Desired Publics, Domestic Government, and Entangled Fears: On the Anthropology of Civil Society, Farm Workers, and White Farmers in Zimbabwe
Article first published online: 7 JAN 2008
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 122–153, February 2004
Total views since August 2010: 8
How to Cite
Rutherford, B. (2004), Desired Publics, Domestic Government, and Entangled Fears: On the Anthropology of Civil Society, Farm Workers, and White Farmers in Zimbabwe. Cultural Anthropology, 19: 122–153. doi: 10.1525/can.2004.19.1.122
- Issue published online: 7 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 7 JAN 2008
- 2000 The Enduring Appeal of “Technical Development” in Zimbabwe's Agrarian Reform. In Land Reform in Zimbabwe: Constraints and Possibilities. TanyaBowyer-Bower and ColinStoneman, eds. Pp. 133–144. Aldershot , UK : Ashgate.
- 2001 Elections, Land and the Politics of Opposition in Matabeleland. Journal of Agrarian Change 1(4):510–533. , and
- 1996 Invisible Hands: Women in Zimbabwe's Commercial Farm Sector. Southern African Feminist Review 2(1):37–57.
- 1996 Bringing Civil Society to an Uncivilised Place: Citizenship Regimes in Russia's Arctic Frontier. In Civil Society: Challenging Western Models. ChrisHann and ElizabethDunn, eds. Pp. 99–120. London : Routledge.
- 2000 From Bus Stop to Farm Village: The Farm Worker Programme in Zimbabwe. Harare , Zimbabwe : Save the Children (UK).
- 2001 Global Showdown: Citizen Politics and the WTO. Toronto : Stoddart. , and
- 2002 Zimbabwe, South Africa, and the Politics of Bourgeois Democracy. Monthly Review 54(1):32–45.
- 2001 Child Sponsorship, Evangelism, and Belonging in the Work of World Vision, Zimbabwe. American Ethnologist 28(3):595–622.
- 1996 The Politics of Discursive Authority in Research on the “Invention of Tradition Cultural Anthropology 11(4):435–469.
- 1996 Lifebuoy Men, Lux Women: Commodification, Consumption, and Cleanliness in Modern Zimbabwe. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- CFU (Commercial Farmers' Union) 2002 Land Facts: The Current Status as Regards Listing of Farms as at 17 April 2002. Harare , Zimbabwe : CFU.
- 2000 Two Poets and Death: On Civil and Political Society in the Non-Christian World. In Questions of Modernity. TimothyMitchell, ed. Pp. 35–48. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press.
- 2001 A Time for Tea: Women, Labor, and Post/Colonial Politics on an Indian Plantation. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 1977 Agricultural and Plantation Workers in Rhodesia: A Report on Conditions of Labour and Subsistence. Gwelo , Rhodesia : Mambo Press.
- 1992 Civil Society and Political Theory. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press. , and
- 1991 Of Revelation and Revolution, vol 1: Christianity, Colonialism, and Consciousness in South Africa. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. , and
- 2000 Millennial Capitalism: First Thoughts on a Second Coming. Public Culture 12(2):291–343. , and
- 1997 Of Revelation and Revolution, vol 2: Chicago : University of Chicago Press. , and
- 1999 Introduction. In Civil Society and the Political Imagination in Africa: Critical Perspectives. JohnComaroff and JeanComaroff, eds. Pp. 1–43. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. , and
- 1997 Identifying and Engendering the Forms of Emergent Civil Societies: New Directions in Political Anthropology. Political and Legal Anthropology Review 20(1):1–12.
- 1997 Marriage in Maradi: Gender and Culture in a Hausa Society in Niger, 1900–1989. Portsmouth , NH : Heinemann.
- 1996 Decolonization and African Society: The Labor Question in French and British Africa. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1997 The Fractured Community: Landscapes of Power and Gender in Rural Zambia. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- DFID (Department for International Development) 1998 Programme for the Empowerment of Farm Worker Communities in Zimbabwe Project Submission Document. London : DFID.
- 2000 Ethnography and the Meta-Narratives of Modernity. Current Anthropology 41(2):225–248. , and
- 1999 Expectations of Modernity: Myths and Meanings of Urban Life on the Zambian Copperbelt. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- Transnational Topographies of Power: Beyond “the State” and “Civil Society” in the Study of African Politics. In The Forces of Globalization. GabrielleSchwab, ed. New York : Columbia University Press.
- 2002 Spatializing States: Toward an Ethnography of Neoliberal Governmentality. American Ethnologist 29(4):981–1002. , and
- 1997 DOING GOOD? The Politics and Antipolitics of NGO Practices. Annual Review of Anthropology 26: 439–464.
- 1983 The Subject and Power. In Michel Foucault: Beyond Structuralism and Hermeneutics. HubertL. Dreyfus and PaulRabinow, eds. LeslieSawyer, trans. Pp. 208–226. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1991 Governmentality. In The Foucault Effect: Studies in Governmentality. GrahamBurchell, ColinGordon, and PeterMiller, eds. Pp. 87–104. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1993 Rethinking the Public Sphere: A Contribution to the Critique of Actually Existing Democracy. In The Public Sphere. BruceRobbins, ed. Pp. 1–32. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press.
- 1997 Feminism and Civil Society. In Transitions, Environments, Translations: Feminisms in International Politics. JoanW. Scott, CoraKaplan, and DebraKeates, eds. Pp. 30–45. New York : Routledge.
- 1999 Developing Bushmen: Building Civil(ized) Society in the Kalahari and Beyond. In Civil Society and the Political Imagination in Africa: Critical Perspectives. JohnComaroff and JeanComaroff, eds. Pp. 72–103. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1997 Discipline and Practice: “The Field” as Site, Method and Location in Anthropology. In Anthropological Locations: Boundaries and Grounds of a Field Science. AkhilGupta and JamesFerguson, eds. Pp. 1–46. Berkeley : University of California Press. , and
- 1984 White Liberals, Moderates and Radicals in Rhodesia 1953–1980. New York : Palgrave.
- 1996 Introduction: Political Society and Civil Anthropology. In Civil Society: Challenging Western Models. ChrisHann and ElizabethDunn, eds. Pp. 1–26. London : Routledge.
- Hanson, Karen Tranberg, ed. 1992 African Encounters with Domesticity. New Brunswick , NJ : Rutgers University Press.
- 2000 War Vets Threaten War if Zanu (PF) Loses Election. Electronic document, http://www.herald.co.zw/, accessed March 16 (Zimbabwe)
- 1999 Refugees and Squatters: Immigration and the Politics of Territory on the Zimbabwe-Mozambique Border. Journal of Southern African Studies 25(4):533–552.
- 1995 The Civil Society Debate in Africa. International Journal 51(1):54–77.
- 2001 Zimbabwe's Labour Relations Policies and the Implications for Farm Workers. In Zimbabwe's Farm Workers: Policy Dimensions. DedeAmanor-Wilks, ed. Pp. 86–114. Lusaka , Zambia : Panos Southern Africa.
- 2000 On Discourse and Power: “Cults” and “Orientals American Ethnologist 26(4):843–863. , and
- 1999 Civil Society and Its Presuppositions: Lessons from Uganda. In Civil Society and the Political Imagination in Africa: Critical Perspectives. JohnComaroff and JeanComaroff, eds. Pp. 104–123. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1988 Introduction. In Civil Society and the State: New European Perspectives. JohnKeane, ed. Pp. 1–31. London : Verso.
- 1985 The Law of the Land: Party and State in Rural Zimbabwe. Journal of Southern African Studies 12(1):88–101. , and
- 2000 Fashioned Forest Pasts, Occluded Histories? International Environmental Analysis in West African Locales. Development and Change 31(1):35–59. , and
- 1992 Modern Plantation Agriculture. London : Zed Books.
- 1998 Ethnography through Thick and Thin. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 2002 The Politics of Disruption: War Veterans and the Local State in Zimbabwe. African Affairs 101: 9–37.
- 2001 Nongovernmental Organizations, Grassroots, and the Politics of Virtue. Signs 26(4):1187–1211.
- 1991 The Limits of the State: Beyond Statist Approaches and their Critics. American Political Science Review 85(1):77–96.
- 1999 The Crucible of Cultural Politics: Reworking ‘Development’ in Zimbabwe's Eastern Highlands. American Ethnologist 26(3):654–689.
- 1995 The Land Question in Zimbabwe. Harare , Zimbabwe : SAPES Books.
- 2000 Land Reform under Structural Adjustment in Zimbabwe. Uppsala , Sweden : Nordiska Afrikainstitutet.
- 2001 The Land Occupations Movement and Democratisation: The Contradictions of the Neoliberal Agenda in Zimbabwe. Millennium 30(2):311–330.
- 2000 NGOS, the State and Politics in Zimbabwe. Harare , Zimbabwe : SAPES Books. , , and
- 2000 Land Reform and Changing Social Relations for Farm Workers in Zimbabwe. Review of African Political Economy 84: 181–202. , , and
- 1977 Land and Racial Domination in Rhodesia. London : Heinemann.
- 2002 Neoliberalizing Space. Antipode 34(3):380–404. , and
- 2001 The Labour Movement and the Emergence of Opposition Politics in Zimbabwe. In The Labour Movement in Zimbabwe: Problems and Prospects. BrianRaftopoulos and LloydSachikonye, eds. Pp. 1–24. Harare , Zimbabwe : Weaver Press.
- 2002 Briefing: Zimbabwe's 2002 Presidential Election. African Affairs 101: 413–426.
- 1985 Peasant Consciousness and Guerrilla War in Zimbabwe. London : James Currey.
- Reilly, Charles, ed. 1995 New Paths to Democratic Development in Latin America. Boulder : Lynne Rienner.
- 1998 A Most Promising Weed: A History of Tobacco Farming and Labor in Colonial Zimbabwe, 1890–1945. Athens , OH : Ohio University Center for International Studies.
- 1997a Another Side to Rural Zimbabwe: Social Constructs and the Administration of Farm Workers in Urungwe District, 1940s. Journal of Southern African Studies 23(1):107–126.
- 1997b Civil (Dis)Obedience and Social Development in Sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America: A Research Agenda on the Role of Civil Society Organizations in Social Policy Reform. Assessment of Social Policy Reform Program Initiative Working Paper Series #3. Ottawa : International Development Research Centre.
- 1997c The Power Plays of Identities on Commercial Farms in Zimbabwe: “Law and Gender” in Southern Africa Revisited. Anthropologica 39(1–2):105–112.
- 2001a Working on the Margins: Black Workers, White Farmers in Postcolonial Zimbabwe. London : Zed Books.
- 2001b Farm Workers and Trade Unions in Hurungwe District in Post-Colonial Zimbabwe. In Striking Back: The Labour Movement and the Post-Colonial State in Zimbabwe, 1980–2000. BrianRaftopoulos and LloydSachikonye, eds. Pp. 197–220. Harare , Zimbabwe : Weaver Press.
- 2001c Commercial Farm Workers and the Politics of (Dis)Placement in Zimbabwe: Colonialism, Liberation and Democracy. Journal of Agrarian Change 1(4):626–651.
- Settlers” and Zimbabwe: Politics, Memory, and the Anthropology of Commercial Farms during a Time of Crisis. Identities.
- 2000 Learning about Power: Development and Marginality in an Adult Literacy Center for Farm Workers in Zimbabwe. American Ethnologist 27(4):839–854. , and
- 1999 Zimbabwe's Agrarian Answer: The Rhetoric of Redistribution. Cultural Survival Quarterly 22(4):56–59. , and
- 2003 The Situation of Commercial Farm Workers after Land Reform in Zimbabwe. London : Catholic Institute for International Relations.
- 1996 The Deployment of Civil Energy in Indonesia: Assessment of an Authentic Solution. In Civil Society: Challenging Western Models. ChrisHann and ElizabethDunn, eds. Pp. 178–198. London : Routledge.
- 1999 Refashioning Futures: Criticism after Postcoloniality. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 1993 Civil Societies in an Internationalized Africa. Social Dynamics 19(2):41–69. , and
- Sunday Mail (Zimbabwe) 2002 Minister Clarifies Citizenship Issue. Electronic document, http://www.sundaymail.co.zw/, accessed November 24
- 2000 Producing Women and Progress in Zimbabwe. Portsmouth : Heinemann.
- 2000 Inside the Economy of Appearances. Public Culture 12(1):115–144.
- VanRooy, Alison, ed. 1998 Civil Society and the Aid Industry. London : Earthscan.
- 1998 Smoke from the Barrel of a Gun: Postwars of the Dead, Memory and Reinscription in Zimbabwe. In Memory and the Postcolony: African Anthropology and the Critique of Power. RichardWerbner, ed. Pp. 71–102. London : Zed Books.
- 2000 Discipline Without Oppression”: Sequence, Timing and Marginality in Southern Rhodesia's Post-War Development Regime. Journal of African History 41(1):01–125.
- 2001 A Redivided Land? New Agrarian Conflicts and Questions in Zimbabwe. Journal of Agrarian Change 1(4):475–509.
- ZSG (Zimbabwe Surveyor General) 1998 Land Classification Map of Zimbabwe. 2nd edition. Harare , Zimbabwe : ZSG.