I spent about four months on Tristan da Cunha, December 1937-March 1938, as a member of a Norwegian scientific expedition under the leadership of Dr. Erling Christophersen (1946–1968). In the summer of 1962, after a volcanic eruption caused the evacuation of the island and the removal of the entire population to England, two months were spent with the islanders at Calshot in Hampshire. After resettlement in 1963, I returned to Tristan da Cunha for a stay of six months, November 1964-April 1965. Financial support is gratefully acknowledged from the Social Science Research Council (1962), the National Science Foundation (1964/65), Southern Illinois University (1965), and the American Philosophical Society (1966).
Economic Development and Conflicting Values: A Social Experiment in Tristan da Cunha†
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1970 American Anthropological Association
Volume 72, Issue 6, pages 1300–1318, December 1970
How to Cite
Munch, P. A. (1970), Economic Development and Conflicting Values: A Social Experiment in Tristan da Cunha. American Anthropologist, 72: 1300–1318. doi: 10.1525/aa.1970.72.6.02a00050
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Accepted for publication 2 October 1969.
- 1955 Automobile workers and the American dream. New York: Doubleday.
- Christophersen, Erling, ed. 19461968 Results of the Norwegian Scientific Expedition to Tristan da Cunha 1937–1938. Vols. 1–5. Oslo: Det Norske Videnskaps-Akademi.
- 1946 The motivation of the under-privileged worker. In Industry and society. W. F.Whyte, ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Editors, The South African Shipping News 1948 Exclusive report on the Tristan da Cunha fishing industry expedition. Reprint from The South African Shipping News and Fishing Industry Review. Cape Town.
- 1959 Social change in Tikopia: re-study of a Polynesian community after a generation. New York: Macmillan.
- 1968 Interpersonal relations in atomistic communities. Human Organization 27:220–229.
- 1969 Teasing and socialization on Tristan da Cunha. Manuscript.
- 1870 Ancient law: its connection with the early history of society, and its relation to modern ideas. 4th ed. London: John Murray.
- 1964 Early writings. T. B.Bottomore, transl. and ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- 1957 Social theory and social structure, Rev. ed. Glencoe: The Free Press. Ch. 4; pp. 131–160.
- 1945 Sociology of Tristan da Cunha. In Results of the Norwegian Scientific Expedition to Tristan da Cunha 1937–1938. ErlingChristophersen, ed. Oslo: Det Norske Videnskaps-Akademi. Vol. 2, no. 13.
- 1964 Culture and superculture in a displaced community: Tristan da Cunha. Ethnology 3:369–376.
- 1969 Anomie and adaptation in a displaced community: Tristan da Cunha. Paper presented to the 28th annual meeting of the Society for Applied Anthropology, Mexico City, April 9–15, 1969.
- 1929 The decline of the West: authorized translation with notes by Charles Francis Atkinson. Vol. 2. New York: Knopf.
- 1920 Gemeinschaft und Gesellschaft: Grundbegriffe der reinen Soziologie. Dritte durchgesehene Auflage. Berlin: Karl Curtius.
- 1940 Fundamental concepts of sociology (Gemeinschaft und Gesellschaft). Charles P.Loomis, trans. and suppl. New York: American Book.