Human Territoriality: An Ecological Reassessment
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1978 American Anthropological Association
Volume 80, Issue 1, pages 21–41, March 1978
How to Cite
Dyson-Hudson, R. and Smith, E. A. (1978), Human Territoriality: An Ecological Reassessment. American Anthropologist, 80: 21–41. doi: 10.1525/aa.1978.80.1.02a00020
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Submitted 18 June 1976, Accepted 6 May 1977, Revised version received 30 June 1977, Final revisions received 28 September 1977
- 1966 The Territorial Imperative. New York: Atheneum.
- 1970 Territorial Behavior in Primates: A Review of Recent Field Studies. Primates 11:271–284.
- 1970 The Emergence of Hunting Territories among the Northern Ojibwa. Ethnology 9:1–15.
- 1974 The Northern Ojibwa and the Fur Trade: An Historical and Ecological Study. Toronto: Holt, Rinehart and Winston of Canada.
- 1964 The Evolution of Diversity in Avian Territorial Systems. Wilson Bulletin 76:160–169.
- 1970 Spacing Patterns in Mobile Animals. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 1:239–262. , and
- 1943 Territoriality and Home Range Concepts as Applied to Mammals. Journal of Mammalogy 24:346–352.
- 1958 Territoriality: A Review of Concepts and Problems. In Behavior and Evolution, A.Roe and G. G.Simpson, ed. Pp. 224–250. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- 1976 Environmental Orientations: A Multidimensional Approach to Social Ecology. Current Anthropology 17:49–70.
- 1939 Is the Algonquian Family Hunting Ground System Pre-Columbian. American Anthropologist 41:66–90.
- 1970 Social Behavior and Ethology. In Social Behavior in Birds and Mammals, J. H.Crook, ed. Pp. xxi–xl. New York: Academic Press.
- 1972 Sexual Selection, Dimorphism, and Social Organization in the Primates. In Sexual Selection and the Descent of Man, 1871–1971, B. G.Campbell, ed. Pp. 231–281. Chicago: Aldine.
- 1973 The Nature and Function of Territorial Aggression. In Man and Aggression, AshleyMontagu, ed. Pp. 183–220. London: Oxford University Press.
- Damas, David, ed. 1969 Conference on Band Societies. National Museum of Canada, Bulletin 228.
- 1971 Energy Relations and Some Basic Properties of Primate Social Organization. American Anthropologist 73:77–95.
- 1972 Population Growth and Political Centralization. In Population Growth: Anthropological Implications, BrianSpooner, ed. Pp. 286–310. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- 1976 Resource Competition and Human Aggression: A Review of Primitive War. Quarterly Review of Biology 51:385–415.
- 1966 Karimojong Politics. London: Oxford University Press.
- 1972 Pastoralism: Self-Image and Behavioral Reality. Journal of Asian and African Studies 7 (1–2):30–47. Also in Perspectives on Nomadism. William Irons and Neville Dyson-Hudson, eds. Leiden:Brill. Dyson-Hudson, Rada, and Neville Dyson-Hudson.
- 1969 Subsistence Herding in Uganda. Scientific American 220 (2):76–89.
- 1970 The Food Production System of a Semi-Nomadic Society: The Karimojong, Uganda. In African Food Production Systems: Cases and Theory, P. F. M.McLoughlin, ed. Pp. 91–124. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Press.
- 1972 The Relation between Ecology and Social Structure in Primates. Science 176:863–874. , , and
- 1975 Adaptive Significance of Synchronized Breeding in a Colonial Bird: A New Hypothesis. Science 188:1029–1031. , and
- Esser, A. H., ed. 1971 Behavior and Environment: The Use of Space by Animals and Men. New York: Plenum.
- 1975 Economics of Feeding Territoriality in the Golden-Winged Sunbird. Ecology 56: 333–345. , and
- 1949 The Size of Algonkian Hunting Territories: A Function of Ecological Adjustment. American Anthropologist 51:35–45.
- 1976 Defense of Space and Resources by Chacma (Papio ursinus) Baboon Troops in an African Desert and Swamp. Ecology 57:1264–1272. , , and
- 1970 Refuging. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 1:263–286. , and
- 1977 Some Implications for Hunter-Gatherer Ecology Derived from the Spatial Structure of Resources. World Archaeology 8:275–283. , and
- 1972 Territoriality among the Bushmen in General and the !Ko in Particular. Anthropos 67:405–416.
- 1956 The Biological Significance of the Territories of Birds. Anthropos 98:340–369.
- 1968 The Adaptive Significance of Colonial Nesting in the Brewers Blackbird (Euphagus cyanocephalus). Ecology 49:682–694.
- 1975 Socioterritorial Units among Carnivores and Early Hominids. Journal of Anthropological Research 31:69–87.
- 1976 Society and Territory in Human Evolution. Journal of Evolution 5:323–332.
- 1969 Habitats and Territories: A Study of the Use of Space by Animals. New York: Basic Books.
- 1965 A Re-examination of Hunting, Trapping, and Territoriality among the Northeastern Algonkian Indians. In Man, Culture, and Animals, AnthonyLeeds and Andrew P.Vayda, eds. Pp. 27–42. American Association for the Advancement of Science Publication 78.
- 1968 Ecological Adaptations for Breeding in Birds. London: Methuen.
- 1954 The Montagnais “Hunting Territory” and the Fur Trade. American Anthropological Association, Memoir 78.
- 1972 Kung Spatial Organization: An Ecological and Historical Perspective. Human Ecology: 1:125–147.
- Lee, Richard B., and IrvenDeVore, eds. 1968 Man the Hunter. Chicago: Aldine.
- 1966 The Strategy of Model Building in Population Biology. American Scientist 54: 421–431.
- 1974 The Foraging Adaptation—Uniformity or Diversity Module in Anthropology, No. 56. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- 1975 Hunter-Gatherer Territoriality: The Perspective from Australia. American Anthropologist 77:53–68.
- 1974 Evolutionary Ecology. New York: Harper and Row.
- 1930 The Social Organization of Australian Tribes. Oceania 1:34–63.
- 1966 Open Groups in Hominid Evolution. Man 1:441–452.
- 1965 Chimpanzees of the Budongo Forest. In Primate Behavior, IrvenDeVore, ed. Pp. 368–424. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston. , and
- 1962 Primitive Social Organization. First ed. New York: Random House.
- 1971 Primitive Social Organization. Second ed. New York: Random House.
- 1975 Origins of the State and Civilization. New York: Norton.
- 1968 The Adaptive Nature of Social Organization in the Genus of Tree Squirrels Tamiascirius. Ecological Monographs 40:349–371.
- 1977 Adaptation and Energetic Efficiency: A General Model. Manuscript. Files of the author.
- 1915 The Family Hunting Band as the Basis of Algonkian Social Organization. American Anthropologist 17:289–305.
- 1923 Mistassini Hunting Territories in the Labrador Peninsula. American Anthropologist 25:452–471.
- 1939 The Significance of the Hunting Territory System of the Algonkian in Social Theory. American Anthropologist 41:269–280. , and
- 1938 Basin-Plateau Aboriginal Sociopolitical Groups. Bureau of American Ethnology, Bull. 120.
- 1955 The Great Basin Shoshonean Indians: An Example of a Family Level of Sociocultural Integration. In Theory of Culture Change. J. H.Steward. Pp. 101–121. Urbana: University of Illinois Press.
- 1972 Western Shoshone Ecology: Settlement Patterns and Beyond. In Great Basin Cultural Ecology: A Symposium, DonFolwer, ed. Pp. 135–154. Desert Research Institute, Reno, Publ. in Social Science, No. 8.
- 1973 An Empirical Test for Steward's Model of Great Basin Settlement Patterns. American Antiquity 38:155–176.
- 1974 An Archaeological Perspective on Shoshonean Bands. American Anthropologist 76:11–23.
- 1957 The Functions of Bird Territory. Bird Study 4:14–27.
- 1973 The Importance of Certain Assemblages of Birds as “Information-Centres” for Food-Finding. Bird Study 115:517–534. , and
- 1974 A Model of Band Society. Society for American Archaeology, Memoir 29.
- 1973 Interaction, Spacing Behavior, and the Organization of Hunting Bands. Journal of Anthropological Research 29:1–31.
- 1971 Competitive and Aggressive Behavior. In Man and Beast: Comparative Social Behavior. J. F.Eisenberg and W. S.Dillon, eds. Pp. 181–217. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press.
- 1975 Sociobiology: The New Synthesis. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- 1971 Time and Energy Budgets of Territorial Humming Birds. Ecology 52:980–988. , and
- 1971 The Social Behavior of the White Wagtail Wintering in Israel. Ecology 113:203–211.