Death and Kinship in Hinduism: Structural and Functional Interpretations
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1970 American Anthropological Association
Volume 72, Issue 6, pages 1357–1377, December 1970
How to Cite
Orenstein, H. (1970), Death and Kinship in Hinduism: Structural and Functional Interpretations. American Anthropologist, 72: 1357–1377. doi: 10.1525/aa.1970.72.6.02a00090
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1887 The institutes of Paras'ara. Calcutta: Osiatic Society of Bengal, n.s., p. 567.
- 1879 The sacred laws of the Ãryas, Part I: Ãpastamba and Gautama. In The sacred books of the East. Max F.Müller, ed. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- 1882 The sacred laws of the Ãryas. Part II: Vãsiaha and Baudhãyana. In The sacred books of the East. Max F.Müller, ed. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- 1886 The laws of Manu. In The sacred books of the East. Max F.Müller, ed. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- 1959 Pure and impure. Contributions to Indian Sociology 3:9–39. , and
- 1907 The Dharma S'astras (“Text and translation of the twenty Samhitas”). 2 vols.; Calcutta: Elysium Press.
- 1950 The children of Hari. Vienna: Verlag Herold.
- 1956 Brahman kinship in a Tamil village. American Anthropologist 58:826–853.
- 1964 Ritual pollution as an integrator of caste and religion. Journal of Asian Studies 23:151–197.
- 1959 The logic of functional analysis. In Symposium on Sociological Theory. LlewellynGross, ed. Evanston, Ill.: Row, Peterson.
- 1960 Death and right hand. R.Needham and C.Needham, trans. Glencoe, Ill.: Free Press.
- 1880 The institutes of Vishnu. In The sacred books of the East. Max F.Müller, ed. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- 19301962 History of Dharmásãstra. 5 vols.; Poona Bhandarkar Oriental Institute.
- 1880 The Vyavahara Mayukha and the Yajnavalkya Smriti. Bombay.
- 1964 Caste and ritual in a Malwa village. Bombay: Asia Publishing House.
- 1960 Caste and kinship in central India. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- 1956 A formalization of functionalism. In Logic without metaphysics. Glencoe, Ill.: Free Press.
- 1965a Goan: Conflict and cohesion in an Indian village. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 1965b The structure of Hindu caste values: a preliminary study of hierarchy and ritual defilement. Ethnology 4:1–15.
- 1968 Toward a grammar of defilement in Hindu sacred law. In Structure and change indian society. M.Singer and B.Cohn, eds. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1969 Logical congruence in Hindu sacred law. In On culture. M.Zamora, J. M.Mahar, and H.Orenstein, eds. Quezon City: University of the Philippines Press.
- 1911 Shrinivasiyengar (“A complete collection of Hindu law books on inheritance”). Madras.
- 1952 Religion and society among the Coorgs of south India. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 1954 Status evaluation in the Hindu caste system. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland 84:45–65.
- 1960 The rites of passage. M. B.Vizedom and G. L.Coffee, trans. Glencoe, Ill.: Free Press.
- 1918 Yãjñavalkya Smriti, with the commentary of Vijnãnésvara called the Mitãksara and notes from the gloss of Bãlambhatta. Book I: The Ãchãra adhayãya. Allahabad.
- 1965 Driving to work. In Context and meaning in cultural anthropology. Melford E.Spiro, ed. Glencoe, Ill.: Free Press.
- 1963 On the purity and sexuality of women in the castes of Malabar and Ceylon. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland 93:25–58.