Identity and Social Action among South Indian Craft Producers of the Vijayanagara Period
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Archeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association
Special Issue: Craft and Social Identity
Volume 8, Issue 1, pages 161–172, January 1998
How to Cite
Sinopoli, C. M. (1998), Identity and Social Action among South Indian Craft Producers of the Vijayanagara Period. Archeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association, 8: 161–172. doi: 10.1525/ap3a.1922.214.171.124
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- ARSIE: Annual Report of South Indian Epigraphy 1887 1944/45. Madras : Government of India.
- TTDES: Tirumalai-Tirupati Devasthanam Epigraphical Series, six volumes. 19311938. Madras : Tirumalai Tirupati Devasthanams Press.
- 1974 Right and left hand castes in South India. The Indian Economic and Social History Review 11:216–260.
- 1978 Kings, sects and temples in South India, 1350–1700 AD. In South Indian Temples. B.Stein, ed. Pp. 48–73. New Delhi : Vikas.
- 1995 The Makers of the World: Caste, Craft and Mind of South Indian Artisans. New Delhi : Oxford University Press.
- 1807 A Journey from Madras through the countries of Mysore, Canara, and Malabar, 3 vols. London : Asiatic Society.
- 1971 India Economic Development in the 16,th-18th Centuries: Outline History of Crafts and Trade. Moscow : “Nauka” Publishing House.
- Devaraj, D. V. and C. S.Patil (eds.) 1991a Vijayanagara: Progress of Research, 1984–87. Mysore : Directorate of Archaeology and Museums.
- 1991b Vijayanagara: Progress of Research, 1987–88. Mysore : Directorate of Archaeology and Museums.
- 1987 The Hollow Crown: Ethnohistory of an Indian Kingdom. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1985 Where Kings and Gods Meet: The Royal Center at Vijayanagara. Tucson : University of Arizona Press. , , and
- prep Archaeological Inventory of the Royal Center of Vijayanagara, 2 vols. Mysore : Directorate of Archaeology and Museums. and in
- 1988 Selected Subaltern Studies. New York : Oxford University Press. and
- 1990 Imagining India. Oxford : Basil Blackwell.
- 1990 The Kanmalas of the 16th century in South Arcot District in South India. In Indian History and Epigraphy: Dr. G. S. Gai Felicitation Volume, K. V.Ramesh, S. P.Tewari, and M. J.Sharma, eds. Pp. 205–208. Delhi : Agam Kala Prakashan.
- 1992 Towards a New Formation: South Indian Society Under Vijayanagar Rule. New Delhi : Oxford University Press. Lycett, M. T..
- 1991 Chipped stone tools of the Vijayanagara Metropolitan Region. In Vijayanagara Progress of Research, 1987–88. D. V.Devaraj and C. S.Patil, eds. Pp. 85–94. Mysore : Department of Archaeology and Museums.
- 1995 The New Cambridge History of India 1:6: Architecture and Art of Southern India: Vijayanagara and the Successor States. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1975 Ancient Artists and Art Activity. Simla : Advanced Studies Institute.
- 1990 Patterns of urban occupation: Surface collections at Vijayanagara. In South Asian Archaeology 1987, M.Taddei, ed. Pp. 1111–1126. Rome : Istituto Italiano per il Medio ed Estremo Oriente.
- 1995 Fields of Victory: Vijayanagara and the course of Intensification. Contributions to the Archaeological Research Facility, No. 52. Berkeley : Archaeological Research Facility, University of California.
- 1994 Centralized power, centralized authority? Ideological claims and archaeological patterns. Asian Perspectives 32(2): 312–353. and
- Nagaraja Rao, M. S. (ed.) 1983 Vijayanagara: Progress of Research, 1979–83. Mysore : Directorate of Archaeology and Museums.
- 1985 Vijayanagara: Progress of Research, 1983–84. Mysore : Directorate of Archaeology and Museums.
- 1992 Metropolis Vijayanagara: Significance of Remains of Citadel. Delhi : Book India Publishing Co.
- 1992 Symbols of Substance: Court and State in Nayaka Period Tamil Nadu. New Delhi : Oxford University Press. , , and
- 1990 The artisan community during Hoysala times: An epigraphical study. In Indian History and Epigraphy: Dr. G. S. Gai Felicitation Volume, K. V.Ramesh, S. P.Tewari, and M. J.Sharma, eds. Pp. 49–52. Delhi : Agam Kala Prakashan. and
- 1979 Some enquiries into the condition of weavers in medieval south India. Indian Historical Review VI (1–2): 119–140.
- 1985a Artisans in Vijayanagar Society. Indian Economic and Social History Review 22: 417–444.
- 1985b The genesis and historical role of the master weavers in South Indian textile production. Journal of the Economic and Social History of the Orient 28: 294–325.
- 1985c Textiles and Weavers in Medieval South India. New Delhi : Oxford University Press.
- 1986 Material Patterning and Social Organization: A Study of Ceramics from Vijayanagara, South India. Ann Arbor : University Microfilms.
- 1988 The organization of craft production at Vijayanagara, South India. American Anthropologist 90(3): 580–597.
- 1994 The archaeology of empires. Annual Review of Anthropology 23:159–180.
- 1996 The archaeology of empire: A view from South Asia. Bulletin of the American School of Oriental Research No. 299/300: 3–11.
- 1991 The Vijayanagara Metropolitan Survey. The 1988 season. In Vijayanagara: Progress of Research, 1987–88, D. V.Devaraj and C. S.Patil, eds. Pp. 55–69. Mysore : Directorate of Archaeology and Museums. and
- 1992 Archaeological Survey at Vijayanagara. Research and Exploration 8(2): 237–239. and
- n.d. The Vijayanagara Metropolitan Survey, Vol. 1. Technical Report of the Museum of Anthropology. Ann Arbor : University of Michigan.
- 1990 Tiruvannamalai: A Saiva Sacred Complex of South India. Volumes 1.1 and 1.2: Inscriptions. Pondicherry . Institut Francais de Pondicherry. and
- 1960 Economic functions of a medieval south Indian temple. Journal of Asian Studies 19:163–176.
- 1970 Social mobility and medieval South Indian Hindu sects. In Social Mobility in the Caste System, J.Silverberg, ed. Pp. 78–94. The Hague : Mouton.
- 1989 Vijayanagara. Cambridge History of India. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1930 Report on the Inscriptions of the Devasthanam Collection, Part 1. SriT. T., etc. Devasthanam Epigraphical Series. Madras : Tiruputai Sri Mahant's Press.
- 1990a The Political Economy of Commerce: Southern India, 1500–1650. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1990b Rural industry and commercial agriculture in late Seventeenth century south-eastern India. Past and Present 126:76–114.
- 1985 The Study of South Indian inscriptions. In Studies of South India: An Anthology of Recent Research and Scholarship, R. E.Frykenberg and P.Kolenda, eds. Pp. 1–29. Madras : New Era Publications. , , and
- 1982 Europe and the People Without History. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1957 Oriental Despotism: A Comparative Study of Total Power. New Haven : Yale University Press.