The Mode and Tempo of the Initial Human Colonisation of Empty Landmasses: Sahul and the Americas Compared
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Archeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association
Special Issue: Rediscovering Darwin: Evolutionary Theory in Archeological Explanation
7, 1997 pages 233–250
How to Cite
Webb, R. E. and Rindos, D. J. (1997), The Mode and Tempo of the Initial Human Colonisation of Empty Landmasses: Sahul and the Americas Compared. Archeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association, 7: 233–250. doi: 10.1525/ap3a.19188.8.131.52
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- 1989 Routes into the New World.. Pullman : Washington State University Press. (editor
- 1993 The ones that will not go away. In From Kostienki to Govts (Soffer, O. & Praslov, N.D, eds.), pp. 199–218. New York : Plenum Press.
- 1990 The Meadowcroft rockshelter radocarbon chronology 1975–1990. American Antiquity 55: 348–54. , &
- 1992 Never say never again: some thoughts on could haves and might have beens. American Antiquity 57: 327–31. , &
- 1990 Science-based Dating in Archaeology.. London : Longman.
- 1989 When did humans first colonize Australia. Search 20: 149–54.
- 1994 Radiocarbon determinations, luminescence dating and Australian archaeology. Antiquity 68: 339–43.
- 1995 The contamination of Pleistocene radiocarbon determinations in Australia. Antiquity 69:101–12. &
- 1996 Regional patterns of Folsom mobility and landuse in the American Southwest. World Archaeology 27: 411–26.
- AMQUA 1978 The la-free Corridor and the Peopling of North America.. Edmonton : American Quaternary Association, Abstracts of the V Bienniel Meeting, Alberta.
- 1991 First Australians headed south in haste. New Scientist 132:3.
- 1990 Migrations in archaeology: the baby and the bathwater. American Anthropologist 92: 895–914.
- 1993 50,000-year-old Americans of Pedra Furada. Nature 362:114–5.
- 1996 Radiocarbon calibration and the peopling of North America. In Archaeological Chemistry: Organic, Inorganic and Biochemical Analysis (Orna, M. V., ed.), pp. 415–33. Washington , DC : American Chemical Society. &
- 1991 Colonising continents: some problems from Australia and the Americas. Inop cit (Dillehay, I. D. & Meltzer, D. J., eds.), pp. 209–30. Boca Raton : CRC Press.
- 1978 Man's Conquest of the Pacific. Auckland : Collins.
- 1988 An optimal foraging-based model of hunter-gatherer population dynamics. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology!: 329–72.
- 1953 Some environmental and cultural factors influencing the structuring of Australian Aboriginal populations. The American Naturalist 87: 171–207.
- 1957 Some population problems involving Pleistocene man. Cold Spring Harbour Symposia on Quantitative Biology 22: 47–69.
- 1977 The recalibration of a paradigm for the first peopling of greater Australia. In Sunda and Sahul (Allen, J., Golson, J. & Jones, R, eds.), pp. 113–67. Sydney : Academic Press.
- 1991 Folsom mobility and organization of lithic technology: a view from Blackwater Draw, New Mexico. Plains Anthropologist 36: 281–95.
- 1991 Clovis origins. In op.cit (Bonnichsen, R & Turnmire, K.L, eds.), pp. 309–29. Corvallis : Oregon State University Press.
- 1987 Environmental change and developmental history of human adaptive patterns: the Palaeoindian case. In North America and Adjacent Oceans During the Last Deglaciation (Ruddiman, W. & Wright, H. E., eds.), pp. 403–24. Boulder : Geological Society of America. , &
- 1991 Clovis: Origins and Adaptations.. Corvallis : Oregon State University Press, Centre for the Study of the First Americans. & (editors)
- 1977 The coastal colonisation of Australia. In Sunda and Sahul (Allen, J., Golson, J. & Jones, R., eds.), pp. 205–46. Sydney : Academic Press.
- 1990a Peopling Australia: the ‘coastal colonisation’ hypothesis reexamined In op. cit (Mellars, PA, ed.), pp. 327–43. Edinburgh : Edinburgh University Press.
- 1990b 50,000 year-old site in Australia is it really that old. Australian Archaeology 31: 93.
- 1991 Some sort of dates at Malakunanja II: a reply to Roberts et aL. Australian Archaeology 32: 50–1.
- Bowdler, S. 1993 Sunda and Sahul: a 30kyr BP culture area? In op. cit et al, eds.), pp. 60–70.
- 1990 Continuity or Replacement: Controversies in Homo sapiens Evolution. Rotterdam : Balkema. & (editors)
- 1989 Macroecology: the division of food and space among species on continents. Science 243: 1145–50. &
- 1993 Recent human evolution in East Asia and Australasia. InThe Origin of Modern Humans and the Impact of Chronometric Dating (Aitken, M. J., Stringer, C. B. & Mellars, PA, eds.), pp. 217–33. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press.
- 1969 Early man in America and the late Pleistocene chronology of western Canada and Alaska. Current Anthropology 10:339–65.
- 1978 Early Man in America: from a Circum-Pacific Perspective. Edmonton: University of Alberta Department of Anthropology Occasional Papers No. 1.
- 1994a Estimating the duration of archaeological activity using 14C determinations. Oxford Journal of Archaeology 13: 229–40. , , &
- 1991 Combining archaeological and radiocarbon information: a Bayesian approach to calibration. Antiquity 65: 808–21. , , &
- 1994b Making the most of radiocarbon dating: some statistical considerations. Antiquity 68: 252–63. , &
- 1954 Bull Brook a fluted point site in Ipswich, Massachusetts. American Antiquity 19: 343–351.
- 1995 The first human settlement of Europe. Journal of Anthropological Research 51: 107–14. , , &
- 1988 Americans before Columbus: Ice-age Origins. Pittsburgh : University of Pittsburgh, Anthropology Department Ethnology Monograph No. 12. (editor)
- 1980 Earlier than You Think.. College Station : Texas A & M University Press.
- 1993 Demic expansions and human evolution. Science 259: 639–46. &
- 1993 Late Pleistocene coasts and human migrations in the Austral region. In A Community of Culture (Spriggs, M. et aL, eds.), pp. 43–8. Canberra : Australian National University, Department of Prehistory, Research School of Pacific Studies, Occasional Papers in Prehistory No. 21.
- 1996 Beyond the radiocarbon limit in Australian archaeology and Quaternary research. Antiquity 70: 543–52. , &
- 1994 Migration as an explanatory concept in Palaeolithic archaeology. Journal of Archaeological Method and Theory 1: 305–43.
- 1992b Why the first colonisation of the Australian region is the earliest evidence of modern human behaviour. Archaeology in Oceania 27: 135–142. &
- 1996 The earliest colonisation of Europe: the short chronology revisited. Antiquity 70: 535–40. &
- 1988a How new is the New World. Antiquity 62: 94–7.
- 1988b The Palaeoindian debate. Nature 332: 150–2.
- 1992 Earliest hunters and gatherers of South America. Journal of World Prehistory 6: 145–204. , , &
- 1988 Early cultural evidence from Monte Verde in Chile. Nature 332: 150–2. &
- 1992 Modelling the initial human colonisation of Australia: perfect adaptation, cultural variability and cultural change. Proceedings of the Australasian Society for Human Biology 5: 441–454. & &
- 1994 Luminescence dating of sediments: new light on the human colonisation of Australia. Australian Aboriginal Studies 2:2–17. &
- 1994a Beyond the radiocarbon barrier in Australian prehistory. Antiquity 68: 611–6. , &
- 1994b The human colonisation of Australia: optical dates of 53,000 and 60,000 years bracket human arrival at Deaf Adder Gorge, Northern Territory. Quaternary Science Reviews 13: 575–583. , , et al.
- 1994 Updating the earliest occupation of Europe. Current Anthropology 35: 301–5.
- 1994 The earliest occupation of Europe; a short chronology. Antiquity 68: 489–503. &
- 1996 Paleoindian cave dwellers in the Amazon: the peopling of the Americas. Science 272: 373–84. , , et al.
- 1975 Thirty thousand years and more. Hemisphere 19:26–31.
- 1986 Technological organisation and settlement mobility: an ethnographic examination. Journal of Anthropological Research 42: 15–51.
- 1989 Diversity, organisation and behaviour in the material record. Current Anthropology 30: 283–315.
- 1992 Radiocarbon dating as a probabilistic technique: the Childers site and late Woodland occupation in the Ohio valley. American Antiquity 57: 202–30.
- 1987 Pleistocene occupation in arid central Australia. Nature 328: 710–1.
- 1989 The case for a resident human population in the Central Australian Ranges during full glacial aridity. Archaeology in Oceania 24:93–105.
- 1993 Sahul in Review. Canberra : Australian National University, Department of Prehistory, Research School of Pacific Studies, Occasional Papers in Prehistory No. 24. , & (editors)
- 1991 Clovis origins and adaptations: an introductory perspective. In op. cit. (Bonnichsen, R. & Turnmire, K.L., eds.), pp. 1–13.
- 1994 The effects of stone technology on fluted-point morphometry. American Antiquity 59:498–510.
- 1990 Early Palaeoindian Economies of Eastern North America. Greenwich , CT : JAI Press, Research in Economic Anthropology Supplement No. 5. & (editors)
- Taylor, RE. 1991 Frameworks for dating the late Pleistocene peopling of the Americas. In op. cit. ( & eds.), pp. 77–111.
- 1996 Clovis and Folsom age estimates: stratigxaphic context and radiocarbon calibration. Antiquity 70:515–25. , &
- 1991 Seasonality studies and Palaeoindian subsistence strategies. In Human Predators and Prey Mortality (Stiner, M. C., ed), pp. 217–38. Boulder Westview Press.
- 1990 Seasonality of the Scottsbluff and Lipscomb bison bonebeds*. implications for modeling Paleoindian subsistence. American Antiquity 55: 813–27. , &
- 1994 On the use of radiometric determinations to ‘date’ archaeological events. Australian Aboriginal Studies 2:106–9.
- 1978 Procedures for comparing and combining radiocarbon age determinations: a critique. Archaeometry 20: 19–32. &
- n.d.a Megamarsupial extinction: the carrying capacity argument Antiquity (in press).
- ad.b Problems with radiometric ‘time’: dating the initial human colonisation of Sahul. Radiocarbon (in press).
- n.d. Problems with radiometric ‘time’: the initial human colonisation of Sahul was ‘instantaneous’. Journal of Archaeological Science (in press). &
- 1989 Faunal dynamics of Pleistocene mammals. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 17:413–38. &
- 1989 Diabetes, the ice-free corridor and the Paleoindian settlement of North America. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 79: 501–20.
- 1982 A Prehistory of Australia, New Guinea and Sahul.. Sydney : Academic Press. &
- 1986 Diet choice, risk and food sharing in a stochastic environment. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 5: 369–92.
- 1987 Synthesis: the land south of the ice sheet In North America and Adjacent Oceans During the Last Deglaciation (Ruddiman, W. & Wright, H. E., eds), pp. 479–88. Boulder : Geological Society of America.
- 1991 Environmental conditions for Palaeoindian immigration. In op cit. (Dillehay, T. D. & Meltzer, D. J., eds.), pp. 113–35.
- 1983 Observations on the Lower Palaeolithic of northeast Asia. Current Anthropology 24: 181–202. &
- 1985 On the Diuktai culture and New World origins. Current Anthropology 26: 1–20. &
- 1995 Simulating the global human expansion in the Late Pleistocene. Journal of Archaeological Science 22: 89–92. &