Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1976 American Anthropological Association
Volume 78, Issue 3, pages 570–584, September 1976
How to Cite
HALLIDAY, M. A. K. (1976), Anti-Languages. American Anthropologist, 78: 570–584. doi: 10.1525/aa.1976.78.3.02a00050
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Accepted 28 February 1976
- 1966 The Social Construction of Reality: A Treatise in the Sociology of Knowledge. New York: Doubleday. , and
- 1974 A Brief Account of the Theory of Codes. In Class, Codes and Control: Theoretical Studies Towards a Sociology of Language. BasilBernstein, ed. London: Paladin.
- 1971 The Berber House, or The World Reversed. In Echanges et Communications: Mélanges offerts à Claude Lévi-Strauss á l'occasion de son 60e Anniversaire. J.Pouillon and P.Maranda, eds. The Hague: Mouton.
- 1971 A Separate Reality: Further Conversations with Don Juan. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- 1974 Variable Rules: Performance as a Statistical Reflection of Competence. Language 50:333–355. , and
- 1970 The Dyirbal Language of North Queensland. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1973 Rules and Meanings: The Anthropology of Everyday Knowledge. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books.
- 1967 Studies in Ethnomethodology. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall.
- 1963 Stigma: Notes on the Management of Spoiled Identity. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall.
- 1975 Language as Social Semiotic: Towards a General Sociolinguistic Theory. In The First LACUS Forum. AdamMakkai and ValerieBecker Makkai, eds. Columbia, South Carolina: Hornbeam Press.
- Text as Semantic Choice in Social Contexts. In Grammars and Descriptions. T. A.vanDijk and J.Petöfi, eds. Berlin: de Gruyter (in press). n.d.
- 1567 A Caveat or Warening for Commen Cursetories vulgarely called Vagabones. London: Wylliam Gryffith. (A Caveat for Common Cursitors. In Cony-Catchers and Bawdy Baskets: An Anthology of Elizabethan Low Life. Gãmini Salgãdo, ed. Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1972.).
- 1972 Rappin' and Stylin' Out: Communication in Urban Black America. Urbana: University of Illinois Press.
- 1969 Contraction, Deletion and Inherent Variability of the English Copula. Language 45:715–762.
- 1966 The Savage Mind. London: Weidenfeld and Nicholson.
- 1972 Language of the Underworld of West Bengal. Research Series No. 76. Calcutta: Sanskrit College.
- 1973 More Goon Show Scripts: Written and Selected by Spike Milligan, with a Foreword by H.R.H. The Prince of Wales. London: Sphere Books.
- 1957 The Language of Buying and Selling in Cyrenaica: A Situational Statement. Hesperis 26:31–71.
- 1973 “Second Life” and Its Implications. Mimeograph.
- 1974 A Simplest Systematics for the Organization of Turn-Taking in Conversation. Language 50:696–735. , , and
- 1974 A Quantitative Paradigm for the Study of Communicative Competence. In Explorations in the Ethnography of Speaking. RichardBauman and JoelSherzer, eds. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.