Crafting Cultural Identity in Hunter-Gatherer Economies
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Archeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association
Special Issue: Craft and Social Identity
8, 1998 pages 93–107
How to Cite
Sassaman, K. E. (1998), Crafting Cultural Identity in Hunter-Gatherer Economies. Archeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association, 8: 93–107. doi: 10.1525/ap3a.19126.96.36.199
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- 1993 Prehistoric Archaeological Investigations. In The History and Archaeology of Kiawah Island, Charleston, South Carolina. M. B.Trinkley, ed. Pp. 151–171. Research Series 30. Columbia : Chicora Foundation. , and
- 1995 The Reconstruction of “Tradition” and the Defense of the Colonial Order: British West Africa in the Early Twentieth Century. In Articulating Hidden Histories: Exploring the Influence of Eric R. Wolf. J.Schneider and R.Rapp, eds. Pp. 291–307. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1975 Inferences from Distributional Studies of Prehistoric Artifacts in the Coastal Plain of South Carolina. Southeastern Archaeological Conference Bulletin 18:180–194.
- 1978 A Single Gene Explanation of Right- and Left-Handedness and Brainedness. Coventry : Lanchester Polytechnic.
- 1985 Ceramic Theory and Cultural Process. New York : Cambridge University Press.
- 1982 Handedness: An Alternative Hypothesis. Behavior Genetics 12:125–147.
- 1994 Banded Slate Notched Bannerstones in Ohio. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology, Anaheim.
- 1980 Biological and Sociocultural Effects on Handedness: Comparison Between Biological and Adoptive Families. Science 209:1263–1265.
- 1928 The Inheritance of Left-Handedness. Journal of Heredity 19:557–559.
- 1996 A Consideration of the Social Organization of the Shell Mound Archaic. In Archaeology of the Mid-Holocene Southeast. K. E.Sassaman and D. G.Anderson, eds. Pp. 235–258. Gainesville : University Press of Florida.
- 1931 The Stalling's Island Mound, Columbia County, Georgia. Peabody Museum of American Archaeology and Ethnology Papers 14(1). Cambridge : Harvard University.
- 1977 Fifty Centuries of Right-Handedness: The Historical Record. Science 198:631–632. , and
- 1990 Mechanics of Pre-Industrial Technology. New York : Cambridge University Press. , and
- 1965 The Dynamics of Social Change in Arikara Ceramics. Anthropology 4. Urbana : University of Illinois.
- 1984 Prehistoric Herders and Foragers of the Kalahari: The Evidence for 1500 Years of Interaction. In Past and Present in Hunter-Gatherer Studies. C.Schrire, ed. Pp. 175–194. Orlando : Academic Press.
- 1978 Style and Function: A Fundamental Dichotomy. American Antiquity 43:192–202.
- 1882 A Find of Ceremonial Axes in a Florida Mound. American Antiquarian and Oriental Journal 4:100–109.
- 1981 Archaeological and Historical Geography of the Savannah River Floodplain near Augusta, Georgia. Laboratory of Archaeology Series Report 22. Athens : University of Georgia. , and
- 1994 Data Recovery at Lovers Lane, Phinizy Swamp, and the Old Dike Sites, Bobby Jones Expressway Extension Corridor, Augusta, Georgia. Occasional Papers in Cultural Resource Management 7. Atlanta : Office of Environment/Location, Georgia Department of Transportation. , , and
- 1942 The Taxonomic Position of Stalling's Island, Georgia. American Antiquity 7:223–231.
- 1984 The Constitution of Society: Outline of the Theory of Structuration. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1952 Space and Time Perspective in Northern St. Johns Archaeology, Florida. Yale University Publications in Anthropology 47. New Haven : Yale University Press.
- 1984 The !Kung in the Kalahari Exchange: An Ethnohistorical Perspective. In Past and Present in Hunter-Gatherer Studies. C.Schrire, ed. Pp. 195–224. Orlando : Academic Press.
- 1995 Houses in the Rainforest: Ethnicity and Inequality among Farmers and Foragers in Central Africa. Ann Arbor . University of Michigan Press.
- 1993 Craft and the Kingly Ideal. Austin : University of Texas Press.
- 1970 Broken K Pueblo. Anthropological Papers 18. Tucson : University of Arizona.
- 1995 The Foraging Spectrum: Diversity in Hunter-Gatherer Lifeways. Washington D.C. : Smithsonian Institution Press.
- 1996 Cultural Diversity among African Foragers: Causes and Implications. In Cultural Diversity among Twentieth-Century Foragers: An African Perspective. S.Kent, ed. Pp. 1–18. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1939 Banner-stones of North American Indians. Published privately by the author. LaGrange , IL .
- 1981 Bannerstones as Chronological Markers in the Southeastern United States. Tennessee Anthropologist 6(2): 144–171.
- 1995 Archaeological Investigations at Mill Branch Sites 9WR4 and 9WR11, Warren County, Georgia. Technical Report 3. Atlanta : Interagency Archeological Services Division, National Park Service.
- Lee, R. B., and I.DeVore (eds.) 1968 Man the Hunter. Chicago : Aldine.
- 1972 A Model for the Genetics of Handedness. Genetics 72:117–128. , and
- 1964 Archaeology as Anthropology: A Case Study. Science 144:1454–1455.
- 1985 Complexity and Scale in the Study of Fisher-Gatherer-Hunters: An Example from the Eastern United States. In Prehistoric Hunter-Gatherers: The Emergence of Cultural Complexity. T.D.Price and J.A.Brown, eds. Pp. 59–98. Orlando : Academic Press.
- 1949 The Lake Spring Site, Columbia County, Georgia. American Antiquity 15:254–258.
- 1894 Certain Sand Mounds of the St. Johns River, Florida, Parts I and II. Philadelphia Academy of Sciences Journal 10:88–89, 167–173.
- 1977 Embryology and Inheritance of Asymmetry. In Lateralization in the Nervous System. S.Harnad et al., eds. New York : Academic Press.
- 1978 On the Biological Basis of Human Laterality: II The Mechanisms of Inheritance. The Behavioral and Brain Sciences 1:270–277. , and
- 1994 The Tomoka Mound Complex in Northeast Florida. Southeastern Archaeology 13:109–118.
- 1986 Environmental Factors in Hand Preference Formation: Evidence from Attempts to Switch the Preferred Hand. Behavior Genetics 16:251–261. , , and
- 193031 Social Organization of Australian Tribes. Oceania 1:34–63, 206–246, 322–341, 426–456.
- 1972 Stone Age Economics. Chicago : Aldine.
- 1993 Early Pottery in the Southeast: Tradition and Innovation in Cooking Technology. Tuscaloosa : University of Alabama Press.
- 1995 The Cultural Diversity of Interactions among Mid-Holocene Societies of the American Southeast. In Native American Interactions: Multiscalar Approaches and Interpretations in The Eastern Woodlands.. M. S.Nassaney and K. E.Sassaman, eds. Pp. 174–204. Knoxville : University of Tennessee Press.
- 1996a Left-Handed Potters, Unilineal Descent, and the Social Power of Gender. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Southeastern Archaeological Conference, Birmingham.
- 1996b Technological Innovations in Economic and Social Contexts. In Archaeology of the Mid-Holocene Southeast. K. E.Sassaman and D. G.Anderson, eds. Pp. 57–74. Gainesville : University Press of Florida.
- 1995 Handedness of Stallings Potters and its Implications for Social Organization. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Southeastern Archaeological Conference, Knoxville. , and
- 1980 An Inquiry into the Evolutionary Status and Apparent Identity of San Hunter-Gatherers. Human Ecology 8:9–32.
- 1984 Wild Surmises on Savage Thoughts. In Past and Present in Hunter-Gatherer Studies. C.Schrire, ed. Pp. 195–222. Orlando : Academic Press.
- 1962 Primitive Social Organization. New York : Random House.
- 1996 Neither are Your Ways My Ways. In Cultural Diversity among Twentieth-Century Foragers: An African Perspective.. S.Kent, ed. Pp. 21–64. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1995 The Clay Cooking Pot: An Exploration of Women's Technology. In Expanding Archaeology. J. M.Skibo, W. W.Walker, and A. E.Nielsen, eds. Pp. 80–91. Salt Lake City : University of Utah Press. , and
- 1978 If Pots Were Mortal. In Explorations in Ethnoarchaeology. R. A.Gould, ed. Pp. 201–228. Albuquerque : University of New Mexico Press.
- 1936 The Economic and Social Basis of Primitive Bands. In Essays in Anthropology Presented to Alfred Louis Kroeber. R. H.Lowie, ed. Pp. 331–350. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1974 Groton Plantation: An Archaeological Study of a South Carolina Locality. Monographs of the Peabody Museum 1. Cambridge : Harvard University.
- 1987 Left-Handedness in Twin Families: Support of an Environmental Hypothesis. Perceptual and Motor Skills 64:155–170. , , and
- 1995 Kuna Crafts, Gender, and the Global Economy. Austin : University of Texas Press.
- 1968 Fiber-Tempered Pottery and Its Cultural Affiliations on the Georgia-Carolina Coast (originally 1952). In The Waring Papers: The Collected Works of Antonio J.Waring, Jr. S.Williams, ed. Pp. 253–255. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology 58. Cambridge : Harvard University. ,
- 1968 The Shell Ring on Sapelo Island (originally 1955–1960). In The Waring Papers: The Collected Works of Antonio J.Waring, Jr. S.Williams, ed. Pp. 263–278. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology 58. Cambridge : Harvard University. , and
- 1957 The Development of the Spearthrower. Department of Anthropology Occasional Papers in Anthropology 2. Lexington : University of Kentucky.
- 1942 An Archaeological Survey of the Pickwick Basin. Bureau of American Ethnolog Bulletin 129. Washington D.C. : Smithsonian Institution. , and
- 1948 The Perry Site Lu25. Alabama Museum of Natural History Paper 25. Tuscaloosa : University of Alabama. , and
- 1982 Risk, Reciprocity, and Social Influences on lKung San Economies. In Politics and History in Band Societies. E. B.Leacock and R. B.Lee, eds. Pp. 61–84. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- Hunter-Gatherer Economies 1989 Style and the Changing Relations between the Individual and Society. In The Meaning of Things: Material Culture and Stylistic Expression. I.Hodder, ed. Pp. 56–63. London : Unwin-Hyman.
- 1983 The Ecology of Illusion: Anthropological Foraging in the Kalahari. Reviews in Anthropology 10: 9–20.
- 1989 Land Filled with Flies: A Political Economy of the Kalahari. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1995 Who Were the Bushman? Historical Process in the Creation of an Ethnic Construct. In Articulating Hidden Histories: Exploring the Influence of Eric R. Wolf. J.Schneider and R.Rapp, eds. Pp. 308–321. Berkeley : University of California Press. Wolf, E. R..
- 1982 Europe and the People without History. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1990 Distinguished Lecture: Facing Power. American Anthropologist 92:586–596.
- 1986 Prehistory of the Richard B. Russell Reservoir: The Archaic and Woodland Periods of the Upper Savannah River. Russell Papers 1986. Atlanta : Interagency Archeological Services Division, National Park Service. , , , and
- 1988 African Hunter-Gatherer Social Organization: Is it Best Understood as a Product of Encapsulation? In Hunters and Gatherers: Volume J, History, Evolution and Social Change. T.Ingold, D.Riches, and J.Woodburn, eds. Pp. 31–64. New York : Berg.