Memory Work: Reconstituting the Ethnic in Post-Mao China
Article first published online: 8 JAN 2008
Volume 13, Issue 2, pages 224–255, May 1998
Total views since August 2010: 9
How to Cite
Litzinger, R. A. (1998), Memory Work: Reconstituting the Ethnic in Post-Mao China. Cultural Anthropology, 13: 224–255. doi: 10.1525/can.1922.214.171.124
- Issue published online: 8 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 8 JAN 2008
- 1992 Socialist Ethics and the Legal System. In Popular Protest and Political Culture in Modern China: Learning from 1989. Jeffrey N.Wasserstrom and Elizabeth J.Perry eds. Pp. 177–205. Boulder , CO : Westview Press.
- 1993a Cultural Nationalism and Chinese Modernity. In Cultural Nationalism in East Asia: Representation and Identity. HarumiBefu ed. Pp. 61–73. Berkeley : Institute of East Asian Studies, University of California.
- 1993b The Nationscape: Movement in the Field of Vision. Positions: East Asia Cultures Critique 1(3):585–606.
- 1994 The Politics of Ritual Displacement. In Asian Visions of Authority: Religion and the Modern States of East and Southeast Asia. Charles F.Keyes, LaurelKendall, and HelenHardacre eds. Pp. 221–254. Honolulu : University of Hawaii.
- 1991 Imagined Communities. London : Verso.
- 1993 Genealogies of Religion: Discipline and Reasons of Power in Christianity and Islam. Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 1991 Zhishifenzi (Chinese Intellectuals) and Power. Dialectical Anthropology 16(3–4):209–232.
- 1977 The Photographic Message. Image-Music-Text. StephenHeath, trans. Glasgow , Scotland : Fontana.
- 1969 Theses in the Philosophy of History. In Illuminations. Introduction by HannahArendt ed. Harry Zohn, trans. Pp. 253–264. New York : Schoken Books.
- 1982 All That Is Solid Melts into Air. New York : Penguin Books.
- 1991 Deathsong of the River: A Reader's Guide to the Chinese TV Series Heshang. Ithaca , NY : Cornell East Asia Series. , and
- Boyarin, Jonathan, ed. 1994 Remapping Memory: The Politics of Timespace. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press.
- Brown, Melissa J., ed. 1996 Negotiating Ethnicities in China and Taiwan. Berkeley : China Research Monograph, Institute of East Asian Studies, University of California.
- 1993 Bodies That Matter: On the Discursive Limits of “Sex.” New York and London : Routledge.
- 1984 Chen Village: The Recent History of a Peasant Community in Mao's China. University of California Press. , , and
- 1996 Hegemony, Agency, and Re-presenting the Past: The Invention of Dongba Culture among the Naxi of Southwest China. In Negotiating Ethnicities in China and Taiwan. MelissaBrown ed. Pp. 208–239. Berkeley : China Research Monograph, Institute of East Asian Studies, University of California.
- 1993 The Nation and Its Fragments: Colonial and Postcolonial Histories. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press.
- Chicago Cultural Studies Group 1992 Critical Multiculturalism. Critical Inquiry 18(3):530–555.
- 1991 Pedagogy, Trust, Chinese Intellectuals in the 1990s—Fragments of a Post-Catastrophic Discourse. Dialectical Anthropology 16(3–4):191–208.
- 1987 Ethnic Minorities in Chinese Films: Cinema and the Exotic. The East-West Film Journal 1(2):15–32.
- 1997 Spatial Practices: Fieldwork, Travel, and the Disciplining of Anthropology. In Anthropological Locations: Boundaries and Grounds of a Field Science. AkhilGupta and JamesFerguson eds. Pp. 185–222. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1996 Ethnicity, Nationalism, and the Politics of Difference in an Age of Revolution. In The Politics of Difference: Ethnic Premises in a World of Power. Edwin N.Wilmsen and PatrickMcAllister eds. Pp. 162–184. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1993 Modernity and Its Malcontents: Ritual and Power in Postcolonial Africa. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. , and
- 1984 The National Question in Marxist-Leninist Theory and Strategy. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press.
- 1993 The Invention of Invention. Cultural Critique (Spring):119–142.
- 1982 Spiritual Solutions to Material Problems: The “Socialist Ethics and Courtesy Month” in China. The South Atlantic Quarterly 81(4):359–375.
- 1989 Postsocialism? Reflections on “Socialism with Chinese Characteristics.” In Marxism and the Chinese Experience: Issues in Contemporary Chinese Socialism. ArifDirlik and MauriceMeisner eds. Pp. 362–384. Armonk , NY : M. E. Sharpe.
- 1995 Confucius in the Borderlands: Global Capitalism and the Reinvention of Confucianism. Boundary 222(3):229–274.
- 1996 Chinese History and the Question of Orientalism. History and Theory 35:96–118.
- 1991 Knowledge and Power in the Discourse of Modernity: The Campaigns against Popular Religion in the Early Twentieth Century. Journal of Asian Studies 50(l):67–83.
- 1994 Bifurcating Linear History: Nation and Histories in China and India. Positions: East Asia Cultures Critique 1(3):779–804.
- 1983 Time and the Other: How Anthropology Makes Its Object. New York : Columbia University Press.
- 1991 Muslim Chinese: Ethnic Nationalism in the People's Republic. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.
- 1994 Representing Nationality in China: Refiguring Majority/Minority Identities. Journal of Asian Studies 53(1):92–123.
- 1995 Tian Zhuangzhuang, the Fifth Generation, and Minorities Film in China. Public Culture 8(1):161–170.
- 1995 In the Soviet House of Culture: A Century of Perestroikas. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press.
- 1994 The Saga of Anthropology in China: From Malinowski to Moscow to Mao. New York : M. E. Sharpe.
- 1995 Blurred Boundaries: The Discourse of Corruption, the Culture of Politics, and the Imagined State. American Ethnologist 22:375–402.
- 1995a Civilizing Projects and the Reactions to Them. In Cultural Encounters on China's Ethnic Frontiers. StevanHarrell ed. Pp. 3–36. Seattle : University of Washington Press.
- 1995b The History of the History of the Yi. In Cultural Encounters on China's Ethnic Frontiers. StevanHarrell ed. Pp. 63–91. Seattle : University of Washington Press.
- 1994 Recounting the Dead: The Rediscovery and Redefinition of Wartime Massacres in Late- and Post-Communist Yugoslavia. In Memory, History, and Opposition under State Socialism. Rubie S.Watson ed. Pp. 167–184. Santa Fe , NM : School of American Research Press.
- 1986 Living in Truth. London : Faber and Faber.
- 1990 Yaozu (The Yao Nationality). Beijing : Minzu Chubanshe. , and
- 1983 Guangxi Yaozu shehui lishi diaocha (Investigation of the Social History of the Guangxi Yao). Nanning : Guangxi Minzu Chubanshe. , and
- 1990 Da Yao Shan Fengqing (Flirtatious Expressions of the Yao Mountains). Nanning : Guangxi Minzu Chubanshe. , and
- 1983 Pancun Yaozu (A Pan Yao Village). Beijing : Minzu Chubanshe. , and
- 1993 Ideologies of Realism in Modern China: The Hard Imperative of Imported Theory. In Politics, Ideology, and Literary Discourse in Modern China. LiuKang and TangXiaobing eds. Pp. 147–173. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 1995 Twilight Memories: Marking Time in a Culture of Amnesia. New York and London : Routledge.
- 1995 Discourses of the Vanishing: Modernity, Phantasm, Japan. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1996 The Temple of Memories: History, Power, and Morality in a Chinese Village. Stanford , CA : Stanford University Press.
- Jinxiu County Government 1984 Jinxiu Yaozu zizhixian gaikuang (A Survey of the Jinxiu Yao Autonomous County). Nanning : Guangxi Minzu Chubanshe.
- Jinxiu Editorial Group 1983 Yaozu Jianshi (A Concise History of the Yao). Nanning : Guangxi Minzu Chubanshe.
- 1996 Who Are the Mongols? State, Ethnicity, and the Politics of Representation in the PRC. In Negotiating Ethnicities in China and Taiwan. MelissaBrown ed. Pp. 125–159. Berkeley . China Research Monograph, Institute of East Asian Studies, University of California.
- 1981 Class Conflict in Chinese Socialism. New York : Columbia University Press.
- 1987 Taoist Ritual and Chinese Society and History. New York : MacMilliany.
- 1990 The Yao Nationality. Beijing : Renmin Chubanshe. , , , and
- 1994 From Memory to History: The Events of November 17 Dis/membered. In Memory, History, and Opposition under State Socialism. Rubie S.Watson ed. Pp. 87–104. Santa Fe , NM : School of American Research Press.
- 1991 The Yao of South China: Recent International Studies. Paris : Editions de l'A.F.E.Y. , and
- 1989 Unofficial China: Popular Culture and Thought in the People's Republic. Boulder , CO : Westview Press. , , and
- 1992 Returning the “Traditional” to a Socialist-Modern Landscape. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, San Francisco, December 2–6.
- 1994 Crafting the Modern Ethnic: Yao Representation and Identity in Post-Mao China. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Washington, Seattle .
- 1995 Making Histories: Contending Conceptions of the Yao Past. In Cultural Encounters on China's Ethnic Frontiers. StevanHarrell ed. Pp. 117–139. Seattle : University of Washington Press.
- 1998 The Politics of the Margin: Reimagining the State in Post-Mao China. In Cultures of Insecurity: States, Communities and the Production of Danger. JuttaWeldes, MarkLaffey, HughGusterson, and RaymondDuvall eds. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press.
- 1989 Shitan daojiao wenhua yu chashanyao minjian wenhua zhi guanxi (Exploring the Relationship between Daoist Culture and the Folk Culture of the Tea Mountain Yao). Zhongguo Daojiao 2:34–39.
- 1996 Postmodernity, Popular Culture, and the Intellectual: A Report on Post-Tiananmen China. Boundary 223(2):139–169.
- 1993 Reading National Geographic. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. , and
- 1994 Cannibal Tours. In Visualizing Theory: Selected Essays from the Visual Anthropology Review 1990–1994. LucienTaylor ed. Pp. 99–114. New York and London : Routledge.
- 1994 Reuniting the Ox Horn: Transnational Aspects of Iu-Mien Refugee Identity. Ph.D. dissertation, New School for Social Research, New York .
- 1995 Ethnography in/of the World System: The Emergence of Multi-Sited Ethnography. Annual Review of Anthropology 24:95–117.
- 1993 Female Images and National Myth. In Gender Politics in Modern China: Writing and Feminism. Tani E.Barlow ed. Pp. 118–136. Durham : Duke University Press.
- 1988 Colonizing Egypt. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1991 Parables and Fables: Exegesis, Textuality, and Politics in Central Africa. Madison : University of Wisconsin Press.
- 1993 How Native is the “Native” Anthropologist American Anthropologist 95:19–34.
- 1991 Introduction: China after Mao. Dialectical Anthropology 16(3–4):185–190.
- 1989 Between Memory and History: Les Lieux de Memorie. Representations 26(Spring):7–25.
- 1992 Cultural Geography and Chinese Ethnic Tourism. Journal of Cultural Geography 12(2):3–17.
- 1994 Recollections from “Beautiful Indonesia” (Somewhere beyond the Postmodern). Public Culture 6(2):241–262.
- 1981 Minzuxue de xin kaiduan (A New Beginning for Ethnology). Minzuxue yanjiu 1:1–8.
- 1996 Diasporic Mediations: Between Home and Location. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press.
- 1992 Rethinking Modernity: Space and Factory Discipline in China. Cultural Anthropology 7:93–114.
- 1989a Culture and Truth: The Remaking of Social Analysis. Boston : Beacon Press.
- 1989b Imperialist Nostalgia. Representations 26(Spring):107–122.
- 1996 Memory, Sacrifice, and the Nation. New Formations 30(Winter):8–17.
- 1994 The Consumption of Color and the Politics of White Skin in Post-Mao China. Social Text 41(Winter):141–164.
- 1996 The Other Goes to Market: The State, the Nation, and Unruliness in Contemporary China. Identities 2(3):197–222.
- 1997 Gender and Internal Orientalism. Modern China 23(l):69–98.
- 1995 China—the End of an Era. The Nation, July 17–24: 84–98.
- 1989 Agents and Victims in South China: Accomplices in Rural Revolution. New Haven , CT : Yale University Press.
- 1996 An Occupied Place. In Senses of Place. StevenFeld and Keith H.Basso eds. Pp. 137–166. Santa Fe , NM : School of American Research Press.
- 1996 What Was Socialism, and What Comes Next? Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press.
- 1996 High Culture Fever: Politics, Aesthetics, and Ideology in Deng's China. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1994a Making Secret Histories: Memory and Mourning in Post-Mao China. In Memory, History, and Opposition under State Socialism. Rubie S.Watson ed. Pp. 65–86. Santa Fe , NM : School of American Research Press.
- 1994b Memory, History, and Opposition under State Socialism: An Introduction. In Memory, History, and Opposition under State Socialism. Rubie S.Watson ed. Pp. 1–20. Santa Fe , NM : School of American Research Press.
- 1989 A Class Act: Anthropology and the Race to Nation Across Ethnic Terrain. Annual Review of Anthropology 18:401–444.
- 1996 Introduction: Premises of Power in Ethnic Politics. In The Politics of Difference: Ethnic Premises in a World of Power. Edwin N.Wilmsen and PatrickMcAllister eds. Pp. 1–24. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1989 Is China the End of Hermeneutics? Or, Political and Cultural Usages of Non-Han Women in Mainland Chinese Films. Discourse 11(2):115–136.
- 1994 Taming the Memoryscape: Hiroshima's Urban Renewal. In Remapping Memory. The Politics of Timescape. JonathanBoyarin ed. Pp. 99–135. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press.
- 1995 China Pop: How Soap Operas, Tabloids, and Bestsellers are Transforming a Culture. New York : The New Press.
- 1994 On Some Motifs in the Chinese “Cultural Fever” of the Late 1980s: Social Change, Ideology, and Theory. Social Text 39(Summer):129–156.
- 1986 Yaozu zongjiao lunji (Collected Essays on Yao Religion). Nanning : Guangxi Yaozu yanjiu xuehui.