in the Late Pleistocene and Holocene of Southeast Asia1
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1970 American Anthropological Association
Volume 72, Issue 5, pages 1041–1054, October 1970
How to Cite
DUNN, F. L. (1970), Cultural Evolution in the Late Pleistocene and Holocene of Southeast Asia. American Anthropologist, 72: 1041–1054. doi: 10.1525/aa.1970.72.5.02a00030
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- Accepted for publication 20 August 1969.
- 1968 Archeological research strategies: past and present. Science 160:1187–1192.
- 1966 Medical anthropology and the study of biological and cultural adaptation. American Anthropologist 68:40–51. , .
- 1964 Plants and civilization. London: Macmillan.
- 1962 A guide to the archaeology of Japan. Asian Perspectives 5:127–133.
- 1964 Environment and archaeology: an introduction to Pleistocene geography. Chicago: Aldine.
- 1964 Prehistoric and early historic culture horizons and traditions in South China. Current Anthropology 5:359, 368–375.
- 1965 Relative chronologies of China to the end of Chou. In Chronologies in Old World archaeology. R. W.Ehrich, ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1967 The Yale expedition to Taiwan and the southeast Asian horticultural evolution. Discovery 2:3–10.
- 1968 Archeology of ancient China. Science 162:519–526.
- in press Ancient farmers in the Asian tropics: major problems for archaeological and palaeoenvironmental investigations of southeast Asia at the earliest Neolithic level. June 1968. For publication in Festschrift volume in honor of Dr. D. Sen, Department of Anthropology, Calcutta University.
- 1959 Archaeology in China. Vol. 1. Prehistoric China. Cambridge: Heffer. [Refences to corrected reprinting, 1966.].
- 1939 La civilisation hoabinhienne extrême-orientale. Bulletin de Société Prehistorique Française 36:170–174.
- 1965 Man adapting. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- 1964 Excavations at Gua Kechil, Pahang. Journal of the Malaysian Branch, Royal Asiatic Society 37(2):87–124.
- 1966 Radiocarbon dating of the Malayan neolithic. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society 32:352–353.
- 1964 Philippines. Asian Perspectives 7(1–2):52–56. Fox, R. B.
- 1968 The Palaeolithic in the Philippines. Abstracts, Sectional Meetings, Eighth International Congress of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences, Tokyo and Kyoto, September 1968, C-4:230.
- 1968 Pleistocene-Recent boundary and Wisconsin glacial biostratigraphy in the northern Indian Ocean. Science 159:1456–1458.
- 1968 Excavations at Koonalda Cave, South Australia. Current Anthropology 9:324–325.
- 1969 Hoabinhian: a pebble-tool complex with early plant associations in Southeast Asia. Science 163:671–673.
- 1967 New light on plant domestication and the origins of agriculture: a review. Geo graphical Review 57:90–107.
- 1957 The stone age of Indonesia. The Hague: Nijhoff. Ho, R.
- 1960 The evolution of the Indo-Malayan region. In Proceedings of the Centenary and Bicentenary Congress of Biology, Singapore, 1958. R. D.Purchon, ed. Singapore: University of Malaya Press.
- 1956 Evolution, cultural and biological. In Current Anthropology. W. L.Thomas, Jr., ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1966 The prehistory of the Australian aborigines in the light of the new discoveries. Proceedings of the Eleventh Pacific Science Congress, Tokyo, 1966, 9 (Abstracts of papers): X-4:3–4.
- 1964 Geology and ecology of Taiwan prehistory. Asian Perspectives 7(1–2):203–213.
- 1961 A check-list of “Hoabinhian” sites excavated in Malaya, 1860–1939. Dept. of History, University of Malaya in Kuala Lumpur Papers on Southeast Asian Subjects, 3. Singapore: Eastern Universities Press.
- 1965 The Hoabinhian in South East Asia and elsewhere. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation. Canberra: Australian National University.
- 1963 Animal species and evolution. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
- 1968 Sea levels during the past 35,000 years. Science 162:1121–1123. , and
- 1963 New dates for early pottery in Japan. Asian Perspectives 6(1–2):75–76. , and
- 1968 Studies in the prehistory of Pahang. Paper presented at Fourth International Conference on Asian History, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, 5–10 August 1968. , and
- 1964 The tropical rain forest. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Sahlins, M. D., and E. R.Service, eds. 1960 Evolution and culture. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- 1952 Agricultural origins and dispersals. Bowman Memorial Lectures, 2. New York: American Geographical Society.
- 1940 Stations préhistoriques du Qui-Chau et de Thuong-Xuan (Nord-Annam). In Proceedings, Third Congress of Prehistorians of the Far East, Singapore, 1938. F. N.Chasen and M. W. F.Tweedie, eds. Singapore: Government Printing Office.
- 1949 The geological and geographical evidence for changes in sea level during ancient Malayan history and late pre-history. Journal of the Malayan Branch Royal Asiatic Society 22:107–115.
- 1962 Peopling of the Pacific in the light of radiocarbon dating. Asian Perspectives 5(2):207–212. , .
- 1968 Radiocarbon dating and man in south and east Asia. Fourth International Conference on Asian History, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, 5–10 August 1968. Paper No. 77. , .
- 1962 Comments on cultural evolution. In Evolution and man's progress. H.Hoagland and R. W.Burhoe, eds. New York: Columbia University Press.
- 1960 The present status of the “Palaeolithic” in Borneo. Asian Perspectives 2(2): 83–90.
- 1961 Sa-huynh related pottery in southeast Asia. Asian Perspectives 3(2): 177–188.
- 1964 Pottery and the Malayo-Polynesians. Current Anthropology 5:360, 376–384.
- 1967 Southeast Asia and the West. Science 157:896–902.
- 1968 Early bronze in northeastern Thailand. Current Anthropology 9:59–62.
- 1964a Ban Kao. Journal of the Siam Society 52:75–97.
- 1964b Comment: movement of the Malayo-Polynesians. Current Anthropology 5:395–396.
- 1964 Comment: movement of the Malayo-Polynesians. Current Anthropology 5:396–397.
- 1955 Theory of culture change. Urbana: University of Illinois Press.
- 1968 China at 1000 B.C.: a cultural mosaic. Science 160:853–856.
- 1966 Late Pleistocene vegetation and climate in Taiwan (Formosa). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 55:543–548.
- 1967 Vegetation in subtropical Formosa during the Pleistocene glaciations and the Holocene. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 3:49–64.
- 1951 The origin, variation, immunity, and breeding of cultivated plants (translation). Chronica Botanica 13(1949/51): 1–364.
- 1959 The evolution of culture. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- 1958 Method and theory in American archaeology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. , and
- 1962 Cultivated plants and their wild relatives. Abridged translation. Farnham Royal, Bucks., England: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux.