A Look at Academic Anthropology: Through a Graph Darkly
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1976 American Anthropological Association
Volume 78, Issue 4, pages 829–843, December 1976
How to Cite
Rogge, A. E. (1976), A Look at Academic Anthropology: Through a Graph Darkly. American Anthropologist, 78: 829–843. doi: 10.1525/aa.1976.78.4.02a00070
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Accepted 3 February 1976 Received 12 March 1976
- American Anthropological Association 196274 Guide to Departments of Anthropology. Washington: American Anthropological Association. (Published successively as: Guide to Departmental Offerings in the Field of Anthropology for the Year 1962–63; Guide to Graduate Departments of Anthropology for the Year 1963–64, … for the Year 1968–69; Guide to Departments of Anthropology 1969–70, … 1974–75.).
- Behavioral and Social Sciences Survey Committee 1969 The Behavioral and Social Sciences: Outlook and Needs. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall.
- 1969 Theory Construction: From Verbal to Mathematical Formulations. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall.
- 1942 Anthropology Offerings in American Undergraduate Colleges. American Anthropologist 44:527–530. , and
- 1974 Readings in the History of Anthropology. New York: Harper and Row.
- 1894 The Study of Anthropology in American Colleges. Archaeologist 2:368–373.
- 1967 Cultural Anthropology in the United States Since 1900: A Quantitative Analysis. Southwestern Journal of Anthropology 23:111–140. , and
- Fitting, James E., ed. 1973 The Development of North American Archaeology. Garden City: Anchor Books.
- 1975 Address of the Incoming President. In Annual Report 1974. Pp. 13–20. Washington: American Anthropological Association.
- 1869 Hereditary Genius: An Inquiry into Its Laws and Consequences. London: Macmillan.
- 1972 Coherent Social Groups in Scientific Change. Science 177:959–964. , and
- Gumerman, George J., ed. 1971 The Distribution of Prehistoric Population Aggregates. Prescott: Prescott College Press.
- Gumerman, George J., ed. 1972 Proceedings of Second Annual Meeting of the Southwestern Anthropological Research Group. Prescott: Prescott College Press.
- 1972 Politicalization in Science. Science 178:713–724.
- 1934 History of Anthropology. London: Watts.
- 1960 The Beginnings of Anthropology in America. In Selected Papers from the American Anthropologist 1888–1920. FredericaDeLaguna, ed. Pp. 1–104. Evanston: Row, Peterson.
- 1973 A Mathematical Theory of Social Change. New York: Wiley. , , and
- 1968 The Rise of Anthropological Theory. New York: Crowell.
- 1973 Theories of Man and Culture. New York: Columbia University Press.
- 1975 Sigma Xi Growth Bucks Trend. American Scientist 63:137.
- 1968 Science: the History of Science. In International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, Vol. 14. Pp. 74–83.
- 1970 The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. Second ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1974 Training Programs for New Opportunities in Applied Anthropology. Washington: American Anthropological Association/Society for Applied Anthropology. , , and
- 1926 The Frequency Distribution of Scientific Productivity. Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences 16:317–323.
- 1937 The History of Ethnological Theory. New York: Farrar and Rinehart.
- 1899 Extent of Instruction in Anthropology in Europe and the United States. Science 10:910–917.
- 1902 The Teaching of Anthropology in the United States. Science 15:211–216.
- 1919 The Academic Teaching of Anthropology in Connection with Other Departments. American Anthropologist 21:49–60.
- 1974 Images of Man. New York: Knopf.
- 1971 Toward Human Futuristics. In Human Futuristics. MagorohMaruyama and J. A.Dator, eds. Pp. 1–30. Honolulu: Social Science Research Institute, University of Hawaii.
- 1972 The Limits to Growth. New York: Universe Books. , et al.
- 1933 A History of American Anthropology. Calcutta: University of Calcutta.
- 1973 A Comparison of the Effectiveness of Social and Topical Criteria in Identifying Scholarly Communities. M.A. thesis, Department of Anthropology, Cornell University.
- National Institute of Mental Health 1969 Sociologists and Anthropologists: Supply and Demand in Educational Institutions and Other Settings. Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- National Science Board 1969 Graduate Education: Parameters for Public Policy. Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- 1973 Statistical Package for the Social Sciences—6000: Update Manual Version 5.5. Evanston: Northwestern University, Vogelback Computing Center. , , and
- 1935 A Hundred Years of Anthropology. London: Duckworth.
- 1963 Little Science, Big Science. New York: Columbia University Press.
- 1965 Networks of Scientific Papers. Science 149:510–515.
- 1972 Patterns of Productivity of Scientists. Science 176:940–941.
- 1971 The History of American Archaeology: An Examination of Procedure. American Antiquity 36:383–409. ,
- Smith, Alan H., and John L.Fischer, eds. 1970 Anthropology. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall.
- 1970 American Anthropologist: The First Eighty Years. Newsletter of the American Anthropological Association 11(10):1, 6–12. , and
- 1968 Psychophysics. In International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, Vol. 13. Pp. 120–126.
- 1968 Race, Culture and Evolution: Essays in the History of Anthropology. New York: Free Press.
- 1971 Comments on Archaeological Data Requirements and Research Design. American Antiquity 36:9–19.
- Tax, Sol, and Francis X.Grollig, eds. 1973 Serial Publications in Anthropology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1974 Shifting Views of Science. Review of Social Processes of Scientific Development ed. by Richard Whitley. Science 186:339–340.
- 1950 Anthropology in American Universities. American Anthropologist 52:350–391.
- Willey, Gordon R., ed. 1974 Archaeological Researches in Retrospect. Cambridge: Winthrop.
- 1974 A History of American Archaeology. San Francisco: Freeman. , and
- Woodbury, Nathalie F. S., ed. 1974 Preface; Recent PhD Dissertations in Anthropology. In Guide to Departments of Anthropology 1974–75. Nathalie F. S.Woodbury, ed. Pp. iii; 303. Washington: American Anthropological Association.