Culture Sells: Cézanne and Corporate Identity
Article first published online: 8 JAN 2008
Volume 13, Issue 2, pages 256–282, May 1998
Total views since August 2010: 10
How to Cite
Ninetto, A. (1998), Culture Sells: Cézanne and Corporate Identity. Cultural Anthropology, 13: 256–282. doi: 10.1525/can.1922.214.171.1246
- Issue published online: 8 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 8 JAN 2008
- 1995 1995 Annual Report. Horsham , PA : Advanta Corporation.
- 1996a Special Advertising Section: Cézanne. Business Week, April 22.
- 1996b Advanta Corporation Celebrates Triumph of Cézanne Exhibition with Philadelphia Museum of Art: Evolution from Sponsorship to Partnership Yields Economic, Cultural, Philanthropic Success. Press release, September 5.
- 1996c 1996 Annual Report. Spring House , PA : Advanta Corporation.
- 1997a Advanta Corporation to Explore Strategic Alternatives to Maximize Shareholder Value, Provides Financial Outlook for 1997, Retains BT Wolfensohn to Assist in Exploration Process. Press release, March 17.
- 1997b Advanta to Report Earnings below Prior Expectations. Press release, March 17.
- 1997c Advanta Corporation, MasterCard International and VISA USA Reach Settlement out of Court over Rewards Accelerator Card Program. Press release, April 17.
- Advanta Corporation and Philadelphia Museum of Art 1996 Children's Cézanne: Exhibition Guide and Back-at-Home Sketchbook. Philadelphia : Advanta Corporation and Philadelphia Museum of Art.
- 1996 Is Anthropology Good for the Company American Anthropologist 98:735–742.
- 1979 Museums in Motion: An Introduction to the History and Functions of Museums. Nashville , TN : American Association for State and Local History.
- 1991 Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism. New York : Verso.
- Advanta Sales Report 1997 Of Advanta's Wounds, Some Were Self-inflicted. Asset Sales Report 11(12):1.
- Bank Marketing International 1996 Advanta Raises Its Profile. Bank Marketing International, July: 3.
- 1993 An Atmosphere of Effrontery: Richard Serra, Tilted Arc, and the Crisis of Public Art. In The Power of Culture: Critical Essays in American History. RichardWightman Fox and T. J.Jackson Lears, eds. Pp. 247–289. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- Cachin, Françoise, IsabelleCahn, WalterFeilchenfeldt, HenriLoyrette, and Joseph J.Rishel, eds. 1996 Cézanne. Philadelphia : Philadelphia Museum of Art.
- 1996 He Is the Man Who Paints. In Cézanne. FrançoiseCachin, IsabelleCahn, WalterFeilchenfeldt, HenriLoyrette, and Joseph J.Rishel eds. Pp. 13–16. Philadelphia : Philadelphia Museum of Art. , and
- Civilization 1997 A Cézanne for $1.98. Civilization 4(3):33.
- 1988 On Collecting Art and Culture. In The Predicament of Culture: Twentieth-Century Ethnography, Literature, and Art. Pp. 215–251. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.
- 1983 Representing Authority in Victorian India. In The Invention of Tradition. EricHobsbawm and TerenceRanger eds. Pp. 165–209. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1996 The Spectacular Record-Breaking Sold-Out Smash-Hit Blockbuster Super-show! A Phenomenon of Museum Culture. New Art Examiner 24(4):22–27.
- 1996 Cézanne-orama. Art Newspaper, July-August: 5.
- 1996 How Does Corporate Identity Work Campaign, September 27:36–38.
- 1997 Sponsored Identities: Cultural Politics in Puerto Rico. Philadelphia : Temple University Press.
- Des Moines Register 1996 Cézanne Show Draws Throngs to Philadelphia. Des Moines Register, August 25:6.
- 1996 Advanta Promotes Itself Artfully with Cézanne. Wilmington News-Journal, May 20: S1.
- 1970 Religion, Politics, and Society in the Individualistic Universe. Proceedings of the Royal Anthropological Institute: 31–41.
- 1996 Cézanne Boosts Philadelphia's Exchequer. Art in America, October: 31–33.
- 1996 Trend: Card Lenders Trying to Cash in on Brand Identity. American Banker, May 29:15.
- 1996 Banking on Cézanne: Advanta Goes for Maximum Return from Link to Art Exhibition. Advertising Age, September 16:32.
- 1992 Vinyl Leaves: Walt Disney World and America. Boulder , CO : Westview Press.
- 1997 Projection of Big Card Losses Lets Analyst Say 'Told You So'. American Banker, March 27:20.
- 1994 Developing an Effective Corporate Identity Program. Public Relations Journal 50(7):40.
- 1996 Exhibit Confirms Cézanne's Towering Influence. Durham Herald-Sun, June 7:4.
- 1988 Nationalism and the Politics of Culture in Quebec. Madison : University of Wisconsin Press.
- 1997 The New History in an Old Museum: Creating the Past at Colonial Williamsburg. Durham , NC : Duke University Press. , and
- 1965 Culture against Man. New York : Vintage.
- 1994 A New Center: The National Museum of Women in the Arts. In Museum Culture. DanielSherman and IritRogoff eds. Pp. 250–264. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press.
- Hobsbawm, Eric, and TerenceRanger, eds. 1983 The Invention of Tradition. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- IEG Sponsorship Report 1996 Financial Services Marketer Credits Gains to Museum Sponsorship. September 16:6–7.
- 1996 Status Queue. Museums Journal 96:21–23.
- 1963 Culture: A Critical Review of Concepts and Definitions, New York : Vintage. , and
- 1992 Marketing “Aztec. Museum News 71(6):28–30.
- 1992 Engineering Culture: Control and Commitment in a High-Tech Corporation. Philadelphia : Temple University Press.
- 1994 Fables of Abundance: A Cultural History of Advertising in America. New York : Basic Books.
- 1996 Cultural Strength Can Help Resolve an Identity Crisis. Marketing, September 5:21.
- 1988 The Constructive Uses of Deconstruction in the Ethnographic Study of Notable American Families. Anthropological Quarterly 61(1):3–16.
- 1985 Blockbuster Exhibitions. American Artist 49:26.
- 1996 True Masters. Computerworld, June 24:63.
- 1994 Culture and the Ad: Exploring Otherness in the World of Advertising. Boulder , CO : Westview Press.
- 1989 Corporate Identity: Making Business Strategy Visible through Design. Boston , MA : Harvard Business School Press.
- 1996 Better Image Translates to Better Sales. Marketing News 30(17):4–5.
- Philadelphia Museum of Art 1996 Cézanne Exhibition Has $86.5 Million Economic Impact: Museum Generates $122.5 Million for Philadelphia This Summer. Press release, September 5.
- 1996 A World of Apples. Newsweek, June 10:84.
- 1992 The C.E.O. as Corporate Myth-Maker: Negotiating the Boundaries of Work and Play at Domino's Pizza Company. In Symbols and Artifacts: Views of the Corporate Landscape. PasqualeGagliardi ed. Pp. 273–279. New York : Aldine de Gruyter.
- 1996 A Lasting Impressionist: In Philly, Cézanne as Never Before. Washington Post, June 2: G1.
- 1923 Le Maître Paul Cézanne. Paris : H. Floury.
- 1904 Von Ausstellungen und Sammlungen. Die Kunst für Alle 19(17):401–403.
- 1976 Culture and Practical Reason. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1996 How the Arts Can Prosper through Strategic Collaborations. Harvard Business Review 74(1):52–62. , and
- 1996 Cézanne Marketing Scores a Home Run. Baltimore Sun, September 1:1J.
- 1994 Defining the Corporate Voice. Across the Board 31(10):56–58.
- 1986 Selling Culture: Bloomingdale's, Diana Vreeland, and the New Aristocracy of Taste in Reagan's America. New York : Pantheon.
- 1986 Art History and the “Blockbuster” Exhibition. The Art Bulletin 68(3):358–359.
- 1993 A Masterful Art Coup. Philadelphia Inquirer, December 8: E1.
- 1989 The Billion-Dollar Blockbuster. ArtNews 88(7):39–40.
- 1996 Philly Lets Cézanne's Art Speak for Itself. Boston Globe, May 29:57.
- 1996 Cézanne: The Renegade Painter's Retrospective Wowed Them in Paris and London—Now It's Coming to Philadelphia. Bergen Record, May 25: L1.
- 1975 The Invention of Culture. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1986 The Art of Big Business. Art in America 74(6):28–32.
- 1997 A Hard Blow for Easy Credit. Business Week, March 31:39. , and
- 1996 How Many Pictures Have We Seen So Far? Some Observations about Two Recent Retrospectives: Johannes Vermeer and Cézanne. Curator, December: 288–293.
- 1958 Culture and Society: 1780–1950. New York : Columbia University Press.
- 1997 Maybe Not on the High Road, but They Travel Well. New York Times, May 4:25.