This is a revised version of a paper presented at the symposium “Method in Symbolic Analysis,” 70th Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, New York, November, 1971.
On Key Symbols1
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1973 American Anthropological Association
Volume 75, Issue 5, pages 1338–1346, October 1973
How to Cite
ORTNER, S. B. (1973), On Key Symbols. American Anthropologist, 75: 1338–1346. doi: 10.1525/aa.1973.75.5.02a00100
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- Accepted for publication August 2, 1972
- 1956 The Classification of Values: A Method and Illustration. American Anthropologist 58:221–248.
- 1934 Patterns of Culture. Boston: Houghton-Mifflin. 1967 The Chrysanthemum and the Sword. Cleveland and New York: World.
- 1948 On the Place of “Themes” and Kindred Concepts in Social Theory. American Anthropologist 50:436–443.
- 1966 Purity and Danger. New York: Praeger.
- 1936 The Wealth Concept as an Integrative Factor in Tolowa-Tututni Culture. In Essays in Anthropology Presented to A. L. Kroeber. RobertLowie, Ed. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1955 The Dominant Value Profile of American Culture. American Anthropologist 57:1232–1239.
- 1962 Social Anthropology and Other Essays. New York: Free Press.
- 1966 Religion as a Cultural System. In Anthropological Approaches to the Study of Religion. MichaelBanton, Ed. ASA Monographs 3. London: Tavistock.
- 1950 Dominant and Substitute Profiles of Cultural Orientation. Social Forces 28:376–393.
- 1966 The Savage Mind. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1961 Divinity and Experience. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- 1964 Language and Psychology. In New Directions in the Study of Language. Eric H.Lenneberg, Ed. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
- 1945 Themes as Dynamic Forces in Culture. American Journal of Sociology 51:198–206.
- 1966 Tibetan Circles. M.A. thesis, University of Chicago.
- 1970 Food for Thought: A Key Symbol in Sherpa Culture. Ph.D. thesis, University of Chicago.
- 1942 World Hypotheses. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.
- 1968 American Kinship. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall.
- 1958 The Great Tradition in a Metropolitan Center: Madras. In Traditional India: Structure and Change. MiltonSinger, Ed. Philadelphia: American Folklore Society.
- 1967 The Forest of Symbols. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.