Psychosocial Homeostasis and Jen: Conceptual Tools for Advancing Psychological Anthropology
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1971 American Anthropological Association
Volume 73, Issue 1, pages 23–44, February 1971
How to Cite
HSU, F. L. K. (1971), Psychosocial Homeostasis and Jen: Conceptual Tools for Advancing Psychological Anthropology. American Anthropologist, 73: 23–44. doi: 10.1525/aa.1971.73.1.02a00030
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1966 Culture, personality, and persuability. Sociometry 29: 169–174.
- 1932 Configurations of culture in North America. American Anthropologist 34(1).
- 1944 The People of Alor. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press
- The People of Alor (1960), Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press.
- 1965 Peasant society and the image of the limited good. American Anthropologist 67: 293–315.
- 1932 Sorcerers of Dobu. New York: Dutton. (Revised edition 1963, London: Kegan Paul).
- 1966 The cultural ecology of India's sacred cattle. Current Anthropology 7: 51–66.
- 1961 A history of modern Chinese fiction. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- 1952 Anthropology or psychiatry—a definition of objectives and their implications. Southwestern Journal of Anthropology 8: 227–250.
- 1953 Americans and Chinese: two ways of life. New York: Henry Schuman.
- 1963 Clan, caste and club. Princeton, New Jersey: Van Nostrand.
- 1967 Christianity and the anthropologist. International Journal of Comparative Sociology, 8(1): 1–19.
- 1968 Chinese kinship and Chinese behavior. In China in crisis, Vol. 1. TangTsou and Ping-tiHo, eds. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, pp. 579–608.
- 1969 The study of literate civilizations. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- 1970a Eros, affect and pao. In Kinship and culture, Francis L. K.Hsu, ed. Chicago: Aldine Co., Chapter 19.
- 1970b Americans and Chinese: purpose and fulfillment in great civilizations. New York: Natural History Press.
- 1970c Japanese kinship and iemoto. In Japanese translation of Francis L. K. Hsu, Clan, caste and club. (Hikaku bunmei shakai r on. Translators Keiichi Sakuda and Esyun Hamaguchi) Tokyo: Baifukan. Chapters Xi, Xii, and Xiii.
- 1960 Industrial man: the relation of status to experience, perception and value. American Journal of Sociology 66: 1–31.
- 1954 A study of Rorschach responses in four cultures. Papers of Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Harvard University, Vol. 42, No. 2.
- 1961 Cross-cultural use of projective techniques. In Psychological anthropology. Francis L. K.Hsu, ed. Home-wood, Illinois: Dorsey Press, pp. 235–254.
- 1944 Culture and personality: a conceptual scheme. American Anthropologist 46: 1–29. , and
- 1948 Personality formulation: the determinants. In Personality in nature, society and culture. Clyde Kluckhohn and Henry A.. Murray, eds. New York: Alfred Knopf, pp. 35: 48. , and
- 1961 The children of Sanchez. New York: Vintage Books.
- 1948 Resolving social conflict. New York: Harper and Bros.
- 1929 The sexual life of Savages in northwestern Melanesia. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- 1964 Social structure and personality. Glencoe: Free Press. Superego and the theory of social systems, (originally appeared in Psychiatry 15(1), February 1952).
- Peter, Prince Of Greece And Denmark 1965 The importance of Alexander the Great's expedition for the relations between East and West. Lecture delivered at Amsterdam Institute of the Tropics. Mimeographed, pp. 1–18.
- 1968 The joy of Yiddish. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- 1969 Men in groups. New York: Random House.
- 1961 The psychic unity of human groups. In Studying personality cross-culturally. BertKaplan, ed. New York: Harper and Row, pp. 129–163.