The Power of Culture: Notes on Some Aspects of Gay and Lesbian Kinship in America Today
Article first published online: 7 JAN 2008
Volume 12, Issue 2, pages 270–274, May 1997
Total views since August 2010: 4
How to Cite
Schneider, D. M. (1997), The Power of Culture: Notes on Some Aspects of Gay and Lesbian Kinship in America Today. Cultural Anthropology, 12: 270–274. doi: 10.1525/can.19126.96.36.1990
- Issue published online: 7 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 7 JAN 2008
- 1993 Making Representations: Parliamentary Debate of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act. In Technologies of Procreation: Kinship in the Age of Assisted Conception. JeanetteEdwards, SarahFranklin, EricHirsch, FrancesPrice, and MarilynStrathern, eds. Pp. 96–132. Manchester , England : Manchester University Press.
- 1992 Making Kinship Trouble: Lesbian Motherhood and the Dynamics of Choice in “the American Family”. Distinguished majors thesis, Departments of Anthropology and Women's Studies, University of Virginia.
- 1995 Gender, Genetics and Generation: Reformulating Biology in Lesbian Kinship. Cultural Anthropology 10:41–61.
- 1995 Of Children, Challenge and Choice: Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Parents Transforming the Symbols of American Kinship. B.A. thesis, Department of Anthropology, Princeton University.
- Lewin, Ellen, ed. 1993 Lesbian Mothers. Ithaca , NY : Cornell University Press.
- Lewin, Ellen, ed. 1996 Why in the World Would You Want To Do That?” Claiming Community in Lesbian Commitment Communities. In Inventing Lesbian Cultures in America. Pp. 105–130. Boston : Beacon Press.
- 1994 Surrogate Motherhood: Conception in the Heart. Boulder , CO : Westview Press.
- 1980 American Kinship. 2nd edition. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1992 Reproducing the Future: Anthropology, Kinship and the New Reproductive Technologies. Manchester , England : Manchester University Press.
- 1991 Families We Choose. New York : Columbia University Press.
- 1995 Gay Kinship as the Genuine Article. In Naturalizing Power, S.Yanigasako and C.Delaney, eds. Pp. 87–110. New York : Routledge.