I would like to thank Professor E. E. Evans-Pritchard, Professor J. Pitt-Rivers, Dr. John Beattie, Mr. Albert Hourani, Mr. Adel Kamal, Mr. André Singer, Dr. Graham Watson, and Mr. Wasfl Yusif for their useful comments on this paper. I am also grateful to Professor Nur Yalman for inviting me to read this paper at the University of Chicago. His comments and those of his colleagues were of great help to me.
“On the Modesty of Women in Arab Muslim Villages”: A Reply1
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1970 American Anthropological Association
Volume 72, Issue 5, pages 1079–1088, October 1970
How to Cite
Abu-Zahra, N. M. (1970), “On the Modesty of Women in Arab Muslim Villages”: A Reply. American Anthropologist, 72: 1079–1088. doi: 10.1525/aa.1970.72.5.02a00080
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- Accepted for publication 22 December 1969.
- 1968 On the modesty of women in Arab Muslim villages: a study in the accommodation of traditions. American Anthropologist 70:671–697.
- 1887 The glorious Quran. Cairo. [Commentary in Arabic].
- 1957 Histoire social d'un village Egyptian au XXeme siecle. Paris: Mouton and Co.
- Gibb, H. A. R., and J. H.Kramers, eds. 1953 Shorter encyclopaedia of Islam. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- 1967 Muslim studies. Vol. I. Chicago: Al-dine. [Translated from the German by C. R. Barber and S. M. Stern.].
- 18831890 Lisan al-Arab. Cairo: Bulaq. [A standard major Arabic dictionary.].
- 1963 Dalalat al-Alfaz al-Arabiya wa-tatta-wuruha [The significance and development of Arabic vocabulary]. Cairo: Jami'at al-Duwal al-Arabiya. Ma'had al-Dirasat al-Arabiya al-'Aliya.
- (See Ibn Manzur.).
- 19581961 Textes arabes de Takrouna. 8 vols. Cotribution a l'etude du vocabulaire arabe. Paris: Geunthner. , and
- 1959 Al-Hijab [The veil]. Damascus: Dar al-Fikr al-Islami. [Translated from Urdu into Arabic by Kazim al-Sabbaq.].
- 1959 The meaning of the glorious Koran. New York: New American Library.
- 1966 Authority and Sanctuary. Paper presented to the Mediterranean Conference on Social Anthropology and Sociology, Athens, December 1966.
- 1920 Lahore: Ahmadiyya Anjuman Isha'at Islam. [Containing the Arabic text with English translation and commentary by Maulvi Muhammed Ali.] 1938 Cairo: Administrative Board of Al Azhar.
- 1888 The Koran. London: Frederick Warne and Co.
- 1890 An Arabic-English dictionary. London: Trubner. ,
- 1903 Kinship and marriage in early Arabia. London: Adam & Charles Black [Reprinted Boston: Beacon Press, n.d.]. ,