Crafts, Chiefs, and Commoners: Production and Control in Precontact Hawai'i
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Archeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association
Special Issue: Craft and Social Identity
8, 1998 pages 19–30
How to Cite
Lass, B. (1998), Crafts, Chiefs, and Commoners: Production and Control in Precontact Hawai'i. Archeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association, 8: 19–30. doi: 10.1525/ap3a.19184.108.40.206
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- 1987 Craft Specialisation in the Prehistoric Channel Islands, California. Berkeley : University of California Publications in Anthropology 18.
- 1971 Kepelino's Traditions of Hawai'i. Honolulu : Bernice P. Bishop Museum Bulletin 95.
- 1899 Hawaiian Feather Work. Honolulu : Bishop Museum Memoir (1):1–81.
- 1903 Additional Notes on Hawaiian Feather Work. Honolulu: Bishop Museum Memoir 1(5):437–453.
- 1987 Elite and Utilitarian Crafts in the Aztec State. In Specialisation, Exchange, and Complex Societies. E.M.Brumfiel and T. K.Earle, eds. Pp. 102–118. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1987 Specialization, Exchange, and Complex Societies: *An Introduction. In Specialisation, Exchange, and Complex Societies. E. M.Brumfiel and T. K.Earle, eds. Pp. 1–9. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. and
- 1964 Arts and Crafts of Hawai'i. Honolulu : Bernice P. Bishop Museum Special Publication 45.
- 1826 Voyage of H.M.S. Blonde to the Sandwich Islands in the Years 1824–1825. London : John Murray.
- 1967 A Voyage Round the World from 1806 to 1812. Honolulu : University of Hawai'i Press.
- 1992 Statecraft and State Crafts: A Consideration of Mesoamerican Obsidian Industries. Paper presented at the Society for American Archaeology Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- 1990 Craft Specialization and Cultural Complexity. Research in Economic Anthropology 12:289–346. and
- 1982 The Mauna Kea Adze Quarry: Technological Analyses and Experimental Tests. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Hawai'i. Ann Arbor , Michigan : University Microfilms.
- 1986 Organizational Structure at the Mauna Kea Adze Quarry Complex, Hawai'i. Journal of Archaeological Science 13: 375–387.
- 1989 Stone Adzes: Hard Commodities for Interaction Studies n the Hawaiian Islands. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology, Atlanta, Georgia.
- 1991 Craft Specialization: Issues in Defining, Documenting, and Explaining the Organization of Production. In Archaeological Method and Theory, Volume 3 M. B.Schiffer, ed. Pp. 1–56. Tucson : University of Arizona Press.
- 1993 Textiles, Women, and Political Economy in Late Prehispanic Peru. Research in Economic Anthropology 14:3–28.
- 1988 Hawaiian Sculpture. Revised edition. Honolulu : University of Hawai'i Press. and
- 1977 A Reappraisal of Redistribution: Complex Hawaiian Chiefdoms. In Exchange Systems in Prehistory. T. K.Earle and J. E.Ericson, eds. Pp. 233–229. New York : Academic Press.
- 1978 Economic and Social Organisation of a Complex Chiefdom: The Halele'a District, Kauai'i, Hawai'i. Ann Arbor: Museum of Anthropology Anthropological Papers 63.
- 1987 Specialization and the Production of Wealth: Hawaiian Chiefdoms and the Inka Empire. In Specialisation, Exchange, and Complex Societies. E. M.Brumfiel and T. K.Earle, eds. Pp. 64–75. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1895 The Bird-Hunters of Ancient Hawai'i. Hawaiian Annual For 1895: 101–111. Honolulu : Thomas G. Thrum.
- 1968 East Polynesian Relationships as Revealed Through Adzes. In Prehistoric Culture in Oceania. I.Yawata and Y. H.Sinoto, eds. Pp. 151–169. Honolulu : Bishop Museum Press.
- 1978 Hawai'i in 1819: A Narrative Account by Louis Claude de Soulses de Freycinet. Honolulu: Pacific Anthropological Records 26.
- 1970 Ancient Polynesian Society. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1972 Native Planters in Old Hawai'i: Their Life, Lore, and Environment. Honolulu: Bernice P. Bishop Museum Bulletin 233. and
- 1976 The Formation of Primitive States in Pre-Contact Hawai'i. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Arizona. Ann Arbor , Michigan : University Microfilms.
- 1977 New Guinea Stone Age Trade Terra Australis 3. Canberra : Australian National University.
- 1987 The Evolution of Human Societies: From Foraging Group to Agrarian State. Palo Alto : Stanford University Press. and
- 1978 “Artificial Curiosities”: Being an Exposition of Native Manufactures Collected on the Three Pacific Voyages of Captain James Cook, R.N. Honolulu : Bernice P. Bishop Museum Special Publication 66.
- 1985 Hawaiian Art and Society: Traditions and Transformations. In Transformations of Polynesian Culture. A.Hooper and J.Huntsman, eds. Pp. 105–131. Auckland : Polynesian Society.
- 1961 Ruling Chiefs of Hawai'i. Honolulu : Kamehameha Schools Press.
- 1964 Ka Po'e Kahiko: The People of Old. Honolulu : Bernice P. Bishop Museum Special Publication 51.
- 1976 The Works of the People of Old. Honolulu : Bernice P. Bishop Museum Special Publication 61.
- 1972 Five Triangular Adzes from Haiku, Maui, Hawaiian Islands. New Zealand Archaeological Association Newsletter 15:140–143.
- 1985 Feathered Gods and Fishhooks: An Introduction to Hawaiian Archaeology and Prehistory. Honolulu : University of Hawai'i Press.
- 1994 Hawaiian Adze Production and Distribution: Implications for the Development of Chiefdoms. University of California, Los Angeles : Institute of Archaeology Monograph 37.
- 1981 Technological Changes in the Development of Polynesian Adzes. In Archaeological Studies of Pacific Stone Resources, F.Leach and J.Davidson, eds. Pp. 167–182. Oxford : BAR International Series 104.
- 1988 Who Made the Feather Cloaks? A Problem in Hawaiian Gender Relations. Journal of the Polynesian Society 97: 265–280.
- 1951 Hawaiian Antiquities. Honolulu : Bernice P. Bishop Museum Special Publication 2.
- 1981 Stones for the Gods: Ritualism in the Mauna Kea Adze Quarry Industry, Hawai'i. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology, San Diego, California.
- 1990 Subsistence in a Non-Subsistence Environment: Factors of Production in a Hawaiian Alpine Desert Adze Quarry. In Pacific Production Systems: Approaches to Economic Prehistory, D. E.Yen and J. M. J.Mummery, eds. Pp. 85–119. Canberra : Australian National University.
- 1977 Alpine Archaeology in Hawai'i. Archaeology 30:234–243. and
- 1920 Hawai'i Nei 128 Years Ago. Honolulu : New Freedom Press.
- 1939 The Canoe Making Profession of Ancient Times. Honolulu: Hawaiian Historical Society Papers 20.
- 1992 New Pocket Hawaiian Dictionary. Honolulu : University of Hawai'i Press. and
- 1958 Social Stratification in Polynesia. Seattle : University of Washington Press.
- 1988 The Organization of Craft Production at Vijayanagara, South India. American Anthropologist 90:580–597.
- 1970 Journal of a Residence in the Sandwich Islands. Honolulu : University of Hawai'i Press.
- 1969 Stone Axes and Flake Tools: Evaluations from Two New Guinea Highlands Societies. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society 35:311–327.
- 1969 Stone and Steel Tool Use in a New Guinea Society. Ethnology 8:199–205.
- 1980 Prehistoric Agriculture in Kohala, Hawai'i. Journal of Field Archaeology 7:297–312. and
- 1990 A Technological, Petrographic, and Geochemical Analysis of the Kapohaku Adze Quarry, Lana'i, Hawaiian Islands. New Zealand Journal of Archaeology 12:29–50.
- 1978 Acquirers, Users, Finders, Losers: The Use Axe Blades Make of the Duna. Mankind 11:276–287. and
- 1977 Group Definitions and Mental Templates: An Ethnographic Experiment. In Stone Tools as Cultural Markers. R. V. S.Wright, ed. Pp. 380–390. Canberra : Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies. , , and
- 1990 Prehistoric Distribution of Stone Adzes on Hawai'i Island: Implications for the Development of Hawaiian Chiefdoms. Asian Perspectives 29(2):235–250.