Harold E. Driver and LeRoy Johnson, Jr., generously read the reply and provided valuable comments.
Conceptual Contention: A Reply1
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1970 American Anthropological Association
Volume 72, Issue 6, pages 1456–1461, December 1970
How to Cite
Chaney, R. P. (1970), Conceptual Contention: A Reply. American Anthropologist, 72: 1456–1461. doi: 10.1525/aa.1970.72.6.02a00260
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Accepted for publication 5 March 1970.
- 1969 The structure of discovery. Science 166: 1375–1380.
- 1966 Typology and patterning: Spiro's sample re-examined. American Anthropologist 68:1456–1470.
- MS The Tylor-Galton problem and conceptual organization. , , and
- 1956 An integration of functional, evolutionary and historical theory by means of correlations. Indiana University Publications in Anthropology and Linguistics, Memoir 12.
- 1961 Indians of North America. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1966 Geographical-historical versus psycho-functional explanations of kin avoidances. Current Anthropology 7:131–182.
- Cross-cultural sampling and Galton's problem. In A handbook of method in cultural anthropology. RaoulNaroll and RonaldCohen, eds. New York: Natural History Press. , and In press
- 1957 Comparative studies of North American Indians. Transactions of the American Philosophical Society 47:165–456. , and
- 1967 Correlational analysis of Murdock's 1957 ethnographic sample. American Anthropologist 69: 332–352. , and
- 1958 Patterns of discovery. Cambridge: The Cambridge University Press.
- 1966 Geographical clusterings and functional explanations of in-law avoidances: an analysis of comparative method. Current Anthropology 7:161–169.
- 1963 Forms and problems of validation in social anthropology. Current Anthropology 4:155–169.
- 1957 World ethnographic sample. American Anthropologist 59:664–687.
- 1966 Cross-cultural sampling. Ethnology 5: 97–114.
- 1967 Ethnographic atlas: a summary. Ethnology 4:109–236.
- 1969 Standard cross-cultural sample. Ethnology 8:329–369. , and
- 1961 Two solutions to Galton's problem. Philosophy of Science 28:15–39.
- 1962 Data quality control. Glencoe: The Free Press.
- 1964a A fifth solution to Galton's problem. American Anthropologist 66:863–867.
- 1964b On ethnic unit classification. Current Anthropology 5:283–312.
- 1963 Two further solutions to Galton's problem. American Anthropologist 65:1053–1067. , and
- 1947 The logic of the sciences and the humanities. Cleveland & New York: The World Publishing Co.
- 1966 Cultural dimensions: a factor analysis of the world ethnographic sample. American Anthropologist 68:708–731. , and
- 1969 Linked pair alignments for the HRAF quality control sample universe. Behavioral Science Notes 4 (4).
- 1953 The philosophy of science. London. Hutchinson and Co. Ltd.
- 1961 The cross-cultural method. In Readings in cross-cultural methodology. Frank W.Moore, ed. New Haven: Human Relations Area Files.