Election Day: The Construction of Democracy through Technique
Version of Record online: 7 JAN 2008
Volume 19, Issue 4, pages 551–580, November 2004
How to Cite
Coles, K. A. (2004), Election Day: The Construction of Democracy through Technique. Cultural Anthropology, 19: 551–580. doi: 10.1525/can.2004.19.4.551
- Issue online: 7 JAN 2008
- Version of Record online: 7 JAN 2008
- 1988 Modern Political Ritual: Ethnography of an Inauguration and a Pilgrimage by President Mitterrand. Current Anthropology 29:391–399.
- 1992 Black Critics and Kings: The Hermeneutics of Power in Yoruba Society. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 2002 The Anti-Political Economy. Economy and Society 31(2):268–284.
- 2002 Introduction: The Technological Economy. Economy and Society 31(2):175–193. , and
- 1997 Ritual: Perspectives and Dimensions. New York : Oxford University Press.
- 1985 Habits of the Heart: Individualism and Commitment in American Life. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1999 Democracy and Violence in Brazil. Comparative Studies in Society and History 41(4):691–729. , and
- 1998 The Laws of the Markets. Oxford : Blackwell.
- 1986 Mapping the Dynamics of Science and Technology: Sociology of Science in the Real World. London : Macmillan. , , and
- 1998 National Deconstruction: Violence, Identity, and Justice in Bosnia. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press.
- 1999 Bosnia: Faking Democracy after Dayton. London : Pluto Press.
- 2003 The Object of Elections: International Workers, Electoral Practices, and the Government of Democracy in Post-War Bosnia-Herzegovina. Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Anthropology, University of California, Irvine .
- 1993 Modernity and its Malcontents: Ritual and Power in Postcolonial Africa. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. , and
- 1997 What Makes Elections Free and Fair Journal of Democracy 8(3):32–61. , and
- 1994 The Anti-Politics Machine: “Development,” Depoliticization, and Bureaucratic Power in Lesotho. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press.
- 1999 Ballots and Bullets: The Elusive Democratic Peace. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 1999a Blueprints for a House Divided: The Constitutional Logic of the Yugoslav Conflicts. Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press.
- 1999b Humanitarian Hypocrisy. Eastern European Constitutional Review 8(2). Electronic document, http://www.law.nyu.edu/eecr/vol8num3/feature/hypocrisy.html, accessed February 2001.
- 2002 Democracy—Dictatorships of Virtue? States, NGOs, and the Imposition of Democratic Values. Harvard International Review 24(2):56–62.
- 1998 Democracy, Law, and Violence: Disjunctions of Brazilian Citizenship. In Fault Lines of Democracy in Post-Transition Latin America. FelipeAgüero and JeffreyStark, eds. Pp. 263–298. Boulder : Lynne Rienner Press. , and
- Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance 2002 Voter turnout from 1945 to Date: Compulsory Voting. Electronic document, http://www.idea.int/vt/analysis/Compulsory_Voting.cfm, accessed September 4, 2004.
- International Committee of Red Cross 1997 The Silent Menace: Landmines in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Geneva : International Committee of the Red Cross.
- International Crisis Group 1996 Elections in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Sarajevo : International Crisis Group.
- 1988 Ritual, Politics, and Power. New Haven , CT : Yale University Press.
- 1996 Politics and Symbols: The Italian Communist Party and the Fall of Communism. New Haven , CT : Yale University Press.
- 1988 The Pasteurization of France. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.
- 1999 Pandora's Hope: Essays on the Reality of Science Studies. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.
- 1986 Laboratory Life: The Construction of Scientific Facts. Princeton : Princeton University Press. , and
- 1999 Actor Network Theory and After. Oxford : Blackwell. , and
- 1999 Where and When Was Democracy Invented Comparative Studies in Society and History 41(4):660–690.
- 1999 The Sociodrama of Presidential Politics: Rhetoric, Ritual, and Power in the Era of Teledemocracy. American Anthropologist 101(2):359–373.
- 1977 Secular Ritual. Assen , the Netherlands : Van Gorcum. , and
- 2002 Introduction: The Comparative Study of Electoral Governance. Special issue, International Political Science Review 23(1):5–27. , and
- 1996 Aiding—And Defining—Democracy. World Policy Journal 13(1):97–108. , and
- Organization for Security and Co-Operation in Europe 1997 Polling and Counting Manual: Republika Srpska National Assembly Election. Sarajevo : OSCE.
- 2002 The Post-War “Democratic Reconstruction Model”: Why It Can't Work. Paper presented at United States Institute of Peace, June 18.
- 2002 Toward an Anthropology of Democracy. The Annual Review of Anthropology 31:469–496.
- 2002 Security and Pleasure: De-Politicizing, De-Totalizing, Re-Naturalizing Biopower. Paper presented at the 101st Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, New Orleans, November 21.
- 2003 Contract of Mutual (In)Difference: Governance and Humanitarian Apparatus in Albania and Kosovo. Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies 10(1):369–381.
- 1998 Mediating Elections. Journal of Democracy 9(1):154–163.
- 1999 French DNA: Trouble in Purgatory. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 1999 Testing Women, Testing the Fetus: the Social Impact of Amniocentesis in America. New York : Routledge.
- 1997 The Democratic Path to Peace. Journal of Democracy 8(2):49–64.
- 1991 What Democracy Is… and Is Not. Journal of Democracy 2(3):75–88. , and
- 1947 Capitalism, Socialism, and Democracy. New York : Harper and Brothers.
- United Nations Development Programme 1998 Human Development Report, Bosnia and Herzegovina 1998. Sarajevo : United Nations Development Programme.
- 1992 Forms. In Deconstruction and the Possibility of Justice. DrucillaCornell, MichelRosenfeld, and David GrayCarlson, eds. Pp. 258–262. New York : Routledge.