Powhatan's Pursestrings: On the Meaning of Surplus in a Seventeenth Century Algonkian Chiefdom
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Archeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association
Special Issue: Lords of the Southeast: Social Inequality and the Native Elites of Southeastern North American
3, 1992 pages 61–80
How to Cite
Barker, A. W. (1992), Powhatan's Pursestrings: On the Meaning of Surplus in a Seventeenth Century Algonkian Chiefdom. Archeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association, 3: 61–80. doi: 10.1525/ap3a.19220.127.116.11
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- 1949 Studies in African Land Usage in Northern Rhodesia. Rhodes-Livingstone Papers, No. 15.
- 1965 The African Husbandman. Edinburgh : Oliver and Boyd.
- 1969 Relatyon of the Discovery of Our River. In The Jamestown Voyages Under the First Charter, Philip L.Barbour, ed. Cambridge : Hakluyt Society. 2d ser. 136, Pp. 80–98.
- 1988 The Rise and Fall of the Powhatan Empire. In After Columbus, J.Axtell, ed., pp. 182–221. New York : Oxford University Press.
- 1986 The Complete Works of Captain John Smith(1580–1631). 3vols. Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press.
- 1969 The Jamestown Voyages Under the First Charter. 2d ser. Cambridge : Hakluyt Society.
- 1964 Archaeological and Ethno historical Investigation of Cultural Diversity and Progressive Development Among Aboriginal Cultures of Coastal Virginia andNorth Carolina. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Michigan.
- 1890 The Genesis of the United States. 2 vols. New York : Houghton and Mifflin.
- 1963 Struggle for Land. Melbourne : Oxford University Press. , and
- 1960 Slash and Burn Agriculture: A Closer Look at its Implications for Settlement Patterns. In Men and Cultures, Anthony F.C.Wallace, ed. Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press.
- 1959 Population–Land Balance under Systems of Tropical Forest Agriculture. Proceedings of the Ninth Pacific Conference. .
- 1977 The Powhatan Uprising of 1622: A Historical Study of Ethnocentrism and Cultural Conflict. Ph.D. dissertation, College of William and Mary.
- 1990 An Abundance of Blood Shed on Both Sides: England's First Indian War, 1609–1614. Virginia Magazine of History and Biography 98: 3–56.
- 1966 Powhatan, A Study in Political Organization. Wiener Volkerkundliche Mitteilungen 13: 69–83.
- 1972 Virginia Indian Miscellany in. Archivfiir Volkerkunde 26: 1–14.
- 1973 Seventeenth Century Virginia Population Estimates. Quarterly Bulletin of the Archaeological Society of Virginia 28: 66–79.
- 1985 Virginia Algonquians. In Handbook of North American Indians, Volume 15, Northeast, B.G.Trigger, ed., pp. 253–270. Washington D.C. : Smithsonian Institution.
- 1974 An Ethnohistorical Study of the Powhatan Tribes. The Chesopiean 12: 1–79.
- 1990 Between Powhatan and Quirank: Reconstructing Monacan Culture and History in the Context of Jamestown. American Anthropologist 92: 676–690.
- 1984 The Seasons ofTsenacommacoh and the Rise of Wahunsenacawh: Structure and Ecology in Social Evolution. M.A. Thesis, University of Virginia.
- 1979 Ancient Panama: Chiefs in Search of Power. Austin : University of Texas Press.
- 1978 Information Sources and the Development of Decision-Making Organizations. In Social Archaeology, Beyond Subsistence and Dating, C.L.Redman, M.J.Berman, E.V.Curtin, W.T.Langhorne, Jr., N.M.Versaggi, and J.C.Wanser, eds., pp. 87–112. New York : Academic Press.
- 1982 Organizational Structure and Scalar Stress. In Theory and Explanation in Archaeology: The Southampton Conference, C.Renfrew, M.J.Rowlands, and B.A.Seagraves, eds., pp. 389–421. New York : Academic Press.
- 190635 Records of the Virginia Company of London. 4 vols. Washington , D.C. : Library of Congress. , comp.
- 1939 Cultural and Natural Areas of Native North America. University of California Publications in American Archaeology and Ethnology, No. 38.
- 1985 Order and Chaos in Early America: Political and Social Stability in Pre-Restoration Virginia. American Historical Review 90: 275–298.
- 1958 The Discoveries of John Lederer in Three Several Marches from Virginia to the West of Carolina and Other Parts of the Continent: Begun in March, 1669, and Ended in September 1670. Charlottesville : University of Virginia Press.
- 1953 The Spanish Jesuit Mission in Virginia, 1570–1572. Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press. , and
- 1967 A Summary of Subsistence. In Environment and Subsistence, Volume I of the Prehistory of the Tehuacan Valley, Susan S.Byers, ed., pp. 290–310. Austin : University of Texas Press.
- 1944 The Aboriginal Population of Tidewater, Virginia. American Anthropologist 46: 193–208.
- 1923 The Aboriginal Population of America North of Mexico. Smithsonian Miscellaneous Collections 80, No. 7.
- 1907 The Powhatan Confederacy, Past and Present. American Anthropologist 9: 129–152.
- 1910 Powhatan. In Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, F.W.Hodge, ed. pp. 11:299–302. Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin 30.
- 1625 Nova Anglia, or New-England, or A Briefe Ennaration of the Ayre, Earth, Water, Fish and Fowle of That Country, with a Description of the Natures, Orders, Habits and Religion of the Natives. London.
- 1969 Observations Gathered Out of a Discourse of the Plantation of the Southern Colonie in Virginia By the English 1606. In The Jamestown Voyages Under the First Charter 1606–1609. Pp. 129–146. Cambridge : Hakluyt Society.
- 192122 A Trewe Relacyon. Tyler's Quarterly 3: 259–282.
- 1957 The Economy as Instituted Process, in Trade and Market in the Early Empires, K.Polanyi, C.Arensberg and H.Pearson, eds., pp. 243–269. Glencoe : The Free Press.
- 1989 Early English Effects on Virginia Algonquian Exchange and Tribute in theTidewater Potomac. In Powhatan's Mantle: Indians in the Colonial Southeast, P.H.Wood, G.A.Waselkov and M.T.Hatley, eds., pp. 151–172. Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press.
- 1985 Set Fair For Roanoke: Voyages and Colonies 1584–1606. Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press.
- 1989 The Powhatan Indians of Virginia: Their Traditional Culture. Norman : University of Oklahoma Press.
- 1939 Punishment and Social Structure. New York : Columbia University Press. , and
- 1962 Moala: Culture and Nature on a Fijian Island. Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press.
- 1972 Stone Age Economics. Chicago : Aldine Publishing Co.
- 1971 Primitive Social Organization. New York : Random House.
- 1980 Savagism and Civility: Indians and Englishmen in Colonial Virginia. New York : Oxford University Press.
- 1986a A Map of Virginia. In The Complete Works of Captain John Smith (1580–1631), Philip L.Barbour, ed., pp. 1119–190. 3 vols. Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press.
- 1986b The Generall History of Virginia, New England, and the Summer Isles. In The Complete Works of Captain John Smith (1580–1631). Philip L.Barbour, ed., pp. 2:25–487. 3 vols. Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press.
- 1910 Relation of Virginea. In The Travels and Works of Captain John Smith, EdwardArber and A.G.Bradley, eds., pp. ci–cxxi. Edinburgh : John Grant.
- 1953 The Historie ofTravell into Virginia Britania, Louis B.Wright and VirginiaFreund, eds. Cambridge : Hakluyt Society. 2d. ser., vol 103.
- 1928 Aboriginal Cultures of the Southeast. Washington, D.C.: Forty-seventh Annual Report of the Bureau of American Ethnology, pp. 673–726.
- 1946 Indians of the Southeastern United States. Washington , D.C : Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin No. 137.
- 1990 Sanitation and Seeing: the Creation of State Power in Early Colonial Fiji. Comparative Studies in Society and History 32: 149–170.
- 1973 A New Population Estimate for the Powhatan Chiefdom of the Coastal Plain of Virginia. Quarterly Bulletin of the Archaeological Society of Virginia 28: 57–65.
- 1976 An Archaeological and Ethno historical Study on the Evolution of Rank Societies in the Virginia Coastal Plain. Ph.D. dissertation, Pennsylvania State University.
- 1982 A Reexamination of Powhatan Territorial Boundaries and Population, ca. A.D. 1607. Quarterly Bulletin of the Archaeological Society of Virginia. 37: 45–64.
- 1975 Warfare and the Evolution of the State: A Reconsideration. American Antiquity 40: 464–470.
- 1986 Models of Chiefdom Economy: Prehistoric Moundville as a Case Study. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Michigan.