The Political Economy of Rent-Seeking in a Chinese Factory Town
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Anthropology of Work Review
Volume 14, Issue 2-3, pages 15–19, June/September 1993
How to Cite
Smart, A. (1993), The Political Economy of Rent-Seeking in a Chinese Factory Town. Anthropology of Work Review, 14: 15–19. doi: 10.1525/awr.1993.14.2-3.15
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- 1990. The Making of a Rentier Class: Wealth Accumulation and Political Control in Senegal. Journal of Development Studies 26(3):425–449.
- 1977. Outline of a Theory of Practice. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1986. The Forms of Capital. In Handbook of Theory and Research for the Sociology of Education. RichardsonEd. Pp. 241–258. New York : Greenwood Press.
- 1980. Rent seeking and profit seeking. In Toward a Theory of the Rent-seeking Society. J.M.Buchanan et al. eds. Pp. 3–15. College Station : Texas A & M University Press.
- 1990. Beyond the Marketplace. In Beyond the Marketplace: Rethinking Economy and Society. R.Friedland and A. F.Robertson eds. Pp. 3–49. New York : Aldine de Cruyter. and .
- 1992. Nonresident-Indian Investment and India's Drive for Industrial Modernization. In Anthropology and the Global Factory. F.Rothstein and M.Blim eds. Pp. 62–82. New York : Bergin & Carvey.
- 1988. Neither Friends nor Strangers: Informal Networks of Subcontracting in French Industry. In Trust. DiegoGambetta ed. Pp. 194–210. New York : Basil Blackwell.
- 1990. Institutions and a Transaction-cost Theory of Exchange. In Perspectives on Positive Political Economy. J.Alt and K.Shepsle eds. Pp. 182–194. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- Gifts, Bribes and Guanxi: A Reconsideration of Bourdieu's Social Capital. Cultural Anthropology. . in press.
- 1991. Personal Relations and Divergent Economies: A Case Study of Hong Kong Investment in China. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 15(2):216–233. and .
- 1992. Capitalist Production in a Socialist Society: The Transfer of Manufacturing From Hong Kong to China. In Anthropology and the Global Factory. F, Rothstein and M.Blim eds. Pp. 47–61. New York : Bergin and Garvey. and .
- 1991. China's Transients and the State. Hong Kong : Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies.
- 1987. Is the Theory of Rent-seeking Here to Stay? In Democracy and Public Choice. C.Rowley ed. Pp. 143–157. Oxford : Basil Blackwell.
- 1980. Rent-seeking as a Negative-sum Game. In Toward a Theory of the Rent-seeking Society. J.M.Buchanan et al. eds. Pp. 16–36. College Station : Texas A & M University Press.
- 1989. The Gift Economy and State Power in China. Comparative Studies in Society and History 31:25–54.