This paper was written while I was a fellow of the John Simon Guggenheim Foundation and of the East-West Center. I am grateful to both of these institutions for their support. I also wish to acknowledge the valuable suggestions I have received from Gregory Bateson, Herbert Long, Robert Levy, Mervyn Meggitt, Henry Orenstein, Eric Wolf, and Milton Yinger.
Ritual, Sanctity, and Cybernetics1
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1971 American Anthropological Association
Volume 73, Issue 1, pages 59–76, February 1971
How to Cite
RAPPAPORT, R. A. (1971), Ritual, Sanctity, and Cybernetics. American Anthropologist, 73: 59–76. doi: 10.1525/aa.1971.73.1.02a00050
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1951 Conventions of communications: where validity depends upon belief. In Ruesch, Jurgen, and Gregory Bateson, Communication, the social matrix of society, pp. 212–227. New York: W. W. Norton.
- 1950 An analysis of social power. American Sociological Review 15: 730–738.
- 1965 The logic of religion. New York: New York University Press.
- 1968 The development of ritualization. In The religious situation, pp. 711–733. DonaldCutler, ed. Boston: Beacon Press.
- 1966 Tactile communication. In Communication and culture. Alfred G.Smith, ed. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston. [Reprinted from Genetic Psychology Monographs.].
- 1907 Obsessive acts and religious practices. In Reader in comparative religion, 2nd edition, pp. 197–202. William A.Lessa and Evon Z.Vogt, eds. and trans. [Also in Zeitschrift fur Religionpsychologie 1: 4–12.] New York: Harper and Row.
- 1956 The nature of deference and demeanor. American Anthropologist 58: 473–503.
- 1960 Further consideration of cybernetic aspects of homeostasis. In Self-organizing systems. M. C.Yevits and ScottCameron, eds. New York: Pergamon Press.
- 1963 Philosophy of religion. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall.
- 1966 Animal behavior. A synthesis of ethology and comparative psychology. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- 1902 The varieties of religious experience. New York: Longmans Green.
- 1966 Control hierarchies. In Regulation and control of living systems. H.Kalmus, ed..
- 1954 Political systems of Highland Burma. Boston: Beacon Press.
- 1955 A Soloman Islands society: kinship and leadership among the Sinuai of Bougainville. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- 1967 Ritual regulation of environmental relations among a New Guinea people. Ethnology 6: 17–30.
- 1968 Pigs for the ancestors: ritual in the ecology of a New Guinea people. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- 1944 La part du Diable, Nouvelle Version. New York: Brentano's.
- 1964 The effects of early experience on social behavior and organization. In Social behavior and organization among the vertebrates, pp. 231-155. WilliamEtkin, ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1961 The ethical animal. New York: Atheneum.
- 1958 Study of processes of organization and revitalization of psychological and socio-cultural systems, based on a comparative study of nativistic religious revivals, pp. 310–311. The American Philosophical Society year book 1957.
- 1966 Religion: an anthropological view. New York: Random House.
- 1962 Animal dispersion in relation to social behavior. Edinburgh and London: Oliver and Boyd.