The Species Problem: Nineteenth-Century Concepts of Racial Inferiority in the Origin of Man Controversy
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1970 American Anthropological Association
Volume 72, Issue 6, pages 1319–1329, December 1970
How to Cite
Haller, J. S. (1970), The Species Problem: Nineteenth-Century Concepts of Racial Inferiority in the Origin of Man Controversy. American Anthropologist, 72: 1319–1329. doi: 10.1525/aa.1970.72.6.02a00060
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Accepted for publication 29 October 1969.
- 1860 Professor Agassiz on the origin of species. American Journal of Science and Arts 30:142–154.
- 1874 Evolution and the permanence of type. Atlantic Monthly 33:92–101.
- 1866 On the ape-origin of mankind. Anthropological Review 4:121–128.
- 1877 Biographical sketch of Dr. Josiah C. Nott. Mobile [Reprinted from Transactions of the Alabama State Medical Association.].
- 1850a An investigation of the causes of hybridity in animals on record, considered in reference to the unity of the human species. Charleston Medical Journal 5:168–197.
- 1850b The doctrine of the unity of the human race examined on the principles of science. Charleston: Canning.
- 18631864 The history of anthropology. Memoirs of the Anthropological Society of London 1:335–458.
- 1865 The anthropological treatises of John Friedrich Blumenbach. London: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts, and Green.
- 1864 On the phenomena of hybridity in the genus Homo. London: Longman, Green, Longman, and Roberts.
- 18711872 The progress of anthropology in Europe and America. Journal of the Anthropological Institute of New York 1:22–42.
- 1957 Manual de anthropologfa fisca. Mexico: Fondo de Cultura Económica.
- 1946 The evolution of the race idea in modern Western culture during the period of pre-Darwinian nineteenth century. Transactions of the New York Academy of Science 8:136–165.
- 1927  The descent of man and selection in relation to sex. New York: Appleton.
- 18671869 Contributions towards determining the weight of the brain in the different races of man. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London 16:236–241.
- 1869 On the weight of the brain of the Negro. Anthropological Review 7:190–192.
- 1888 Memoir of Asa Gray. Annual Report of the Smithsonian Institution 763–783.
- 1869 History of the works of Cuvier. Annual Report of the Smithsonian Institution 141–165.
- 1869 Investigations in the military and anthropological statistics of American soldiers. New York: Hurd and Houghton.
- 1910 History of anthropology. London: Putnam's.
- 1898 On our present knowledge of the origin of man. Annual Report of the Smithsonian Institution 461–480.
- 1906  The history of creation. 2 vols.; London: Paul, Trench, Trübner.
- 1960 The beginnings of anthropology in America. In Selected papers from the American Anthropologist, 1888–1920. FredericadeLaguna, ed. New York: Row, Peterson, pp. 1–90.
- 1866 Selections from the letters and speeches of the Hon. James H. Hammond of South Carolina. New York: Trow.
- 1867 The plurality of races, and the distinctive character of the Adamite species. Anthropological Review 5:175–187.
- 1866 On the application of the principle of natural selection to anthropology. Anthropological Review 4:320–340.
- 1876 What are species? Popular Science Monthly 9:409–415.
- 1904  Man's place in nature and other anthropological essays. New York: Hill.
- 1776 Six sketches of the history of man. Philadelphia: Bell, Aitken.
- 1819 Lectures on the natural history of man. London: J. Callow.
- 1937 ‘Ware Sherman, a journal of three months’ personal experiences in the last days of the confederacy. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1954 Louis Agassiz and the races of man. Isis 45:227–242.
- 1960 Louis Agassiz: a life in science. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1895 Life, letters, and works of Louis Agassiz. 2 vols.; New York: Macmillan.
- 1839 Crania Americana; or a comparative view of the skulls of various aborginal nations of North and South America. Philadelphia: Dobson.
- 1842a Brief remarks on the diversities of the human species. Philadelphia: Merrihew and Thompson.
- 1842b An enquiry into the distinctive characteristics of the aboriginal race in America. Boston: Tuttle and Dennett.
- 1844 Crania Aegyptiaca; or observations on Egyptian ethnography, derived from anatomy, history and the monuments. Philadelphia: Penington.
- 1846 Observations on Egyptian ethnography, derived from anatomy, history, and the monuments. Transactions of the American Philosophical Society. 9:152–153.
- 1847 Hybridity of animals and plants, considered in reference to the question of the unity of the human species. New Haven: Hamlen.
- 1916 The influence of anthropology on the course of political science. University of California Publications in History 4:1–81.
- 1868 Notes on mulattoes and Negroes. Journal of the Anthropological Society of London 6:lvii–lx.
- 1860 Ephraim Squier papers. Library of Congress. mss.
- 1866 Instincts of races. New Orleans: Graham.
- and 1854 Types of mankind. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Grambo.
- and 1857 Indigenous races of the earth. Philadelphia: Lippincott.
- 1913 Josiah C. Nott. American Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children 67:957–958.
- 1872 The migrations of men. Popular Science Monthly 1:299–308.
- 1875 The natural history of man. New York: Appleton.
- 1879 The human species. New York: Appleton.
- 1886 The intermingling of races. Popular Science Monthly 30:336–351.
- 1909 The so-called North European race of mankind. Journal of the Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland 39:277–313.
- 1851  Natural history of the human species Boston: Gould and Lincoln.
- 1960 The leopard's spots, scientific attitudes toward race in America, 1812–1859. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1951 An historical resume of the concept of differences in Indian types. American Anthropologist 53:19–36. , and
- 1878 Anthropology. London: Chapman and Hall.
- 1888 The last stages in the geneology of man. Revue d'anthropologie 17:298–332.
- 1801 Histoire naturelle du genre humaine. Paris: Impr. de F. Dufast.
- 1864 Lectures on man, his place in creation, and in the history of the earth. London: Longman, Green, Longman & Roberts.
- 1863 Introduction to anthropology. London: Longman, Green, Longman, and Roberts.
- 18711872 The Adamites. Journal of the Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland 1:363–376.
- 1888  Preadamites; or a demonstration of the existence of men before Adam. Chicago: Griggs.