MILTON SINGER is professor emeritus in the Department of Anthropology and Paul Klapper Professor of the Social Sciences, the College, the University of Chicago. After completing his doctoral studies at Chicago in 1940, he joined the faculty in 1941 and has been teaching there since. He spent two periods as a Fellow at the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences (1957–58, 1965). Other research and study trips took him to Europe in 1952 and 1954 and to India in 1954–55, 1960–61, and 1964; the first four trips were under the auspices of Robert Redfield's project on intercultural studies, and the last one was as a Faculty Research Fellow of the American Institute of Indian Studies.
Signs of the Self: An Exploration in Semiotic Anthropology
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1980 American Anthropological Association
Volume 82, Issue 3, pages 485–507, September 1980
How to Cite
Singer, M. (1980), Signs of the Self: An Exploration in Semiotic Anthropology. American Anthropologist, 82: 485–507. doi: 10.1525/aa.1980.82.3.02a00010
His publications include, in addition to a number of professional papers and jointly authored volumes: When a Great Tradition Modernizes: An Anthropological Approach to Indian Civilization. He is now writing two books, one on American identity based in part on an updating of Lloyd Warner's “Yankee City”. research, and the other on the possibility of a semiotic anthropology. The paper “Signs of the Self” was the American Anthropological Association Distinguished Lecture for 1978.
Singer is a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and an honorary member of the International Society for the Comparative Study of Civilizations.
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
This article has been cited by:
- 2Ajātasattu and the future of psychoanalytic anthropology. Part II: The imperative of the wish, International Journal of Hindu Studies, 1997, 1, 2, 314,
- 8Beyond Goffman, 1990,,
- 10Interethnic conflict and aggression: A Melanesian datum, International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 1988, 12, 4, 401,
- 12Semiotic Mediation, 1985,,
- 15The semiotics of play: A bridge between nature and culture?, Reviews in Anthropology, 1983, 10, 4, 9,