Material Consumers, Fabricating Subjects: Perplexity, Global Connectivity Discourses, and Transnational Feminist Research
Article first published online: 7 JAN 2008
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 524–550, November 2003
Total views since August 2010: 22
How to Cite
Ramamurthy, P. (2003), Material Consumers, Fabricating Subjects: Perplexity, Global Connectivity Discourses, and Transnational Feminist Research. Cultural Anthropology, 18: 524–550. doi: 10.1525/can.2003.18.4.524
- Issue published online: 7 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 7 JAN 2008
- Anagnost, Ann In press The Corporeal Politics of Quality. Public Culture (2004).
- 2000 The Asian Crisis, Gender and the International Financial Architecture. Feminist Economics 6(3):81–103. , and
- N.d. The Modern Girl around the World. Unpublished MS, University of Washington. , , , , , and
- 1995 Problematizing the Self: A Thematic Introduction. In Rhetorics of Self Making. DeboraBattaglia, ed. Pp. 1–22. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1999 Globalization, Gender and the Davos Man. Feminist Economics 5(3):61–84.
- 1992 Feminist Visions of Development: Gender, Analysis and Policy. Boulder : Westview Press. , and
- 1999 Liberalisation, Rural Labour Markets and the Mobilization of Farm Workers: The Haryana Story in an All-India Context. In Rural Labour Relations in India. T. J.Byres, KarinKapadia, and JensLerche, eds. Pp. 25–70. London : Frank Cass.
- 1995 States of Injury: Power and Freedom in Late Modernity. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 1997 The Impossibility of Women's Studies differences 9(3):79–101.
- 1996 Lifebuoy Men, Lux Women: Commodification, Consumption, and Cleanliness in Modern Zimbabwe. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 1993 Converting the Wet Lands, Engendering the Environment: The Intersection of Gender with Agrarian Change in the Gambia. Economic Geography 69(4):329–349.
- 2000 Millenial Capitalism: First Thoughts on a Second Coming. Public Culture 12(2):291–343. , and
- 2002 Spirit of Reliance. Electronic document, http://www.ril.com/spirit.htm, accessed January 4
- The Economist 1997 In Praise of Davos Man. The Economist, February 1:18.
- 1989 Bananas, Beaches, and Bases: Making Feminist Sense of International Politics. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1995 From Political Economy to Consumption. In Acknowledging Consumption. DanielMiller, ed. Pp. 127–163. London : Routledge.
- 1999 Melanesianist Anthropology in the Era of Globalization. The Contemporary Pacific 11(1):140–159.
- 1991 Practices and Sciences of the Self. In The Foucault Reader. PaulRabinow, ed. Pp. 331–380. London : Penguin.
- 2000 High Tech and High Heels in the Global Economy: Women, Work, and Pink-Collar Identities in the Caribbean. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 1994 Commodity Chains and Global Capitalism, Westport , CT : Greenwood Press. , and
- 2000 Against Race: Imagining Political Culture beyond the Color Line. Cambridge , MA : Belknap Press.
- 1995 Globalising Indian Textiles: Threats and Opportunities. Bombay : Tecoya. , and
- 2002 In the Time of Trees and Sorrows: Nature, Power, and Memory in Rajasthan. Durham , NC : Duke University Press. , and
- Government of India 2001a Census of India, 2001. Electronic document, http://www.censusindia.net/, accessed March 17, 2002
- Government of India 2001b The Economic Survey, 2000–01. Electronic document, http://indiabudget. nic, accessed March 17, 2002
- Government of India 2002 The Economic Survey, 2001–02. Electronic document, http://indiabudget. nic, accessed March 17, 2002
- 1999 Travelling Barbie: Indian Transnationality and New Consumer Subjects, Positions: east asia cultures critique 7(3):799–826.
- 1994 Scattered Hegemonies: Postmodernity and Transnational Feminist Practices. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press. , and
- 2000 Salaula: The World of Secondhand Clothing and Zambia. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 2000 Commodities and Globalization: Anthropological Perspectives. Lanham , MD : Rowman and Littlefield. , , and
- Hindu 2001 Per Capita Availability of Cloth Rises. The Hindu, January 2.
- 1994 Conclusions about Commodity Chains. In Commodity Chains and Global Capitalism. GaryGereffi and MiguelKorzeniewicz, eds. Pp. 48–50. Westport , CT : Greenwood Press. , and
- 1995 A World without Boundaries”: The Body Shop's Trans/National Geographies. Social Text 43: 45–66.
- 1997 Fables of Responsibility: Aberrations and Predicaments in Ethics and Politics. Stanford : Stanford University Press.
- 1987 The Internal African Frontier: The Making of African Culture. In The African Frontier. IgorKopytoff, ed. Pp. 3–84. Bloomington : Indiana University Press.
- 1986 Patriarchy and Accumulation on a World Scale. London : Zed.
- 1993 Ecofeminism. London : Zed. , and
- 1987 Spirits of Resistance and Capitalist Discipline: Factory Women in Malaysia. Albany : SUNY Press.
- Why Is Buying a “Madras” Cotton Shirt a Political Act?: A Feminist Commodity Chain Analysis. Feminist Studies.
- Reliance Industries Limited 2002 Company Website. Electronic document, http://www.ril.com, accessed January 4
- 1998 Development or Distortion Powerlooms in India Economic and Political Weekly 33: 897–911.
- 1999 Growth and Recession in Small-Scale Industry: A Study of Tamil Nadu Powerlooms. Economic and Political Weekly 34: 3137–3145.
- 2002 Spirit of Reliance. Electronic document, http://ril.com/spirit.htm, accessed January 4
- 2002 Spirit of Reliance. Electronic document, http.V/ril.corn/spirit.htm, accessed January 4
- 1998 Social Movements and Global Capitalism. In The Cultures of Globalization. FredricJameson and MasaoMiyoshi, eds. Pp. 291–311. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 1988 Can the Subaltern Speak? In Marxism and the Interpretation of Culture. GaryNelson and LawrenceGrossberg, eds. Pp. 271–313. Urbana : University of Illinois Press.
- 1992 Thinking Academic Freedom in Gendered Post-Coloniality. 32nd T. B. Davie Memorial Lecture presented at the University of Cape Town, Cape Town.
- 1999 A Critique of Postcolonial Reason: Toward a History of the Vanishing Present. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.
- 2000 Lived Effects of the Contemporary Economy: Globalization, Inequality, and Consumer Society. Public Culture 12(2):375–409.
- United Nations 1999 World Survey on the Role of Women in Development. New York : United Nations.
- 2002 Thug Realism: Inhabiting Fantasy in Urban Tanzania. Cultural Anthropology 17(1):93–124.
- 1995 The Local and the Global in the Political Economy of Beauty: From Miss Belize to Miss World. Review of International Political Economy 2(1):117–134.
- 1992 Factory Daughters: Gender, Household Dynamics, and Rural Industrialization in Java. Berkeley : University of California Press.