The Ethnographer's Textual Presence: On Three Forms of Anthropological Authorship
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1995 American Anthropological Association
Volume 10, Issue 3, pages 395–406, August 1995
Total views since August 2010: 2
How to Cite
Hazan, H. (1995), The Ethnographer's Textual Presence: On Three Forms of Anthropological Authorship. Cultural Anthropology, 10: 395–406. doi: 10.1525/can.1995.10.3.02a00050
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1980 Reflexivity: Definition and Discrimination. Semiotica 30(1–2): 1–14.
- 1988 Engendering Knowledge: The Politics of Ethnography. Anthropology Today 4(6):14–17.
- 1983 On Ethnographic Authority. Representations 1(spring):118–146.
- 1986 On Ethnographic Allegory. In Writing Culture: The Poetics and Politics of Ethnography. JamesClifford and GeorgeMarcus, eds. Pp. 98–121. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1986 On Ethnographic Allegory. In Writing Culture: The Poetics and Politics of Ethnography. JamesClifford and GeorgeMarcus, eds. 1988 The Predicament of Culture. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Clifford, James, and GeorgeMarcus, eds. 1986 Writing Culture: The Poetics and Politics of Ethnography. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1983 Time and the Other: How Anthropology Makes Its Object. New York: Columbia University Press.
- 1985 Exploded Worlds: Text as a Metaphor for Ethnography (and Vice Versa). Dialectical Anthropology 10(1–2):15–26.
- Fiske, Donald, and RichardShweder, eds. 1986 Metatheory in Social Sciences: Pluralisms and Subjectivities. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1984 Will You Still Need Me, Will You Still Feed Me When I Am 84? Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- 1979 From the Native's Point of View: On the Nature of Anthropological Understanding. In Interpretive Social Science: A Reader. PaulRabinow and William M.Sullivan, eds. Pp. 225–241. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1979 From the Native's Point of View: On the Nature of Anthropological Understanding. In Interpretive Social Science: A Reader. PaulRabinow and William M.Sullivan, eds. 1988 Works and Lives: The Anthropologist as Author. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- 1986 Oldtimers and Alzheimers: The Descriptive Organization of Senility. Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.
- 1977 Work and Play Among the Aged. Amsterdam: Van-Gorcum.
- 1977 The Structure of Tacit Knowledge. Journal of the British Society of Phenomenology 8(2):172–177.
- 1980 The Limbo People: A Study of the Constitution of the Time Universe among the Aged. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- 1990 A Paradoxical Community. Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.
- 1990 Déja Entendu: The Liminal Qualities of Anthropological Fieldnotes. Journal of Contemporary Ethnography 19(1):8–43.
- 1975 Epistle to the Anthropologists. American Anthropologist 77(2):253–266.
- 1986 The Ageless Self: Sources of Meaning in Later Life. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.
- 1987 ‘Then What Have I To Do with Thee?’: On Identity, Fieldwork, and Ethnographic Knowledge. Cultural Anthropology 2(2):211–234.
- 1985 Symbolic Dimensions in Cultural Anthropology. Current Anthropology 26(2):167–186.
- 1983 Ethnographies as Texts. Annual Review of Anthropology 11(2):25–69. , and
- 1971 The Dialectics of Social Life. New York: Basic Books.
- 1978 Number Our Days. New York: E.P. Dutton.
- 1988 The Peripheral Situation. Annual Review of Anthropology 17(2):79–98.
- 1979 Epistemological Implications of Fieldwork and Their Implications. American Anthropologist 81(1):46–59.
- 1990 Fieldnotes: The Makings of Anthropology. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- 1984 Anthropology's Romantic Rebellion against the Enlightenment, or There is More to Thinking than Reason and Evidence. In Culture Theory: Essays on Mind, Self and Emotion. Richard A.Shweder and Robert A.LeVine, eds. Pp. 27–66. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1986 Storytelling among the Anthropologists. New York Times Review of Books, September 20:1.
- 1979 Introduction. In Life's Career-Aging. BarbaraMyerhoff and AndréSimic, eds. Pp. 9–22. Beverly Hills: Sage.
- 1987 Out of Context: The Persuasive Fictions of Ethnography. Current Anthropology 28(3):252–281.
- 1988 The Rhetoric of Ethnographic Holism. Cultural Anthropology 3(3):285–303.
- 1987 The Unspeakable: Discourse, Dialogue, and Rhetoric in the Postmodern World. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.
- vanMaanen, J., P.Adler, and R.Adler, eds. 1990 Theme Issue: Ethnographic Research Writing. Journal for Contemporary Ethnography 19(1).