“illegal aliens” and “opportunity”: myth-making in congressional testimony
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1991 American Anthropological Association
Volume 18, Issue 2, pages 279–294, May 1991
How to Cite
CHOCK, P. P. (1991), “illegal aliens” and “opportunity”: myth-making in congressional testimony. American Ethnologist, 18: 279–294. doi: 10.1525/ae.1991.18.2.02a00050
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- Submitted 6 July 1990; revised version submitted 21 September 1990; accepted 31 October 1990
- 1990 Keeping a Watchful Eye: The Politics of Congressional Oversight. Washington, DC: The Brook-ings Institution.
- 1981 Discourse in the Novel. In The Dialogic Imagination: Four Essays. MichaelHolquist, ed. CarylEmerson and MichaelHolquist, trans. pp. 259–422. Austin: University of Texas Press.
- 1987 Performing Passions: Aesthetics and Politics in an Occasionally Egalitarian Community. American Ethnologist 14:236–250.
- 1987 The Irony of Stereotypes: Toward an Anthropology of Ethnicity. Cultural Anthropology 2:347–368.
- 1989 The Landscape of Enchantment: Redaction in a Theory of Ethnicity. Cultural Anthropology 4:163–181.
- 1986 Ethnicity and the Postmodern Arts of Memory. In Writing Culture. J.Clifford and G. E.Marcus, eds. pp. 194–233. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1974 Illegal Aliens Living in Queens Are Assailed at Hearings. New York Times, 24 November: 106.
- 1976 Roots. New York: Doubleday.
- 1987 Turn-Taking, Overlap, and the Task at Hand: Ordering Speaking Turns in Legal Settings. American Ethnologist 14:251–270.
- 1963 Culture against Man. New York: Random House.
- 1981 The Political Unconscious. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- 1975 The Woman Warrior. New York: Vintage.
- 1983 Rethinking Intellectual History: Texts, Contexts, Language. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- 1981 No Place of Grace: Antimodernism and the Transformation of American Culture 1880–1920. New York: Pantheon.
- 1985 The Concept of Hegemony. American Historical Review 90:567–593.
- 1963a The Structural Study of Myth. In Structural Anthropology. pp. 206–231. New York: Basic Books.
- 1963b Totemism. RodneyNeedham, trans. Boston: Beacon Press.
- 1971  Reification and the Consciousness of the Proletariat. In History and Class Consciousness: Studies in Marxist Dialectics. RodneyLivingstone, trans. pp. 83–222. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- 1937 Middletown in Transition. New York: Harcourt, Brace and Company. , and
- 1986 Everyday Understandings of the Law in Working-Class America. American Ethnologist 13:253–270.
- 1989 Belonging in America: Reading between the Lines. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.
- 1976 Congress, the Bureaucracy, and Public Policy. Homewood, IL: Dorsey Press. , and
- Rischin, Moses, ed. 1965 The American Gospel of Success. Chicago: Quadrangle Books.
- 1980 American Kinship: A Cultural Account. 2nd ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1976 Shifters, Linguistic Categories, and Cultural Description. In Meaning in Anthropology. K.Basso and H.Selby, eds. pp. 11–55. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press.
- 1984 Committees in Congress. Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly Press. , and
- 1986 Beyond Ethnicity. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 1976 A Conceptual Analysis of the “Alien Invasion”: Institutionalized Support of Illegal Mexican Aliens in the U.S. International Migration Review 10:157–189.
- Thernstrom, Stephen, AnnOrlov, and OscarHandlin, eds. 1980 Harvard Encyclopedia of American Ethnic Groups. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- U.S. Congress, House of Representatives 1975 Illegal Aliens. Hearings before the Subcommittee on Immigration, Citizenship, and International Law of the Committee on the Judiciary. 94th Congress, First Session, on H.R. 982 and Related Bills. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- 1989 Sentences in the Language Prison: The Rhetorical Structuring of an American Language Policy Debate. American Ethnologist 16:268–278.