"I Know All about Emma Lazarus": Nationalism and Its Contradictions in Congressional Rhetoric of Immigration Restriction
Article first published online: 7 JAN 2008
Volume 13, Issue 1, pages 82–99, February 1998
Total views since August 2010: 3
How to Cite
Schneider, D. (1998), "I Know All about Emma Lazarus": Nationalism and Its Contradictions in Congressional Rhetoric of Immigration Restriction. Cultural Anthropology, 13: 82–99. doi: 10.1525/can.19126.96.36.199
- Issue published online: 7 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 7 JAN 2008
- 1994 Blue Dreams: Koreans and the Los Angeles Riots. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press. , and
- 1994 Patriotism and Its Futures. Public Culture 7:411–429.
- 1974 Citizenship and the Multinational Corporation. Social Research 41:654–665.
- 1992 The Retreat of Scientific Racism. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1994 Nations Unbound: Transnational Projects, Postcolonial Predicaments and Deterritorialized Nation-States. Basel , Switzerland : Gordon and Breach. , , and
- 1994 How Many Americans? Immigration and the Environment. San Francisco : Sierra Club Books. , and
- 1991 ‘Illegal Aliens’ and ‘Opportunity’: Myth Making in Congressional Testimony. American Ethnologist 18:479–494.
- 1995 Ambiguity in Policy Discourse: Congressional Talk about Immigration. Policy Sciences 28:165–184.
- 1996 No New Women: Gender, Alien, and Citizen in Congressional Debate on Immigration. Political and Legal Anthropology Review 19:1–9.
- Congressional Record 1994 103rd Cong., 2d sess. Vol. 140.
- Congressional Record 1996 104th Cong., 2d sess. Vol. 142.
- 1970 Purity and Danger: An Analysis of Concepts of Pollution and Taboo. Harmondsworth , England : Penguin Press.
- 1997 Sigh of Relief over Return of Immigrants' SSI. San Francisco Chronicle, June 27:A3.
- 1984 Nationalism and the Politics of Culture in Quebec. Madison : University of Wisconsin Press.
- 1955 Strangers in the Land: Patterns of American Nativism, 1860--1925. New Brunswick, NJ : Rutgers University Press.
- 1992 Caribbean New York: Black Immigrants and the Politics of Race. Ithaca , NY : Cornell University Press.
- 1995 The Local and the Global: the Anthropology of Globalization and Transnationalism. Annual Review of Anthropology 4:547–565.
- 1913 Commercialized Prostitution in New York City. New York : The Century Company.
- 1994 Silent Travelers: Germs, Genes and the Immigrant Menace. New York : Basic Books.
- 1997 Immigrants Wary of SSI Plan. Los Angeles Times, June 27:B1.
- 1997 House and Senate Pass Legislation to Balance Budget. New York Times, June 26:D27.
- 1986 Cheap Amusements: Working Women and Leisure in New York City, 1880--1920. Philadelphia : Temple University Press.
- 1982 The Lost Sisterhood. Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 1995 Thinking Through Transnationalism: Notes on the Cultural Politics of Class Relations in the Contemporary United States. Public Culture 7:353–402.
- 1992 The Global City: New York, London, Tokyo. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press.
- 1971 The Indispensable Enemy: Labor and the Anti-Chinese Movement in California. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1997 U.S. Study Panel Recommends Plan to Break Up INS. New York Times, August 7:5.
- 1956 Ancestors and Immigrants. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.
- 1968 Race Culture and Evolution: Essays in the History of Anthropology. New York : The Free Press.
- 1992 Anthropology as Kulturkampf. In The Ethnographer's Magic. George W.Stocking, ed. Pp. 104–110. Madison : University of Wisconsin Press.
- 1997 Thoughts in Immigration, Citizenship and Welfare Reform. World on the Move 3(2):2–3.
- United States Bureau of the Census 1976 Historical Statistics of the United States. Washington , D.C : Government Printing Office.
- United States Bureau of the Census 1994 Statistical Abstract of the United States. Washington , D.C : Government Printing Office.
- United States Immigration Commission 1909 Importing Women for Immoral Purposes. Report. Washington , D.C : Government Printing Office.
- United States Immigration Commission 1911a Fecundity of Immigrant Women. Report. Washington , D.C : Government Printing Office.
- United States Immigration Commission 1911b Immigrants in Cities. Report. Washington , D.C : Government Printing Office.
- United States Immigration Commission 1911c Immigration and Crime. Report. Washington , D.C : Government Printing Office.
- United States Immigration and Naturalization Service 1996 1994 Yearbook. Washington , D.C : Government Printing Office.
- 1982 Pluralism, A Political Perspective. In Harvard Encyclopedia of American Ethnic Groups. StephanThernstrom, ed. Pp. 781–787. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.