The field research for this study was generously supported by grants from the Agricultural Development Council, Inc., and a National Science Foundation Institutional grant to M.C.R. administered by Pennsylvania State University. We would like to thank the Makerere Institute of Social Research, Kampala, Uganda, and Dr. W. Law and Matron Lutu of Mulago Government Hospital in Masaka, Uganda, for their support. Appreciation is also extended to I. E. Harms, Professor of Child Development, Pennsylvania State University, for training J.E.K. in infant testing; P. Robbins for help in interrater reliability tests; and W. Kawuma and R. Kisule, our interpreter-research assistants. Professor Gavan of the Department of Anthropology of the University of Missouri kindly read an earlier manuscript draft and offered comments.
The Comparative Motor Development of Baganda, American White, and American Black Infants1
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1970 American Anthropological Association
Volume 72, Issue 6, pages 1422–1428, December 1970
How to Cite
Kilbride, J. E., Robbins, M. C. and Kilbride, P. L. (1970), The Comparative Motor Development of Baganda, American White, and American Black Infants. American Anthropologist, 72: 1422–1428. doi: 10.1525/aa.1970.72.6.02a00160
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Accepted for publication 18 December 1969.
- 1967 Infancy in Uganda. Baltimore: John Hopkins Press.
- 1935 The development of motor abilities during the first three years. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development 1:1–26.
- 1961 Revised manual of directions for an infant scale of mental motor development. Unpublished manuscript, University of California at Berkeley.
- 1965 Comparisons of mental and motor test scores for ages 1–15 months by sex, birth order, race, geographical locations, and education of parents. Child Development 36:379–411.
- 1958 Precocity of African children: letter to the editor. Pediatrics 21:867–868.
- 1935 The Gesell schedules applied to one-, two-, and three-year-old Negro children of Jamaica, B.W.I. Journal of Comparative Psychology 20:125–156. , , and
- 1960 The eastern lacustrine Bantu (Ganda, Soga). London: International African Institute.
- 1958 The psycho-motor development of African children in the first year, and the influence of maternal behavior. Journal of Social Psychology 47:185–195.
- 1957a Gesell tests on African children. Pediatrics 20:1055–1065. , and
- 1957b The state of development of newborn African children. Lancet 1:1216–1219. , and
- 1963 Custom and child health in Baganda:I. introduction. Tropical and Geographical Medicine 15:121–123.
- 1969 How much can we boost I.Q. and scholastic achievement?. Harvard Educational Review 39:1–123.
- 1969 The motor development of rural Baganda infants. Unpublished M.A. thesis. State College: Pennsylvania State University.
- 1969 Pictorial depth perception and acculturation among the Baganda. American Anthropologist 71:293–301. , and
- 1958 Precocity of African children: letter to the editor. Pediatrics 22:601–603.
- 1953 Further observations on the behavioral development of Negro children. Journal of Genetic Psychology 83:137–157. , and
- 1946 A comparative study of the behavioral development of Negro infants. Journal of Genetic Psychology 69:3–44.
- 1968 Household scale and acculturation in rural Buganda. Paper presented at the Missouri Society of Sociology and Anthropology, Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri. Ditto-graphed, available on request. , and
- 1969 Drinking patterns and acculturation in rural Buganda. American Anthropologist 71:276–285. , and
- 1969 Factor analysis and case selection in complex societies: a Buganda example. Human Organization 28:227–234. , , , and
- 1963 Custom and child health in Buganda: food and nutrition. Tropical and Geographical Medicine 15:138–147.
- 1965 The Ganda of Uganda. In Peoples of Africa. J. L.Gibbs, ed. New York: Holt, Rinehart, and Winston pp. 83–118.
- 1967 Comparative development of Negro and white infants. Journal of Genetic Psychology 110:243–251.
- 1963 Custom and child health in Buganda: II. methods of child rearing. Tropical and Geographical Medicine 15:124–133.
- 1966 The reliability of Bayley's revised scale of mental and motor development during the first year of life. Child Development 37:39–50. , and
- 1953 Growth and development of Negro infants: IV. motor development and its relationship to child-rearing practices in two groups of Negro infants. Child Development 24:103–121. , and